LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Right I see what you mean yes if I still used the n4 they could yes ......... not sure they would provide nfc, sbeam etc anyway would they?

but in any event you would be installing x amount of apps for features already built in on another phone.

Aside from access to immediate updates though there are too many issues with the n4 that just irked me too much to be really happy with it.

Isn't the feature on the S3 essentially an installed feature? Its not built into Android so Samsung must have added it, why is thus different than an app installed from the play store?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Isn't the feature on the S3 essentially an installed feature? Its not built into Android so Samsung must have added it, why is thus different than an app installed from the play store?

Yes they have as well as some other features that as I mentioned earlier I thought were part of stock android for some reason. My last couple of phones being samsung lost touch a bit in what was stock and samsung additions.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    They go in the notifications bar, I currently use power toggles that I recommended earlier.

I have for example battery percentage displaying all the time and a toggle for torch, tether, data, sync, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and brightness. You can customise it to have what you like.

Some people don't like searching the play store or installing apps :p
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »

Some people think installing extra apps taking up storage and ram (especially with no sd slot ;) ) for functions that improve things silly
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol I just don't see how it differs from a PC, first thing I do when I buy a new laptop is do a clean install of windows to remove the apps the manufacturer puts on. I can see why custom ROMs are populkar .
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Well it seems like google don't want any one else to buy their phone, twice today I tried to buy the Nexus4 and twice it failed, that is nearly 3 days now. if Google can't get that right maybe I Should look at another Os.

I ordered another one yesterday afternoon with no problems for the missus..

Few people i know have ordered over the last few days as well with no problems. What is it doing to you?
    Forum Member
    I can

*cough* custom ROM .....

What ROM are you using?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

Few people i know have ordered over the last few days as well with no problems. What is it doing to you?

Very strange, I tried it on this computer using windows and booted to linux and still no go, I logged in two different ways, use a different network.
    All goes fine until the very last step of payment and it comes out with this

Uh oh. There was a problem.

We couldn't complete your purchase because of a technical issue.
    Details of the problem below:
    Sorry, we were unable to process this request. The order has been automatically cancelled and you will not be charged for the purchase. Please try again later.
    130220 07:09:33+0000 KNM6HZ 5bd45e

Edit.

just done it again, but changed the debit card, to the same debit card and it went through. Very strange. Lets hope the thing is worth it now.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Very strange, I tried it on this computer using windows and booted to linux and still no go, I logged in two different ways, use a different network.
    All goes fine until the very last step of payment and it comes out with this

Uh oh. There was a problem.

We couldn't complete your purchase because of a technical issue.
    Details of the problem below:
    Sorry, we were unable to process this request. The order has been automatically cancelled and you will not be charged for the purchase. Please try again later.
    130220 07:09:33+0000 KNM6HZ 5bd45e

Edit.

just done it again, but changed the debit card, to the same debit card and it went through. Very strange. Lets hope the thing is worth it now.

Yeah, rather weird!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just go in with an open mind :)
    Forum Member
    What ROM are you using?

Don't forget I'm on a galaxy nexus myself but I'm using "purity" ROM. kids haven't let me root/flash their N4s yet but I think my daughter is wavering :D

Stiggles - I thought you were getting rid not buying more :o
    Forum Member
    Some people think installing extra apps taking up storage and ram (especially with no sd slot ;) ) for functions that improve things silly

???

Whether an app is built in or installed as extra it still would take up pretty much the same space on an n4 surely ? With stock you have the option to not install the stuff you want.....

ROMs with no apps are physically smaller than ones with apps cooked in ......
    Forum Member
    ???

Whether an app is built in or installed as extra it still would take up pretty much the same space on an n4 surely ? With stock you have the option to not install the stuff you want.....

ROMs with no apps are physically smaller than ones with apps cooked in ......

I think we can all agree that something as part of the os is far more efficient than a third party app being loaded. Especially in terms of system ram.
    Forum Member
    Don't forget I'm on a galaxy nexus myself but I'm using "purity" ROM. kids haven't let me root/flash their N4s yet but I think my daughter is wavering :D

Stiggles - I thought you were getting rid not buying more :o

I always find it strange that those with a n4 would root and custom rom which negates the purpose of why they bought the nexus :confused:
    Forum Member
    I think we can all agree that something as part of the os is far more efficient than a third party app being loaded. Especially in terms of system ram.

Depends on the app and the coder. Slightly different I know but customers kernels are often way more efficient than stock for example.

And why have a fixed app burnt into the system and updated once in a blue moon when you can have the app that you want that is updated regularly by the dev.

Just two different preferences really....
    Forum Member
    I always find it strange that those with a n4 would root and custom rom which negates the purpose of why they bought the nexus :confused:

Not at all.
    Some people didn't buy the nexus for its software, so buy it for the hardware/price.

For others it tends to be the most popular phone for developers to work on (as its pure android) so ROMs tend to be less buggy and more stable. In which case if you want to tinker and flash ROMs its probably the best phone to have.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly.
    Forum Member
    Not at all.
    Some people didn't buy the nexus for its software, so buy it for the hardware/price.

For others it tends to be the most popular phone for developers to work on (as its pure android) so ROMs tend to be less buggy and more stable. In which case if you want to tinker and flash ROMs its probably the best phone to have.

Yeah but we are talking about you not some people.

In one post your extolling the virtues of regular updates on the next you are installing custom roms removing the ability to get regular updates. Then you say that why have things pre installed stock android allows you to install an app for all you need yet you do away with stock android in favour of what features? ?

You can see why someone may be confused here.
    Forum Member
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

As above. The Dev community is big for the Nexus devices. This means that those who arent happy with the 'bleeding edge' can go even more advanced !

Plus rooting and flashign are very different. Rooting has benefits even if you never want to flash a custome ROM.

You can also gain huge performance and battery benefits from flashing custom kernels.

Some of us just like to tinker with our phones. No harm in that :D

(unless we break them :p)
    Forum Member
    Yeah but we are talking about you not some people.

In one post your extolling the virtues of regular updates on the next you are installing custom roms removing the ability to get regular updates. Then you say that why have things pre installed stock android allows you to install an app for all you need yet you do away with stock android in favour of what features? ?

You can see why someone may be confused here.

Erm. the ROMs i use tend to get the latest updates within days. But thats my Galaxy Nexus phone (which I tinker with). My Nexus 7 is stock and unrooted as its the 'family tablet' and they wouldnt be impressed if i broke it. The kids both have Nexus 4's which are also unrooted and on stock.

I can see benefits to the Nexus range by staying on stock. I also have an addiction to tinkering.

I also have a TF101 (Asus Transformer) which is rooted and ROM'd to give it the latest version of the OS too.

Does that remove any confusion ? Im not sure its all that complex ..... :confused:

IMHO If you want the latest version of the OS go Nexus
    IMHO If you want the most stable and up to date ROMs go Nexus
    IMHO If you want a decent quality phone at a very decent price go Nexus

If neither of the above are of interest (and to the majority they wont be) then there are plenty of other options out there.

Im not arguing against choice at all. All ive been saying is that most (all ?) features that are available in Touchwiz, Sense etc are also available as apps - partly because if the clever devs out there like something they will take it and recreate it. There are hundreds of 'Sense clocks' out there on the store, several floating video/browser apps, apps that integrate Facebook with stock Android etc etc.

My preference is to pick and choose the apps that i need/want. Yours isnt. Neither of us is more right than the other.
    Forum Member
    Oh and my MK802 v2 and MK802 v3 are both stock although i might flash the v3 as it has some wifi issues that might be fixable. :)
    Forum Member
    Admittedly though that has only come in in 4.2.2

S3 owners will probably never see such an advanced version of android though :p (please note the smiley again !!!)
    Erm. the ROMs i use tend to get the latest updates within days. But thats my Galaxy Nexus phone (which I tinker with). My Nexus 7 is stock and unrooted as its the 'family tablet' and they wouldnt be impressed if i broke it. The kids both have Nexus 4's which are also unrooted and on stock.

I can see benefits to the Nexus range by staying on stock. I also have an addiction to tinkering.

I also have a TF101 (Asus Transformer) which is rooted and ROM'd to give it the latest version of the OS too.

Does that remove any confusion ? Im not sure its all that complex ..... :confused:

IMHO If you want the latest version of the OS go Nexus
    IMHO If you want the most stable and up to date ROMs go Nexus
    IMHO If you want a decent quality phone at a very decent price go Nexus

If neither of the above are of interest (and to the majority they wont be) then there are plenty of other options out there.

Im not arguing against choice at all. All ive been saying is that most (all ?) features that are available in Touchwiz, Sense etc are also available as apps - partly because if the clever devs out there like something they will take it and recreate it. There are hundreds of 'Sense clocks' out there on the store, several floating video/browser apps, apps that integrate Facebook with stock Android etc etc.

My preference is to pick and choose the apps that i need/want. Yours isnt. Neither of us is more right than the other.

Oh ok I c ... Just seems that previously you seemed to be saying that theres an app for that and talking about latest versions you will get. Then you talk about custom roms just had me confused ... perhaps just me then.

You will hardly be able to guarantee stability from any custom rom that I know of nor am I sure what you mean by latest version every few days? unless you are using nightly builds.

Any way I have nowt against rooting / roms but not sure why you are holding the nexus up in this regard the s3 community is equally as active so not specific to the n4.

If I was to mod any phone probably the n4 would be way down on the list as the only reason for me to buy it would be latest version updates.
    Forum Member
    Oh ok I c ... Just seems that previously you seemed to be saying that theres an app for that and talking about latest versions you will get. Then you talk about custom roms just had me confused ... perhaps just me then.

You will hardly be able to guarantee stability from any custom rom that I know of nor am I sure what you mean by latest version every few days? unless you are using nightly builds.

Any way I have nowt against rooting / roms but not sure why you are holding the nexus up in this regard the s3 community is equally as active so not specific to the n4.

If I was to mood any phone probably the n4 would be easy down on the list as the only reason for me to buy it would be latest version updates.

No but with the Nexus lines all the drivers etc are 'stock' but yes the S2/S3 communities have always been fairly active based mostly on the sheer number of owners.

with regards to ROMs i spent much of my time on de-oxed stock which allows customisations but it basically still stock. These get updates within days (hours ?) of any new stock updates. The one im currently on on my Gnex, however, is not stock and is still waiting for a 4.2.2 update.

Sometimes custom ROMs are more buggy than stock but sometimes they can actually be more stable. Any known bug-fixes in stock can be repaired very quickly and rolled out by Devs. You will often find that custom ROMs and kernels can improve speed and (more improtantly these days) battery life significantly. You sometimes find that features developed in custom ROMs actually get built into stock at a later stage.

But to be honest I mostly do it because i love to tinker :) it all started with a T-Mobile Vario thingy that was on windows mobile 6.5 ... horrendous until you started to use custom builds :D

Oh .. and by 'latest versions within days' i was implying that when a new version of Android is released many ROMs are updated to include the changes very quickly. Not that ROM devs had some fast path to pre-release versions :)
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stiggles mate you're all over the place!!! Caught between an S3 and an N4!!! :D

So you keeping the N4?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »

Not me. Stock Android is way to good.