EE: the Linda Carter show?

Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
Forum Member
✭✭
I know the rape storyline is a major storyline and it has been acted out brilliantly by jellies and matt but the show is beginning to feel like it revolved around linda. All last week was 95% linda and every other storyline just went pause. I would like o see all the stories not just one develop. Linda's in prett much every episode and was even a big part I. The wedding week episodes and pretty much me me me when she came on making the attention be on her. Does anyone else feel like the show is evoking to much about linda?

Comments

• _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was genuinely only a few months ago that a lot of people on here were saying how underused Linda was as a character, and how much she was being sacrificed for more Shirley screen time. She's being used well now, I wouldn't say she's overused.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think it feels like that because the past few weeks have been opening and closing with Linda Carter. And 95% of the episodes have focused just on Linda. The wedding week was a very prominent week for her too.
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a massive storyline and Linda's first real big one since she joined. Kelpie Bright is a fantastic actress and what I think is great about this storyline is it will affect the entire Carter family when it's revealed. We've still had focus on Max/Emma , the Beales and Ronnie/Charlie.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    It makes a change after weeks of the Phil and Sharon's wedding 'drama'. I'm so glad that they've moved on to a realistic s/l instead of that farce. Besides it's only been a week.
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    It makes a change after weeks of the Phil and Sharon's wedding 'drama'. I'm so glad that they've moved on to a realistic s/l instead of that farce. Besides it's only been a week.
    At least Phil and Sharon didn't hog too much screentime this year like Linda have all year.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »

Agreed. The wedding story was sensationalistc crap,yet we had to put up with the stupid love triangle for weeks resulting in a laughable shooting.

Linda's trauma however is dark and gritty and deserves it's airtime.

Given that it's a huge storyline and only kicked of last week, it's realistic that the majority of the first week would be taken up by Linda and her family. I'd be disapointed if it wasn't.

ETA - I think people also forget that Linda is the leading lady. I know people hate that term and I do too but she is landlady of the Vic and clearly contracted to a larger episode quota to some of the other characters. I say the same for Mick. Oh well, at least she's being utilised well, which is more than can be said for Derek who was shoehorned into everything. ^_^
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I think it feels like that because the past few weeks have been opening and closing with Linda Carter. And 95% of the episodes have focused just on Linda. The wedding week was a very prominent week for her too.

Exactly and linda is a character I do not really find likeable anyway. Just a self centred b***h moaning and having a tantrum if something didn't go her way. The rape gives her a reason too but I still don't care much about her. Don't want to watch her for entire episodes just one her while other characters like te cokers and donna have been underused whereas she is overused appearing in 150ish episodes so far this year.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    It was genuinely only a few months ago that a lot of people on here were saying how underused Linda was as a character, and how much she was being sacrificed for more Shirley screen time. She's being used well now, I wouldn't say she's overused.

Shes never been underused. She's been in more then Shirley all year. Everyone's sacrificed for linda. Shirley isn't in the next few weeks at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is sacrificed for Linda to be honest.

It's obvious that Kellie Bright (and Danny Dyer) have been contracted to appear in more episodes than other characters, this year at least.

I remember 2008 where Ronnie was almost in every episode.

Then there was Derek in 2012 :o but the less said about that one the better. ^_^
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,530
    Forum Member
    She';s just been raped - what do you expect for her to go back to normal and for them to focus on someone else?

If you want little aftermath from storylines and hollow plots, maybe you should watch Hollyoaks
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree actually because some of the other stories are being badly edited to fit in. I wouldn't mind if we were seeing it from different angles but, and this isn't just a criticism of this story it's all of EE's big stories, the duff duff's are all the same. How many more times do we need the episode to end on Linda crying?

Maybe some scenes from Dean's point of view or Mick's.

This is why it seems to be a one woman show at the moment because I was feeling the same as the OP.

I actually don't mind episodes that have less characters in the episode, in fact I think they work better but when you have such a large family in teh focus it forces other characters to be rushed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is sacrificed for Linda to be honest.

It's obvious that Kellie Bright (and Danny Dyer) have been contracted to appear in more episodes than other characters, this year at least.

I remember 2008 where Ronnie was almost in every episode.

Then there was Derek in 2012 :o but the less said about that one the better. ^_^

I think the dominance in 2008 wasn't so much. Ronnie was in 115 episodes whereas Mick and Linda are going to be in well more episodes by the end of the year - nearer 150.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I do agree actually because some of the other stories are being badly edited to fit in. I wouldn't mind if we were seeing it from different angles but, and this isn't just a criticism of this story it's all of EE's big stories, the duff duff's are all the same. How many more times do we need the episode to end on Linda crying?

Maybe some scenes from Dean's point of view or Mick's.

This is why it seems to be a one woman show at the moment because I was feeling the same as the OP.

I actually don't mind episodes that have less characters in the episode, in fact I think they work better but when you have such a large family in teh focus it forces other characters to be rushed.

Completely agree with this.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is the Carter show wheres phil and Sharon? wheres Kat and Alfie? all pushed aside for the bleedin Carters!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the dominance in 2008 wasn't so much. Ronnie was in 115 episodes whereas Mick and Linda are going to be in well more episodes by the end of the year - nearer 150.

True but I expect anyone running the Vic to be in the majority of the episodes tbh.

2007-10 was very much Mitchell centric and I expect it to be the same with the Carters. Ronnie was the leading lady over that period and I do think it will be Linda's over DTC's tenure as EP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    It really is the Carter show wheres phil and Sharon? wheres Kat and Alfie? all pushed aside for the bleedin Carters!
    Phil and Sharon have had loads of airtime over the last few weeks. Characters do need to rest.

True we haven't seen Kat and Alfie for a couple of weeks (which is not very long really) but they'll be back very soon. I know that by reading the spoilers.

All the families have had airtime this year, except for the Masoods. They're the only ones who have been neglected but then that's nothing new. ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one positive about the episodes recently is that 'poor' Shirley is nowhere to be seen. I hope it stays that way.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's really good, and I like the Carters, but this is too upsetting now episode after episode, and i and I dont believe she wouldnt tell her husband. She's a strong woman, if Mick didnt believe her then so be it..
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's good to see EE using their more experienced actresses. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one positive about the episodes recently is that 'poor' Shirley is nowhere to be seen. I hope it stays that way.

Im so pleased the "drama" surrounding Shirleys love life has taken stand still. It was painful to watch. The only story surrounding her that I have any interest in, is her backstory involving Mick and obviously her reaction over Dean's rape.

DTC wasted three months on that nonsence with Phil and Sharon. ^_^
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you prefer OP that she was raped and then didn't appear for weeks on end? This isn't Hollyoaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Im so pleased the "drama" surrounding Shirleys love life has taken stand still. It was painful to watch. The only story surrounding her that I have any interest in, is her backstory involving Mick and obviously her reaction over Dean's rape.

DTC wasted three months on that nonsence with Phil and Sharon. ^_^

Where I disagree is the Mick/Shirley plot. Its a carbon copy of a previous storyline and doesn't match up with the 7 years we have known Shirley. What would have been better for me is if Babe was Shirley's mum and she didn't know. That for me would be a more plausible storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the first thing Mick does when he finds out is burn that track suit Linda wears :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I disagree is the Mick/Shirley plot. Its a carbon copy of a previous storyline and doesn't match up with the 7 years we have known Shirley. What would have been better for me is if Babe was Shirley's mum and she didn't know. That for me would be a more plausible storyline.

Whilst I am looking forward to the backstory and fall out, I do agree with you there. The writers have to have a believable explanation of why it was never mentioned but even then I have a hard time buying into it because there was absolutely no signs that Shirley had another child in seven years of me watching her. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a retcon but it's clear, this arc was never planned until recently which makes it all a bit disjointed and not so easy to swallow for long time viewers like yourself and me. I agree, Aunt Babe being Shirelys mum just flows better and I always thought this was the most likely Carter secret.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week centres on Linda and suddenly it's the "Linda Carter Show"? :confused:

No, that's how soaps work. Different story lines take precedence at different times.