Options

Xbox One Price Cut to £399

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    £30 RRP drop after only 3 months, that must be some sort of record. It certainly makes the price a little more reasonable.

No, the original Xbox was cut by £100 after just a month.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the original Xbox was cut by £100 after just a month.

Must be a MS thing to do then... I think they should atleast give existing owners £30 store credit or something to make up for it, I would be annoyed if Sony did this with the PS4 after only 3 month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be a MS thing to do then... I think they should atleast give existing owners £30 store credit or something to make up for it, I would be annoyed if Sony did this with the PS4 after only 3 month.

They've certainly got previous.

With the original Xbox you got games and a controller if I remember rightly. This time, early buyers are getting nothing.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really annoyed, but then again I paid around £370 for mine at launch :D

I went onto Neogaf there to expect to see tons of people laughing at MS but instead it's seems most people think it's a good move and the US should follow suit.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've certainly got previous.

With the original Xbox you got games and a controller if I remember rightly. This time, early buyers are getting nothing.

Difference is that was a price drop of over £100 about a month after the console came out.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why though? those are the risks you take by adopting a new console early, besides that you have also been able to get the PS4 £20.00 cheaper than when it first came out (okay it's not an official discount, but still £20 is £20).
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since when has M$ ever cared about their customer base? As long as they get your money they don't care. It really is a disgusting company that screws its customers on a daily basis. It's amazing they get away with it. Sony has been putting them to shame ever since PS+ came into existence and followed that through with a reasonably priced, high spec console without trying to take away our gaming liberties.

I'm ALMOST tempted to go out and buy a PS4 now to give M$ the middle finger. If i ever do pick up an X1 it will be well under £300, ensuring they make a loss and then following that up with buying second hand only.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox UK's Harvey Eagle has made it clear in an interview with Edge that they won't be offering anything as recompense.

So whether or not people are bothered, MS just scammed a load of people of £30, Wow, £30 could get you a next gen game, Glad i'm waiting till it drops below £299 before getting an X1 myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    So whether or not people are bothered, MS just scammed a load of people of £30, Wow, £30 could get you a next gen game, Glad i'm waiting till it drops below £299 before getting an X1 myself

£30 + a free copy of one of their biggest releases. A saving of £70-80.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Jon79 wrote: »
    Since when has M$ ever cared about their customer base? As long as they get your money they don't care. It really is a disgusting company that screws its customers on a daily basis. It's amazing they get away with it. Sony has been putting them to shame ever since PS+ came into existence and followed that through with a reasonably priced, high spec console without trying to take away our gaming liberties.

I'm ALMOST tempted to go out and buy a PS4 now to give M$ the middle finger. If i ever do pick up an X1 it will be well under £300, ensuring they make a loss and then following that up with buying second hand only.

Tbh anyone that uses 'M$' as an abbreviation probably wasn't going to get a X1 console anyway.

Go get a ps4 that'll show em.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

It's nice to see you so concerned for launch day adopters of Xbox One but we paid for what we got. Price drops are inevetable and besides most of us receieved a free game too, Forza 5 Day One SKU saved me well over £30.

As for the new RRP I think it's a great price point, with a free copy of Titanfall it brings the console and Kinect down to around £350 which is great value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Tbh anyone that uses 'M$' as an abbreviation probably wasn't going to get a X1 console anyway.

Go get a ps4 that'll show em.

Ha. I only did that because of the topic of discussion. I bought the original Xbox and i owned 2 Xbox 360s (for obvious reasons) so i will own the X1 at some point, on my terms. As a company they have screwed me way too many times for me to show any loyalty.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Not bad.

Will end up getting a Xbox One after jumping ship from the 360 to the PS4, but when Halo comes out id imagine, but nice to see it under £400.

:D
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I'm still expecting a big announcement at E3. Once The Titanfall craze dies down.

Either £369.99 console only (no free game)

Or around £329.99 kinectless.

People sat on the fence and not bothered about Titanfall may be better off waiting until the event passes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox UK's Harvey Eagle has made it clear in an interview with Edge that they won't be offering anything as recompense.
    Really surprised at this.

I wouldn't expect much - I think a free game or whatever is too much to ask, but more something that is high profit margin for them, extend your LIVE subscription or credit for digital purchases etc.

But then again this is the same fool that is trying to convince us this isn't in response to poor sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was an Xbox One owner I would be asking myself this...

"Have I had £XX worth of fun since I bought it?"

As long as the answer is yes, then who gives a damn.

(Probably an easier question to answer for those that bought Day One editions. People experiencing an £80 perceived-value drop might find it harder to swallow)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha. I only did that because of the topic of discussion. I bought the original Xbox and i owned 2 Xbox 360s (for obvious reasons) so i will own the X1 at some point, on my terms. As a company they have screwed me way too many times for me to show any loyalty.

So who's terms do you own the other consoles on then. So what loyalty have you shown and how have they screwed you to many times? You really think Sony as a company or anybody else for that matter that are a large business think anymore of you, other than getting money out of you.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not fussed about the price drop. Don't think I've been done over in any way. It's just like buying DLC for a game only for it to be included in a GOTY for a lower price than the original game. You pay to have it now, expecting a drop in price later.
    I'd be a little annoyed if it came with Titanfall branding like the controller.... Geek, I know.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Really surprised at this.

I wouldn't expect much - I think a free game or whatever is too much to ask, but more something that is high profit margin for them, extend your LIVE subscription or credit for digital purchases etc.

But then again this is the same fool that is trying to convince us this isn't in response to poor sales.

Some people are going to be peeved I think, particularly those that paid £429 for a solus system. A small "thank you" gift wouldn't have gone amiss. Or would that be seen as an admission of getting the pricing wrong?

Regarding Mr Eagle, some tough questions and evasive answers here.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/24/xbox-one-price-cut-to-399-99-with-free-copy-of-titanfall-4316270/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are going to be peeved I think, particularly those that paid £429 for a solus system. A small "thank you" gift wouldn't have gone amiss. Or would that be seen as an admission of getting the pricing wrong?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/24/xbox-one-price-cut-to-399-99-with-free-copy-of-titanfall-4316270/
    I don't think it would admit that.

It just needs to be a small token gesture of goodwill. After all this isn't about selling more boxes, it is about offering gamers the "best value"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    So who's terms do you own the other consoles on then. So what loyalty have you shown and how have they screwed you to many times? You really think Sony as a company or anybody else for that matter that are a large business think anymore of you, other than getting money out of you.

Xbox live - Not only charging me to play my games on-line but also forcing me to cough up to use services i already pay for (Netflix) Granted PS4 has now adopted that but i think PS+ negates the cost. Great effort from Microsoft though to try and match the PS+ service for the past few years......

Poor quality control - I don't appreciate having to buy your console twice. Close to 100% fail rate is mighty impressive. They clearly didn't give their future customers a second thought when they put the 360 together.

Trying to take away my gaming liberties - The fact that they wanted to stop me selling my games on or buying second hand is pathetic. Trying to force me to connect my console 24/7 so they can monitor what i do. Taking it one step further and attaching a spying device is just darn right creepy but shows you how far they are willing to go.

This recent price-cut would've been the latest. If i had already bought an X1 then it would've been a painful experience having to buy Titanfall. Even the sheer arrogance of asking me for £429 for a console that is clearly less powerful than a console priced at £349.

Other companies i use don't do this to me, otherwise they don't get my business. However, the gaming industry is a little different in that it's the games that are important so unfortunately i have to accept Microsoft for their shortfalls but if i can limit the amount of money they get from me then i will do it.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't annoy me, it's in the Xbox One best interests to be price cut asap, MS haven't screwed anybody, this is in response to poor sales (compared to PS4.anyway, main rival) it's going to help with sales, why would that upset the early adopters? If your console of choice is selling more units as a result of a price cut, regardless of timing, ITS GOOD NEWS! Surely??? Lol

Be happy gamers :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What utter garbage in that interview, you don't cut the price of any product ever if you are selling at the rate you want to, why on earth would you cut away profits for no good reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox live - Not only charging me to play my games on-line but also forcing me to cough up to use services i already pay for (Netflix) Granted PS4 has now adopted that but i think PS+ negates the cost. Great effort from Microsoft though to try and match the PS+ service for the past few years......

Don't bother with it, so no idea...but PS charge as well now.

Poor quality control - I don't appreciate having to buy your console twice. Close to 100% fail rate is mighty impressive. They clearly didn't give their future customers a second thought when they put the 360 together.

Never had a problem with mine.

Trying to takeaway my gaming liberties - The fact that they wanted to stop me selling my games on or buying second hand is pathetic. Trying to force me to connect my console 24/7 so they can monitor what i do. Taking it one step further and attaching a spying device is just darn right creepy but shows you how far they are willing to go.

Didn't do that did they?

This recent price-cut would've been the latest. If i had already bought an X1 then it would've been a painful experience having to buy Titanfall. Even the sheer arrogance of asking me for £429 for a console that is clearly less powerful than a console priced at £349.

More fool people who actually brought these consoles (either) when very little decent games are out (which Xbox does score better on then PS4)

Other companies i use don't do this to me, otherwise they don't get my business. However, the gaming industry is a little different in that it's the games that are important so unfortunately i have to accept Microsoft for their shortfalls but if i can limit the amount of money they get from me then i will do it.

Exactly so why buy a new console at the moment anyway. Wait a year more quality games out and probably lower prices for the console.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I don't really get why people seem to think that MS owe us early adopters anything, least of all something as hilarious as £30 of credit. I can understand them compensating people who bought OG Xbox's when they dropped the price by £100 after a mere month, but this is £30 and over three months later. I can remember a friend of mine paying something daft like £150-£200 for the complete Lost boxset when it came out, then about 2 months later i picked it up for £80, he didn't go demanding compensation from the distributors just because they'd dropped the price. Price drops are just something that you have to accept, especially if you're an early adopter.

I think it's quite telling that the people in this thread that actually have Xbox One's don't really seem bothered by the price drop. Infact most of us seem to think it's a good thing for the console as a whole. This was a much needed smart move by MS after the relative trouncing they've been enduring in the UK. The UK was Xbox land during the last generation, hopefully MS dropping the price and including their most anticipated game as a freebie will help them claw back some market share. If this gets the Xbox One into more homes, then that's good for existing Xbox One owners.

However, if the internet complaining that we deserve some compensation might result in us getting some free shit, then complain away guys! :p