Options

Did Bo Selecta kill Craig David's career?

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
...well, did it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...well, did it?

Dont know about that, but i loved his Bo selecta persona more than the real thing, " come ere Kez ya b**stard!" hilarious!! :D
  • Options
    summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think it helped!!!! SHAME.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to respond to a lot of online music surveys, and one of them asked a lot of questions about this show's impact on his career.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I think I read somewhere that Craig David himself has said that Leigh Francis had made it "difficult" for him to be taken seriously in the music business.

I'm still baffled as to how Leigh Francis hasn't been sued in the past!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I read somewhere that Craig David himself has said that Leigh Francis had made it "difficult" for him to be taken seriously in the music business.

I remember in one of the later episodes of Bo, the Leigh Francis Craig David appearing on stage at one of Craig David's concert. The real Craig obviously wanted to be 'in' with the whole joke, but by then I think the damage was well and truly done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to respond to a lot of online music surveys, and one of them asked a lot of questions about this show's impact on his career.

One minute he was hotter than...I dunno, something really hot! I always found him cheesey but pretty much ALL the girls I worked with at the time (I mean the height of his career), though he was god's gift, and he was doing really well in the charts...and then next minute no one wanted to know! I just wondered how this happened...especially as I have been watching re-runs of Bo Selecta on 4Music!
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Undoubtedly Leigh killed his career and he has every right to be upset :(
    He didn’t want to look like he was bothered so he stayed the same, not really knowing where or how to go as he now felt he was no longer an artist but a caricature. “I thought, ‘We’ll ride it. But now you are putting me in a position where I don’t know where else to go.’ Inside it was absolutely pissing me off and hurtful beyond belief. There were times when I thought I just want to knock this guy out. And then I met him and did his show.” He had been advised that that would look cool. He knew that it wasn’t right.

“After the show I said, ‘You’re an idiot.’ No one really heard me because it was just me and him in the hallway. ‘All the laughs are on me so don’t stand there telling me I’m sorry and continuing to do your thing.’ He was all sheepish. I did the show to look PC. I didn’t want people to think, ‘Craig’s reacting to it,’ because then they would think, ‘How can we get up Craig’s nose even more?’ So I did it, but I wasn’t happy about it.”

It’s as if he’s been bottling it in, guarding it, and now that he’s admitted his hurt he just can’t stop talking about it. Leigh Francis said at the time, “I didn’t like it that Craig David got pissed off and I didn’t want him thinking that ****** ruined my career. A lot of people think that I ruined him, but I don’t write his songs. He does.”
    Full article
  • Options
    Numnum71Numnum71 Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say so, because Mel B seems to be on the up.
    I think it's because his songs haven't bettered 7 days.
    His songs are really quite bland and have been done better by newer stars.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Maybe Craig David should have released "Soda Pop" :D

"I used a pen!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Undoubtedly Leigh killed his career and he has every right to be upset :(

Full article

Damn...I feel really for him after reading that!

And even after getting beefed up, an image change, a long break, etc, his comebacks are still failing. His voice is actually brilliant though, he did a live set on Channel 4 recently and sounded great.

But I don't think he will ever shake of the Bo Selecta curse...
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His whole act felt like a tired and worn parody anyway. Someone taking him and extrapolating the ridiculous didn't kill his career. His material did. If his material and marketing was that good, he would've got past a TV show that sent up far more people than him.

Its an easy thing for him to blame for his own failings, as an ego and as an artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leigh Francis did us all a huge favour.
    Proper Bo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so why did all the new stuff after the debut album fail in the US too?
  • Options
    BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gn1 wrote: »
    so why did all the new stuff after the debut album fail in the US too?

Because he's s**t.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig David should have had a sense of humour and better songs and he would have lasted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big problem he had was a lack of decent follow-up material and no real personality for people to latch onto in the first place.

When he first came out he was flavour of the month for a lot of the media, which he relied on to promote himself as cool, but in reality he was deathly dull in interviews.

The Bo Selecta thing became the most interesting thing about him. Without it, he might have been taken more seriously for longer, but I think people would have got bored with him sooner. These days he's mainly famous for his Bo Selecta character.

As others have pointed out, Mel B doesn't have the same problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bo Selecta thing was funny at first but, talk about drag a joke on too long! The guy doesn't appear to know when a joke has run it's course and just continues floging a dead horse for at least 2 years after it's sell by date has passed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest his music is very throw away stuff, apart from 7 Days.
    The insertion of his name in several hits was a bit lame:(
    Though I do have respect for him standing up for his guitarist when told he would do better in the US if he had a all black support group and he refused to drop him.

Just look at some x-factor episode for how quickly people will drop friends in the pursuit of fame.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What career?

Craig David is the epitome of bland mediocre
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewing wrote: »
    What career?

Craig David is the epitome of bland mediocre

totally..

Bo Selecta did much worse to other stars.CD's problem was he let everyone know how upset he was about it...:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread wouldn't exist without Bo Selecta.

Well, that's obvious...I mean a thread about Craig David in March 2010 wouldn't exist!
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I always liked his songs they were mellow and something you'd have on in the background, no real strong singles but just easy listening.

I think now it's all about having huge singles and videos and scandal
  • Options
    Charles ICharles I Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol Craig David had a career?

Just another bland manufactured experiment aimed at teenage girls, pretty much like JLS is today, if JLS is around in another 5-6 years, I'll eat my own hand.

None of these acts have staying power at all because they cannot write their own music or produce their own albums, they are pretty much just being pimped by record companies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Charles I wrote: »
    lol Craig David had a career?

Just another bland manufactured experiment aimed at teenage girls, pretty much like JLS is today, if JLS is around in another 5-6 years, I'll eat my own hand.

None of these acts have staying power at all because they cannot write their own music or produce their own albums, they are pretty much just being pimped by record companies.

Yeah I wonder just how many people are buying their 'Just Love Safe' condoms?!? :D:eek::confused:

Back to Mr David though, I (up until the last 5 mins) was always under the impression that he had made it big in the states - oh how I was fooled! :o