Is Lady GaGa taking over from Madonna?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
Forum Member
It would seem she is.

At last, there's someone to threaten McDonna's crown - it's only taken 25 years!!!!

Discuss.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    We'll see in a few years, somehow I doubt it. Bad Romance and Telephone are awful.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was taking over from Su Pollard ?:D
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poodle456 wrote: »
    We'll see in a few years, somehow I doubt it. Bad Romance and Telephone are awful.

No they're not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    poodle456 wrote: »

She seems to be doing it now.

No female ** has come close to emulating her - as far as column inches, popularity and hysteria goes.

** No one with any talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Britney Spears in the running the decade before the last decade? and Rihanna last decade?

I think these are all offspring of Madonna, so I think of it like Madonna is the mother - and you can't replace a mother.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do hope so.
    Madonna has become a bit of a sellout in recent years.

IMO Gaga has a much better voice than Madonna and live gaga totally owns her Madonna is terrible singing live but always puts on a great performance.

Mads age is going to be an issue (I think it already is) theres no way she can keep performing like she did even 10 years ago.
  • cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna is at a crossroads i can't see radio 1 supporting her with the next album they are too busy pushing Cheryl Cole and JLS and other X Factor rubbish.

That suggests Madonna's sales may suffer so there might be an opening for one of the children (Lady Gaga).

As for Lady Gaga i saw the show in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago it's good, Madonna is better.

Lady Gaga's problem will be the follow-up albums Madonna's first 4 albums were better than the one before i can't see Lady Gaga making another 3 albums all better than the one before. Lady Gaga was the sound of 2009 the same sound will not be as popular come late 2010 early 2011 when i think a new Gaga album will come out, she has to change her sound and still be inventive. not as easy as it sounds remember Debbie Gibson and Tiffany in the 80's, Britney and Christina in the 90's, Rihanna in the 00's all were the 'new Madonna' none have succeeded.

Long reign Queen Madonna.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you have been around as long as Madonna you will eventually see yourself in other artists.
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    It would seem she is.

At last, there's someone to threaten McDonna's crown - it's only taken 25 years!!!!

Discuss.

I think so, Britney and other's have failed but Lady Gaga seems to be doing very well. I'm worried she is doing too much, she might burnout if she doesn't slow down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps but come back say in 10 years time then ask this question?

Madonna in her prime beats GaGa easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GaGa has a better voice than Madonna.

But I love both.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't people like both Madonna and Lady Gaga? I do!
    Why is there only room for one successful blonde singer? I think it's sexist how women are set against one another.
    No one ever says George Michael has taken Elton John's crown!

I don't think Gaga will be as successful as Madonna just because the music industry is different now and it doesn't build superstars like it used to but creates disposable briefly famous singers.

I think there are some people who dislike Madonna, so they build up Gaga. It's not about liking Gaga, but hating Madonna.
    But I don't really see how you can dislike Madonna and love Gaga. when their music, their costumes, their shows and even their personality is actually very similiar.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really a fan of Madonna, but there is no disputing that she is the Queen of Pop, and i think it's ridiculous to suggest Lady GaGa is taking over. You have to remember GaGa is only one album old, Madonna has a history of almost 25 years in the music industry.

I think so far the nearest anyone has come to taking over Madonna is Britney Spears, however it is still to see whether she manages to do so in the next few years IF she keeps her act together and continues to be on the top of her game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady GaGa's mission seems to want to shock, but how far can she go, she's only been around a couple of years? and she is practically naked half the time now.......how long before that wears off.
    We get it already that she wears wacky clothes or almost no clothes, so where does she go from here, a more tame version? But then would she be GaGa?
    OK Madonna reinvented herself numerous times but I don't think (bar some sexual writhing!) Madonna was ever so controversial.

I suppose Madonna never pushing wackiness too far meant she could reign it in now and then and it wasn't too much of a change.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsara wrote: »
    Lady GaGa's mission seems to want to shock, but how far can she go, she's only been around a couple of years? and she is practically naked half the time now.......how long before that wears off.
    We get it already that she wears wacky clothes or almost no clothes, so where does she go from here, a more tame version? But then would she be GaGa?
    OK Madonna reinvented herself numerous times but I don't think (bar some sexual writhing!) Madonna was ever so controversial.

I suppose Madonna never pushing wackiness too far meant she could reign it in now and then and it wasn't too much of a change.

I think Madonna was more controversial. Madonna did full nudity in her large spiral book 'Sex'. She had the shock stage.

Lady Gaga has a long way to go yet to prove she can keep up the interest through changes of style as you wont succeed by standing still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Britney Spears threaten Madonna's crown?
  • Ryan-BRyan-B Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Britney Spears threaten Madonna's crown?

not even close.

i think people forget how big madonna is.

gaga might be hot at the moment but will she still be able to top the charts in 25 years like madonna? only time will tell.

madonna is probably the most famous woman in the world without doubt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've never liked madonna she is totally overrated and isn't a great singer, but give madonna time she will try and muscle in on ga gas fame, by doing something rediculous like snogging her - really pathetic !!

Madonna is a has been
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't think Madonna should be quaking in her boots just yet, lets face it - She does have 27 years on GaGa.

However, i do believe GaGa is the first female artist in a very long time to achieve such success in such a short amount of time. The only thing that worries me is if she becomes repetative. One of Madonnas strengths is reinvention. On the other hand GaGa does have a better voice than Madonna.

I hope her 2nd album is as good as the Fame Monster (which i think is better than The Fame) :D

I love GaGa!!!!
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiofan wrote: »
    i've never liked madonna she is totally overrated and isn't a great singer, but give madonna time she will try and muscle in on ga gas fame, by doing something rediculous like snogging her - really pathetic !!

Madonna is a has been

Lmao. Has been...right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cloudy wrote: »

Lady Gaga's problem will be the follow-up albums Madonna's first 4 albums were better than the one before i can't see Lady Gaga making another 3 albums all better than the one before. Lady Gaga was the sound of 2009 the same sound will not be as popular come late 2010 early 2011 when i think a new Gaga album will come out, she has to change her sound and still be inventive. not as easy as it sounds remember Debbie Gibson and Tiffany in the 80's, Britney and Christina in the 90's, Rihanna in the 00's all were the 'new Madonna' none have succeeded.

Gotta agree. The difference between Madonna and Ga Ga is that at the same point, if we count the Fame/Fame Monster as two album's, is that Madonna was building her career over time, not overnight.

And I dont mean that Ga Ga has come from literally nowhere, because I know she has'nt, but neither did Madonna.

Holiday and Borderline from the first album had to be released more than once in either the UK or US before they where hits. Once she got her foot in the door, then this paved the way for Like a Virgin, which in turn made way for True Blue. Each album outsold the previous globally. Madonna was one of the few (very few) artists to avoid the curse of the third album-which often bombeb in many cases as people lost insterest.

The danger for Ga Ga is that in the current climate your only as good as your last record and as soon as sales start to fall the industry looks elsewhere.

In 1989, Like a Prayer album did not sell as many as True Blue (still mega sales though) and was a huge critical sucess and nobody said she was finnished. Next came Vogue and the Immaculate Collection which proved anything but.

Its that period above all from the first album to the Immaculate Collection that Ga Ga will need to exceed and its far to early to say.

The other difference in todays industry is that unlike the late 80s, you dont have 'event' releases, which in the case of Madonna, MJ and probably U2, meant hype and extensive media coverage, which you dont really get now.And I am not talking about on line or an X Factor appearance, they would get front page and coverage on the news. That just does'nt happen now.

There where many more global superstars than there are now at mega star level, like Whitney, Prince and George Micheal plus loads of huge groups as well, there are a lot less about these days and the playing field is really different.

Its difficault at this stage to make any comparison.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's difficult to compare because they are from different generations and therefore at differing stages of their respective careers.

I'm not a fan of either but there's surely room for both artists. As a singer I think Madonna is vastly overrated but she is clearly an astute businesswoman. At the moment Lady Gaga seems to be a bit of a gimmick; the novelty value may only have a limited shelf life. Time will tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    as overly pushy self imortant pain in the neck - yes.

Let's hope GooGoo go goes when her time is up, unlike her madgesty:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    It would seem she is.

Discuss.

I think GaGa's come the closest but she has a long way to go! If she's still very successful after the next, say, 4 albums, then I'll think she's a worthy contender for the Vadge crown!

I hope GaGa sticks around though, I love her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I think GaGa's come the closest but she has a long way to go! If she's still very successful after the next, say, 4 albums, then I'll think she's a worthy contender for the Vadge crown!

I hope GaGa sticks around though, I love her.

I should've asked: Is the GaGa taking over from the Vadge!!!!

Most popular response on here is: NO!