BT Phone Line Installation for Caravan?

Comments

• kosmos5457kosmos5457 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been sent a bill for my broadband now which is about £68 for the quarter but they've reduced it to £48 for some reason. To be honest, I'm not sure what the exact amount it as I'm more concerned about them actually installing my line as soon as possible.

I'm on a £32 a month payment plan with one of the numbers I've been given. I don't understand this but I'd be grateful if someone has an idea why it is £32. I ordered BT Option 1 Line Rental, shouldn't it be £11 a month?

The latest number I've been given, it seems there is no payment plan for it and they are wanting my direct debit details which I don't understand. Things seem a little muddled up at the moment where the billing to my account is concerned.

I have a seperate bill for the broadband. I'm not even sure that it is possible to have line rental and broadband all in one bill. I assumed this when I got the bill for £32 that the line rental that broadband was maybe included in this. It appears not. Maybe it could be for the standard installation fee?

The latest number I've been given has gone in the online phone book and when I've dialled the number it just rings. Would this be a sign that something positive is happening somehwhere? At the local exchange maybe?

The two numbers I'd been given previously did not work, I just thought I'd mention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned in an earlier post about a provisional installation date being set for the 23rd. This now looks like it may not happen as I've had a phone call from BT yesterday telling me that the contractors for the trench work will visit on the 28th. Again this is a provisional appointment. I was told that it could happen before then but most likely on that date. It wouldn't surprise me too much if it was later than this.

I got the call from the customer service department that deals with activation and installation of phone services.

I will however try phoning the high level complaints department tomorrow to get more information from them. I keep getting different stories from various departments. Seeing as they told me themselves that they are hoping to get a line installed for the 23rd April, I'm wanting to know why that it's the 28th that only the trench will be dug. They might be able to get the job done a bit sooner. I don't know but we'll see.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey - what a saga! You'd think that BT would know how to install telephone lines - maybe they just aren't used to new provision requests nowadays (the number of landlines in the UK is falling as people move to mobile as their only telephone connection).

Hope they sort it for you soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've now been told that it is the 30th April that the trench will be dug. I'm wondering whether cable and duct will be sorted out on the same day because I don't think that the trench could really be left open until the installation is completed.

Anyway, I was told about this date by Customer Services Department that deals with activation of lines specifically and the person in the Chairman's Office.

The guy in Customer Services told me that he has got an appointment sorted for a morning installation on 1st May.

However, the person in Chairman's Office said that it would be an update on the 1st May.

I phoned the guy in Customer Services and he still says that there is a morning appointment for 1st May. That would be most ideal for me seeing as the trench and other parts of the work is being done the day before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    thats called moleploughing and it should be about 6inchs.

That's what she said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoken to a woman at BT this morning and she said the contractors should be doing the job (trench) before or on the 30th. I asked her to speak to Openreach and she said that I might see contractors today, might not but that work will be completed by the 30th. As I was told about this work going ahead more than a 2wks ago, I'd have thought that work might have already been done by contractors by now. It is slightly worrying that nothing has been done yet because on the 1st may, I have the appointment for an engineer to come and install the phone line in the caravan. He won't be doing that unless the contractors get the work done. When I spoke to the woman, she suggested that it is a big job that could be spread over monday, tuesday and wednesday, which is not what the other guy from the same department had said. He said it's an easy enough job for them as the notes say it is a trench in soft grass surface. The guy said they don't like leaving the trench open and bt person putting cable down should be done on same day. The woman in the chairman's office is away and she said she would contact me on 1st may. I know that it isn't long to wait till thursday but I've been waiting 14wks and that is a while. I'm not sure what it's like when contractors get involved with work either. Also the woman in chairman's office said she has no record of their being an appointment for me on thursday which is a bit odd, so maybe this other department gets the information before she does.

I posted this on another forum yesterday. I have another post on there about this situation that has changed everything since yesterday.
    So I will post again shortly. I'm posting from a phone by the way if anyone was thinking of making a comment about me double posting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After speaking to BT yesterday, they said work would be done by the 30th April. I phoned this morning just to say that nothing had been done yesterday by contractors. The guy that deals with my calls said that he could not see how work will be able to go ahead on 1st may so line would be installed. Then the guy speaks to openreach, then guy phones me back to say work won't be done on 30th due to an unknown reason but he's told that it would be done 23rd may at the earliest! I spoken with a woman in the chairmans office, she told me that work wouldn't Be done till 23rd may also but reason was due to amount of cabling work that needs doing. As I understand it, thats 10m cabling duct in trench, digging up softgrass and 5m cable to caravan. Described as not being a big job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being far from happy with the way I've been treated by BT, I decided to phone the Openreach newSites office in Swansea as they would have record of the order. I got the contact number of the local planner who I then contacted, though he wasn't able to help too much. He wasn't happy about me phoning him directly because he asked how I got his number and who gave it out to me. He was able to tell me that the contractors are Enterprise and told me the name of a woman that works for BT but works with Enterprise and can get work moved forward. The planner said I should contact BT Retail using the standar number but there was no way that I was going to call them as I'd probably be more frustrated with them than I already am. I spoken to the woman in chairman's office last week and she said she would contact me on the 6th may with an update. This didn't happen. I phoned them up today and she's not in today either. I spoken to someone else who says it is the 23rd May that work is being done. The woman I spoken with last week had said she would try to get the work brought forward so it could all be done sooner. This hasn't happened either. Someone on another forum said I should have ordered a business line as it would get done sooner and you can claim compensation from BT if they take too long to provide the customer with a line. I've tried everything now and not got any closer to getting the work done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well only about 30mins after the last post, a civil engineer showed up here. He told me he would be out on (8th may) next day and the work is now done with the trench. Just got to wait for an openreach engineer to thread cable through the duct. Been told it should be completed quickly now. Anyway, its fantastic that this job has been done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The civil engineer that came yesterday had to come back today to add some cement into the bt distribution point where the hole for the duct was a little too big but he told me that last night his company received an email telling him to come back here to cable it up also. Anyway, having been in contact with the Chairman's Office, I now have an appointment booked for tuesday morning between 8am-1pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT engineer did not come to install the phone line today as expected, despite receiving a voicemail message on my mobile yesterday afternoon telling me that they would come to install the phone line between 8am and 1pm.

Nobody phoned me today to tell me that the appointment had been cancelled. I phoned the Chairman's Office at 12:50 because I knew at this time, the chance of an engineer coming is almost none whatsoever.

Within 15 minutes of this, I got a call back from the Chairman's Office to say that there was an appointment on the system for today but it had been cancelled this morning and it due to some planning issue though what the issue is exactly, I don't know as they couldn't give me that information.

I did ask for the person I spoken to, to contact the local planner that I now have the phone number for. As I was on the way home when the person in the Chairman's Office would have tried to call me, I had to wait till I was at home to check my phone. I received at text explaining another appointment has now been made for the 28th May between 8am and 1pm but nothing was mentioned about the issues regarding planning.

I must add that I've also spoken to someone in the newSites Openreach office in Swansea and they told me I have an appointment for the 28th and it suggested that it would be an afternoon appointment.

Not sure what will happen next or when anything will happen, even though I have now been told the 28th May. It seems worse than the situation was a few weeks ago but the trench work and cabling from the distribution point to the outside of the caravan is now done, apart from it being connected up.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really matters not if its a caravan or a bricks and mortar building , the delay in getting the phone installed is quite pathetic on their part

Even more so when the trench is dug and the cable laid and you only require that last part to be connected

Do BT have a mention of the time scale in their code of practice

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Regulatoryinformation/Codeofpractice/Consumercodeofpractice/ConsumerCodeofPractice.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoken to Chairman's Office yesterday. I had to phone them even though I was told that I'd be phoned on Thursday with an update. It seems that it is now not a planning issue, its because something has happened where a cease request has been placed for the 29th May. I asked about the appointment for the 28th and was told that would now not go ahead. The woman I spoken to said that she wants to get the order rebuilt on the old system so that installation can go ahead but I think there is more to it. She did say she had emailed openreach with a 2hr reply turnaround expected meaning she should have contacted me before she left work yesterday or this morning as she did say she would be working. I am wondering why a cancellation request would happen if more than half the job has been done. How could there be any issues with planning now the trench has been done? Surely it doesn't take a planner 4 months to carry out a survey and decide on a solution to supply me with a landline. Again, I'm not any closer to really knowing what is happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an appointment booked last thursday for today and the engineer did come to do the installation. The line is now in the caravan and socket is on the wall but the cable is still not connected at the distribution point. I did ask why he couldn't connect but didn't explain in any detail, the exact reasons. Once the engineer had left I phoned the Chairman's Office to see if they could get more information and it seems to be that the cabling going to the distribution point is not up to standard and needs to be changed. I was told that if the engineer had connected the line up, it would have developed a fault within a week. All the engineer would say is that the work that needs doing is going back to planners at the newSites office. The fact its with planners doesn't sound too good but engineer said its not a big job that needs doing now and that the line might be up and running by monday. Anyway, it's an improvement with what happened today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what number will get me to the Chairman's Office on a Saturday morning. The 0800 number I have for them is closed. I'm aware that the person dealing with my order is there this morning as she told me she would be working from 8am. I'm assuming that the Chairman's Office is London based so there must be an alternative number I could try. I phoned BT Retail's standard number this morning but that is just a big waste of time and money as it's 20p a minute from my o2 mobile. I phoned through to BT Vision department as I knew the call centre staff for that department are UK based. I told him outright that I phoned his department as I knew they are english call centre staff and that I wanted to be transferred to the Chairman's Office then after a few minutes the call cut off. I phoned another number that is related to broadband and it was in a letter about the delay in providing me with a line. This time it was an indian that I had to speak to, mentioned it straight away that the Chairman's Office is dealing with my order so I asked her to transfer me, she said she couldn't so I asked why and of course I didn't get an answer to a very reasonable question. Anyway, she started asking me for my account details and phone number and I had to say not once, not twice, but three times that Chairman's Office are dealing with my order and nobody else is meant to look into the account. She quite clearly did not understand this, leaving me with no choice but to hang up. Surprisingly, that is the very first time I've done that but I felt it was necessary.

So my question is; does anyone have a number that will get me through to the Chairman's Office? Needs to be today really because the person dealing with this order is not working on Tuesday's so Wednesday next week would be the absolute earliest that I'd be able to find out more. I dare say that if BT have opportunity to delay the work on this line for whatever reason, they will do so.

Feeling like I've written a book this morning on my o2 xda orbit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well nothing happened on saturday. The Chairman's Office had said they were hoping that the work could be done on Saturday. I was told that the engineer that came out still had hold of the job.

Anyway, it wasn't until yesterday that I was able to contact the woman dealing with my complaint. I was told that the work was back with planners. She said it's not newSites that are dealing with the order and that I could expect an update on 11th June! Later on yesterday morning, I had another call from Chairman's Office and was told that the works with contractors (Enterprise) and that they would be working Wednesday and Thursday (today). I was told the situation would be reviewed on Friday but I had a call today and was told that there is a blockage. I'm assuming that would be with underground cabling somewhere. I didn't totally understand what I was being told. The solution I was told about last week was a called a pair divert. I'm not sure what this is but yesterday I was told that solution might not be suitable.

I'm aware of an enterprise van being outside a green cabinet nearby yesterday afternoon so I'm assuming that they were doing something!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No call this morning so I phoned them! Well I had a letter from the customer provisions manager in cardiff. The letter had been signed by a person rather than be computer generated.

They told me that work had been delayed as their proposed solution of diverting a pair from a pole to the underground distribution point was not going to work. Was told there was capacity at a particular pole then it was found there was none. So this team in cardiff told me that they were waiting on an update due for today.

I informed the chairman's office about the letter and that I had contacted the provisions team.

They had no update this morning but I got a call back from another person in the chairman's office, who I spoken to for about half an hour and she said she looked into the order on behalf of the person that usually deals with the work that has yet to be completed despite several due estimated completion dates!

Anyway her update was that on the 9th june, there will be an update as in enterprise should have a date set for the job.

I was told the issue is with the distribution point. It seems that it needs to be replaced. This is NOT what I was told last week. I explained how confused I am with this situation as I keep being given different feedback.

Anyway, I asked the provisions team whetger they had this update and any knowledge of what i had just been told. I didn't get to speak to the provisions manager but their due completion date for cabling work seems to be set for the 16th june.

A very odd situation that this seems to be and I still don't know what exactly is going on with this order. Must be at excuse 705 now. Someone on a forum, might have been this one, said you could have a bestseller book with the excuses that they come out with!

Another thing that made me laugh was someone said that only 2% of BT call centre calls are based outside of the UK. This must mean that all calls outside of the UK are answered, yet a very small number (maybe 2%) of them are answered in the UK.

That's the latest at the moment. I will write again when I get another update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had an update this morning from the Customer Provisions Manager in Cardiff. She told me that enterprise now have the maps and planner has said my job is in queue to be done. Planner reckons it could be done by the 16th June but the customer provisions manager did not want to say that it would be done for sure on this date. Personally, I doubt it would be done then but can only wait and see what happens.

Meant to be due an update on 9th June from chairman's office, so will wait and see about that too.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Have followed the saga with interest. Now waiting to see if the line can get fitted before the 6 month anniversary of the thread.

I have to say Kosmos appears to have the patience of a saint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really feel for him too, can't believe he's been passed from pillar to post then back to the queue for the pillar again. he definately fits into our new "right first time" campaign.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I have never understood why people get BTO to do the UG cable when there are independent engineers etc capable of doing what needed to the nearest DP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was told on Monday last week I would have an update on 9th June.

This did not happen. Last week the woman I spoken to had pretty much promised me that I'd have an update.

It seems that enterprise are claiming that they've not received anything from BT for the job.

So it would appear that there is a conflict of information here as CPM are saying the job is to be completed for 16th June, though they made no guarantees as those words came from the planner. When has the planner ever been right up till now?

Chairman's Office contacted CPM for me and just said they need to check the information they have with me again! Callback due on 12th June.

Chairman's Office tell me I will get a callback on Wednesday. No closer to knowing anything more yet again.

I've been having problems with my phone disconnecting from the o2 network quite frequently. I'm wondering if it is worth me getting an iphone for internet use while I wait for BT to do something! I'd want to unlock it as I am already in contract with o2, which I only recently renewed and decreased mins and texts to a minimum believing BT would have had this job done before now. Talking about feeling messed about!

Interested in what Steve said about other people being able to lay underground cable. How could I get someone else to do the job now? Parts of it has been done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was going to post yesterday but thought i'd leave it till today when I would be expecting an update.

I got a call first thing from the woman in the chairman's office when she started work at 10am.

I phoned CPM yesterday, they were telling me they had estimated work to be completed by the 20th June.

It seemed there were two orders in the system as two phone numbers had been given to me. I can say that one I've been told is mine by the Chairman's Office is no longer in Phone Book and the number i've been given by CPM is not one i've heard of before though they seemed aware of everything that was going on whereas the chairman's office seem to know nothing! I'm very angry about this.

This morning they had spoken to each other it seems. Heard from Chairman's Office first, followed by CPM.

Chairman's office said a survey is being done today, I said I doubt that they would be seen up here. She made some excuse for them saying that just because a survey is being done, that it doesn't mean I will see them.

She did say a planner has the job. I said I've been told this weeks ago then CPM had told me contractors have the maps and job is in queue to be completed.

I went on to say that the planners seem to be incapable of planning anything and no doubt they are paid good money to do their work. I think a planner should be getting it right first time.

I'm thinking, what does a planner actually do?

So I might hear from the woman in Chairman's Office tomorrow if there is any new information (or should i say any old information that is being repeated yet again as being new?).

The CPM had been in contact shortly after the Chairman's Office. I spoken to a guy there and he told me there is a serious problem with your order and that the high level complaints team that are dealing with it. He explained the ussue with me not needing to ask about the details of the problem.

I was told there is a problem with the cabling, the routing of it and the posts that the cable is coming down from. I'm thinking, why couldn't the chairman's office have said anything about this? They are meant be in control of the situation.

So I mentioned the completion date to the guy from CPM. He said that due to the change in situation, this could be ignored and that I need to speak to the woman in the chairman's office.

This would be a lot better if I was being given more information.

Last week I was told be another member of staff in the Chairman's Office that was dealing with an order for someone that was in a flat. He had to wait 11 months. To sum up the conversation, it was about how people in caravan's, flats and farmhouses are less priority than people in a house.

I mentioned this to chairman's office today and was told that it is more work than providing to a flat. I said, so it could be longer i'm waiting for in that case? She didn't want to answer that but it sounds that i'm not to far from the truth in asking that.

As far as I'm concerned, they are BT and they can do whatever they want!

I'm planning to write to the local paper about this soon as another local did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest i've been told is that the work to be done is new poles are required, not sure if its to replace an existing one or not though, but sounds like its more than 1 pole anyway. They said there is 300m aerial cable to be replaced or again, new cable added to the poles, not sure exactly.

On thursday, thy said the 20th june for it to be completed by, friday they called back and say poles to be done by 27th june and cabling by the 4th july.

Not sure if this will remain like this or what. I'd like to think that on or around the 4th july that work will be done and should be able to order broadband on the 7th july. Again, its a case of wait and see I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sunday, at 8am, I received a BT SMS on the landline at home. Thought it was a bit odd because they have been told to contact me on the mobile. I knew that when I first placed the order that I gave the home telephone number as the number to call me on but after not very long, I got this changed so they would call the mobile instead but the people that I'd normally speak to in BT Retail would not understand that so I asume that this text was sent by them.

I contacted the Chairman's office to tell them about the text that said there was an appointment for the 24th between 8am and 1pm.

This was checked out and it appears they have no record of any appointment, nothing new from openreach or enterprise.

I got told that the completion dates for the ground poles to be sorted remains the same for by the 27th so i will be contacted saturday morning unless she hears of anything or if it happens sooner. Was told the the second part of the job cannot be started on until the 1st july at least but is still due to be done by the 4th. I made it clear that I want it done by the 11th july latest but if things get moved between now and the 4th, I'd very much doubt things could be sorted by the 11th. So it's best all round that I don't contact them until then at least as usually any news they give me when I contact them, often isn't good.