Is ITV1 The Worst Of The 5 Main Channels?

2»

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What gets me about ITV is its obsession with forcing its soap operas down your neck at every given moment. It's bad enough having hour after hour of Emmerdale & Coronation Street, but not content with that ITV have decided every other show seemingly has to be filled with current or ex/has-been soap stars. Think Family Fortunes, Mr & Mrs, Catchphrase. Even It'll be Alright... Is just full of ITV soaps
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember ITV will no longer get priority as far as new and first run drama is concerned. That privilege will now go to ITV Encore of which you have to subscribe to Sky for. Of course you will eventually get to see what shows on ITV Encore but in effect ITV has now been reduced to ITV3 status.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »

BBC doesn't rely on advertising, but in turn has less budget to rely on than ITV.

Don't know where you get that idea from. BBC1's programme budget is around 35% greater than ITV's.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see the cycling do well on ITV this weekend as its a break from the norm but its unlikely because people don't expect something good as that nowadays :(
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Don't know where you get that idea from. BBC1's programme budget is around 35% greater than ITV's.

It is not ... Refer to page 8 of the ofcom report
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/reviews-investigations/psb-review/psb2013/output_and_spend.pdf

In 2012. BBC one £848m itv £814m.
    Not much difference and when you allow for BBC doing about 58 mins an hour
    and itv say 50 mins an hour ... The minutage makes the BBC cheaper.
    It is worth noting that in 2007 itv spent £987m to BBC £943m

Also in 2012 BBC two £310m. Ch 4 £492m ...
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not ... Refer to page 8 of the ofcom report
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/reviews-investigations/psb-review/psb2013/output_and_spend.pdf

In 2012. BBC one £848m itv £814m.
    Not much difference and when you allow for BBC doing about 58 mins an hour
    and itv say 50 mins an hour ... The minutage makes the BBC cheaper.
    It is worth noting that in 2007 itv spent £987m to BBC £943m

Interesting: I was using figures from Broadcast for BBC1 which claimed it's programme budget in 2012 was £1.1 billion, and ITV's own figures for 2012 which claim spending of £756m.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor perceptions of ITV are a consequence of the dreadful days of Charles Allen being in charge when it ran headlong downmarket into a sort of more expensive replica of Sky One. It is taking a long time to shake this off. Sure the channel is still reliant on Syco Productions and the soaps and has an irritating habit of having the same tedious presenters front their entertainment/quiz shows, but the drama is good and no longer just derivative vehicles for a couple of ‘big’ names from the soaps that was in Allens day and the factual stuff is now generally of notable higher quality. Even the regional news is a bit more sub-regional again.

Channel 5 is easily the worst of the big 5 but Channel 4 always seems to me to be almost as big a waste of space these days too, excepting Channel 4 News. A Channel 5 type reliance on US imports doesn’t help them either. When you think of interesting programmes and the number 4, these days you automatically think BBC4 and not Channel 4!

Well said about ITV, it was an awful channel in the Noughties but is better now. There are things that bug me about the channel though. They still seem to want Celebrity versions of programmes when ITV was 'The People's Channel', they are still over reliant on Corrie and Emmerdale and as you stated the Regional News isn't fully sub-Regional. That said excellent drama like The Widower and a better National News service mean it's much improved.

For me Channel 5 is the worst main channel and generally always has been. Digital TV channels killed the channel before it could find it's way...
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The discussion is rather out of The Ark. The days when one watched a channel are long gone, most of us normal people do not watch a channel, we watch programmes..

For example currently I look for what football match is on, is there a film I want to see, is there a play or series on ITV (which are far superior to the gloom and misery stuff on BBC doom), is there any live boxing on, Is the Tour de France on, any late night poker, are there any classy documentaries (they are very rare). any good US series (usually of course from HBO which is the best TV drama by a very long way). Those are just examples.

Of course there is also boxed sets - I only watched Lost and Game of Thrones on those, but quite a few people watch Netflix). Very good chances also of dance and good dramas, and sometimes good foreign films, which will be on Sky Arts. One has to be very careful about programmes on subjects which on the face of it look similar to BBC1 etc. dross but on BBC4 they will be worth seeing.

Also there are some regular programmes which I look out for, such as the 7 Up series and the usual one about the RA summer show. I used to like Big Brother but when they started having deliberately outlandish types on I stopped watching as it became to much of a bore. I think it was a deliberate killing it off by the channel before they dumped it, perhaps Ch 5 have got better housemates these days.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    So apart from the two big soaps, the reality stuff, X Factor, I'm A Celebrity, Downton Abbey, Broadchurch, Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, Britains Got Talent and Mr Selfridge....what ITV ever done for us ?

You say that as though X Factor, I'm a Celebrity, Britain's Got Talent and Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway are good shows. They're all either rubbish or long past their sell by date.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    You say that as though X Factor, I'm a Celebrity, Britain's Got Talent and Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway are good shows. They're all either rubbish or long past their sell by date.

Seconded! These shows are well past their sell-by dates. ITV just doesn't know when to end something on a high and try something new. Autumn used to be a great time for new stuff in the schedules, now it's just like Groundhog Day.

For me the glory days of ITV are long gone. It's just too cheap, nasty & lazy these days I'm sad to say
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Remember ITV will no longer get priority as far as new and first run drama is concerned. That privilege will now go to ITV Encore of which you have to subscribe to Sky for. Of course you will eventually get to see what shows on ITV Encore but in effect ITV has now been reduced to ITV3 status.

That's is 100% true. ITV will still be showing most new dramas first. The ITV Encore will only have about 10 hours on Drama on its channel according to SamuelW
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    What gets me about ITV is its obsession with forcing its soap operas down your neck at every given moment. It's bad enough having hour after hour of Emmerdale & Coronation Street, but not content with that ITV have decided every other show seemingly has to be filled with current or ex/has-been soap stars. Think Family Fortunes, Mr & Mrs, Catchphrase. Even It'll be Alright... Is just full of ITV soaps

Are these soaps. No they are dramas, and even more on my list that I have not typed.

Broadchurch
    Midsomer Murders
    DCI Banks
    Vera
    Downton Abbey
    The Widower
    Prey
    Undeniable
    Mr Selfridge
    Benidorm
    Endeavour
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »

Personally I agree that x factor and BGT need to be rested but Saturday night takeaway and I'm a celebrity are great. Also I'm a celeb was one of last years most popular shows, so was BGT
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Itv have some huge dramas

Downton Abbey
    Doc Martin
    Mr Selfridge
    Vera
    and many more some mentioned above

ITV's Reality shows / talent shows are some of the UK public's favourite shows.

Im a celeb ( average audience of 13.5 million 2nd most watched show of 2013.)
    Britains got talent (12.9 million 3rd most watched show of 2013.)
    The x Factor

plus they also have some of the biggest names working on there shows

Ant & Dec
    Dermot o'leary
    Simon Cowell
    Holly Willoughby
    Philip Schofield
    Keith Lemon
    Cherly Cole
    Mel B
    Paul o'Grady
    Peter Andre
    Vernon Kay
    Paddy Mcguiness
    Harry Hill
    Jonathan Ross
    the list could go on and on

Precisely why I don't watch much ITV - not a single person in that list that I like.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    After the World Cup ends my ITV button will go back to being lonely and ignored.

I think you mean the 3 button :D
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's is 100% true. ITV will still be showing most new dramas first. The ITV Encore will only have about 10 hours on Drama on its channel according to SamuelW

Your post makes no sense in relation to the quote you posted. You said it was 100% true ITV would not get the dramas as they would air on ITV Encore - then you said that :confused:
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least there is hope for channel 5 in the shape of Viacom, Channel 4 seems heading lower and lower with no sign of hope, Channel 5 has surpassed its ratings several times and it runs the risk of becoming the fifth channel for ratings in the Big Five.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your post makes no sense in relation to the quote you posted. You said it was 100% true ITV would not get the dramas as they would air on ITV Encore - then you said that :confused:

Sorry, I mean its 100% not true. What the poster seemed to be implying is that ITV Encore will be showing every drama before the main channel. That is not the case though.