Options

Remember Alex Parkes in the Academy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone remember Alex winning the BBCs `Academy Contest` the girl who called herself the `Singing Cornish Lesbian`, that aside she certainly had a singing style all of her own, then when the sky appeared to be the limit she packed her rucksack and went trekking in Australia, sadly for her many fans, the music world did not come up to expectations. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UewW-utx63k&list=RDxIG-WlDsFmo&index=3

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Anyone remember Alex winning the BBCs `Academy Contest` the girl who called herself the `Singing Cornish Lesbian`, that aside she certainly had a singing style all of her own, then when the sky appeared to be the limit she packed her rucksack and went trekking in Australia, sadly for her many fans, the music world did not come up to expectations. :(

has she died?
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    You've done this thread twice now.

It was Alex Parks in Fame Academy.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about her?
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Are you going to surprise us by telling us that she's now married with two kids & another one on the way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Is it just to ask if we remember her? I don't think she had any great talent, she was just different to anyone else at the time.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure 'The Singing Cornish Lesbian' was her strapline as such. Just three random facts about her.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    I have her CD in my collection, I'm the one that bought it:D
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Surely she's not been mistaken for a ray of sunshine?
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found her singing style very annoying, especially the weird break mid-word when she sang "Yellow".

Look at the stars, look how they shine fo-OR you :(

Not a fan.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I'm not sure 'The Singing Cornish Lesbian' was her strapline as such.

Maybe some other kind of strap.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's she dong now, bricklaying?
  • Options
    grumpyoldjoegrumpyoldjoe Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I have her CD in my collection, I'm the one that bought it:D
    +1 ;-)
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    Maybe some other kind of strap.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never really liked Alex but I really rated Sinead Quinn from the first series. I've even got her CD somewhere.

I usually hate anything like X Factor or Pop Idol but there was something about Fame Academy which made it really interesting. It's a shame the BBC didn't have more faith in the format.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

Is English your first language?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked her;-)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of her
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was awful,she won because the Beeb was so desperate to portray the show as a serious artist show compared to X-Factor(or whatever it was called then).
    And they equated the god awful droning dirge that she put out as serious.

Just my opinion though;-)
  • Options
    wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I remember her very well. I thought she was a great singer, but she was persuaded to believe she could be a great songwriter too, which she couldn't.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True fact: type in 'Alex Parkes'+'fun' into Google and the internet will explode.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her and think it's a shame her music career didn't work out. She was something different and much more interesting and talented than your average popstar of today (and back then!).

Fame Academy was a good programme, far more mature and watchable than X-Factor, Popstars, or American Idol.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 ;-)

Another 1 here
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I never really liked Alex but I really rated Sinead Quinn from the first series. I've even got her CD somewhere.

I usually hate anything like X Factor or Pop Idol but there was something about Fame Academy which made it really interesting. It's a shame the BBC didn't have more faith in the format.

Alex's "Maybe That's What It Takes" and Sinead's "I Can't Break Down" are both fantastic songs, easily my favourites to come directly from UK TV talent shows...

And yes, Fame Academy was a great format, shame it didn't last... France's similar Star Academy show managed 8 seasons (plus a 1 season re-try a few years later)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex's "Maybe That's What It Takes" and Sinead's "I Can't Break Down" are both fantastic songs, easily my favourites to come directly from UK TV talent shows...

And yes, Fame Academy was a great format, shame it didn't last... France's similar Star Academy show managed 8 seasons (plus a 1 season re-try a few years later)

At least Fame Academy encouraged them to develop their own writing skills rather than just being another karaoke competition. There are loads of FA clips on YouTube.

I used to have a thing for Sinéad back in the day.