Options

Clegg: Tories Have 'Menu' Of Debate Excuses

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Conservatives have a "menu of excuses" to try to "wriggle out" of the live leaders' debates, Nick Clegg has claimed.

The Liberal Democrat leader said David Cameron did not have the same incentive as other party leaders to sign up to a televised debate because he had the No 10 platform to make his pitch.

And he urged parties not to use the disagreement over the format of the debates to block them ahead of the General Election.

http://news.sky.com/story/1354232/clegg-tories-have-menu-of-debate-excuses

Quite slimly really that Cameron couldn't get enough of them when he wasn't in number 10, now he's doing all he can not to return the favor. Slimeball.

Comments

• Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this thread has received the level of attention it deserves so far.

Nick Clegg claims the conservatives have a "menu of excuses". As far as I'm aware, Cameron has said there might be an issue with including one party with 1 member of parliament but not another. It's a valid point (as many posters on these forums have made exactly the same argument) and it's an issue that effects another party.

So that's one issue that Cameron has raised ... I don't know what restaurants Nick Clegg goes to but I like my "menus" to contain more than one thing.

Nick Clegg goes on to say "I think it is not right to have the Government record put under scrutiny in one of these debates and not have one half of the Government there." ... to paraphrase ... "I don't think it's right for one of the debates to not include me".

So that's one issue that Clegg has raised ... the same amount as Cameron. But in this case, it's an issue that only effects Nick Clegg's party ... which seems to me to be more an issue of self-interest than the point raised by Cameron.
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Quite slimly really that Cameron couldn't get enough of them when he wasn't in number 10, now he's doing all he can not to return the favor. Slimeball.

So the general election is still 7 months away. There is plenty of time for the debates to be organised, and all the main concerned parties have expressed an opinion that the debates should go ahead.

I fail to see how Cameron is being "slimy" (note the correctly spelling, unless you were trying to complement Cameron on some weight loss) or how he can be accused of "doing all he can not to return the favor".

I'm fairly positive that the debates will go ahead in some form or other. If they don't, then feel free to have a bash at Cameron. Otherwise, all you are doing is your usual straw-man schtick ... accuse someone (almost always a Tory) of some action or belief and, regardless of the absence of any facts to back up your claim, repeatedly knock them for it.

Have you ever managed to post a reasonable, balanced, non-partisan comment?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you think of the almost goading brown got from Cameron. that's the problem really the incumbent is the one standing there having to defend the good and bad. Clegg really doesn't have anything to lose. As we saw yesterday if Ed gets a body blow Cameron's on a very short fuse.

I don't like the debates nothing beats the old style of battle buses and meeting as many people as possible. I know Sky Etc love the idea because it can fill many hours of coverage.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Have you ever managed to post a reasonable, balanced, non-partisan comment?

Why haven't you put that question to the overwhelming number of Tory cheerleaders on this forum?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why haven't you put that question to the overwhelming number of Tory cheerleaders on this forum?

I think you just got the most obtuse post of the day award back. :D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that most people aren't that interested in debates this time 'round.

I mean, it'll be fun if Farage is there. But otherwise the Three Stooges of Cameron, Clegg and Miliband does not sound like a quality evening of political chat.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I think that most people aren't that interested in Clegg this time 'round. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I mean, it'll be fun if Farage is there. But otherwise the Three Stooges of Cameron, Clegg and Miliband does not sound like a quality evening of political chat.

I think the one with Farage would be just total car crash not on his part. Clegg coming back for 3rd's and Cameron standing there whilst his EU policy is taken apart.

I suspect that's why Farage does aim more at Cameron than Miliband because at least labour are honest about being within the EU. As we are seeing today Cameron is talking about "one last chance" at change within the EU. there's never actually being a first chance all he's done so far is informal talks in which its been stated the UK signed up to the various treaties and knew the terms and conditions.

I think the other Debates would be "meh" at best. Clegg will just try and convince everyone it would have been worse without the libdems. Cameron will just accuse Miliband of being a crap leader who shafted his brother and cant be trusted. Not sure how Ed would respond just nod his head and be incredibly disingenuous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I confidently predict that there will be no TV debates because Cameron is running scared. He knows he'll get hammered from all sides if they go ahead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I think that most people aren't that interested in Clegg this time 'round. :D

Last time it was Cleggmania I suspect next time its going to be a lot more hostile.
    "it would have been worse without us". Well no not really because without the libdems support most of the tory policies would fail to get a majority something Clegg seems to think people wont remember. I can see the next Election being a complete nightmare for him.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,635
    Forum Member
    No surprise that Cameron will try and slither out of debates
    He avoided debating with Salmond in the referendum which was pretty cowardly from the Prime Minister of the union and the leader of the unionist party
    His jaykit is on a shoogly peg
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The only way the LDs are going to prove their case re holding the Cons back, is for the latter to win the election.

It's at that point that the LDs will be able to point, and say "I told you so".

Still better if UKIP are the new coalition partners and the heat turns on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the general election is still 7 months away. There is plenty of time for the debates to be organised, and all the main concerned parties have expressed an opinion that the debates should go ahead.

Even Brown had agreed to them by now.

Remember all the stick he was getting/got about dragging his feet. The likes of Boulton on Sky news pestering him.

Remember all those Tories going on and on about him bottling it etc etc

Quite pathetic how they today jump to Cameron's defence when they were hounding Brown, who by now had alreaady committed (04/10/2009).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Nick.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Brown had agreed to them by now.

Remember all the stick he was getting/got about dragging his feet. The likes of Boulton on Sky news pestering him.

Remember all those Tories going on and on about him bottling it etc etc

Quite pathetic how they today jump to Cameron's defence when they were hounding Brown, who by now had alreaady committed (04/10/2009).

Maybe Cameron doesn't want to follow the path of a loser?
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,635
    Forum Member

Or more likely he is swerving Nigel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing has stopped him from doing so in the past. How many years now is it since the Tories won a majority? 20+ years?!

This is the guy who blew a 20 point lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Brown had agreed to them by now ...

Fact checking isn't your strong point I see.

Election held 6th May 2010.

Detailed rules for the leaders debates were announced 1st March 2010 (2 months before the election).

Agreement between the three main parties and the three broadcasters on the key principles behind holding live election debates was reached on 21 December 2009 (just over 4 month before the election).
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would they be likes Labours "its not democratic" to have members of partliament that are not elected voting on matters that they were not voted for
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fact checking isn't your strong point I see.

Election held 6th May 2010.

Detailed rules for the leaders debates were announced 1st March 2010 (2 months before the election).

Agreement between the three main parties and the three broadcasters on the key principles behind holding live election debates was reached on 21 December 2009 (just over 4 month before the election).

Brown finally agrees to UK's first televised leaders' debate

Gordon Brown yesterday gave the go-ahead for the first televised leaders’ debate in British political history.

After weeks of pressure, the Prime Minister agreed to go head-to-head with David Cameron and Nick Clegg in three separate encounters, expected to be screened on the BBC, ITV and Sky during the run-up to the General Election.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217964/Brown-finally-agrees-UKs-televised-leaders-debate.html#ixzz3GLwJJhvb

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217964/Brown-finally-agrees-UKs-televised-leaders-debate.html

Funny how Cameron was so quick off the mark back then, calling for them much earlier in the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gordon Brown yesterday gave the go-ahead for the first televised leaders’ debate in British political history.

After weeks of pressure, the Prime Minister agreed to go head-to-head with David Cameron and Nick Clegg in three separate encounters, expected to be screened on the BBC, ITV and Sky during the run-up to the General Election.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217964/Brown-finally-agrees-UKs-televised-leaders-debate.html#ixzz3GLwJJhvb

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217964/Brown-finally-agrees-UKs-televised-leaders-debate.html

Funny how Cameron was so quick off the mark back then.

Gordon Brown is neither Prime, nor a Minister and has spent that last 5 years as a ****ing coward
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon Brown, Ex Prime Minister is a ****ing coward.

In the last 4 years he has managed to appear as an elected minister 6 times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Gordon Brown, Ex Prime Minister is a ****ing coward.

What does that make Cameron then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that make Cameron then?

Cameron has not backed down from a Euro vote. Backdoor Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At that point he had only "agreed in principle" ... which is no more than Cameron has done at this point.
    Funny how Cameron was so quick off the mark back then, calling for them much earlier in the year.

Ah, so you've decided to change tack in your argument now.

At what point did Cameron start calling for TV debates before the 2010 election, and how does that compare to calling for TV debates by Ed Millband prior to the 2015 election?

Sourced facts would be nice, if you would be kind enough to back up your aspersions, thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At that point he had only "agreed in principle" ... which is no more than Cameron has done at this point.

Come on, everyone knows Cameron is dragging his feet, it's ridiculous and silly to try and claim otherwise.

I'm not sure who you're trying to fool, but no one is falling for it.