Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I've just read back what I posted and it came out all wrong, as usual. I know what I mean but I doubt many others will. How I wish I could be more eloquent. :(
  • Options
    Wolfie SmithWolfie Smith Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Good morning Wolfie. Do you feel better after all that? :D:D

I'd never heard Petrie until yesterday morning and I quite enjoyed listening to her, she was moaning about public transport and appeared to know what she was talking about. Of course, not being a Londoner, I'd have no idea whatsoever, but she let her callers speak.

I'm still loving Duncan Barkes, how I wish he was a permanent fixture, he seems so laid back and gentlemanly. *sighs*

And I knew she would tell the story about her stalker, really, really poor and predictable radio. Why oh why couldn't we have the wonderful Alison Bell appearing on LBC over Christmas and New Year? The Bring Back Bell campaign is going back into action in '12. Hosken may live in London now but I doubt very much if she is a Londoner. Dreadful, dreadful I'm afraid ladies and gentlemen...
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How I wish I could be more eloquent. :(

Yer what ?!
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few ideas for additional topics that SA could talk about on his show, now that he has to fill some extra hours.

The skin on chicken
    Fast food restaurants in Twickenham
    Going for a walk with Graham
    Fat people
    Diet sheets
    Barbara Windsor (and Steve)
    Costco
    Candles and towels
    Not being a cheese eater
    Pairs of socks
    His chemist
    The Barmy Arms
    Being in "the business"
    Dreadful, dreadful
    Obesity
    Buying multiple DVD box sets
    Mr Blobby

He could also look at articles in the Daily Mirror.

Any more ideas that will help Steve in his hour(s) (and hours) of need?

Erm, brussels sprouts, Kerry Katona, crisps, Gary Linekar, fiddling the meter, living with strippers, the things that make a noise on bicycle wheels, 84850, Brinsworth House, TOWIE, Iceland, miniature tangerines, Marks and Spencer, plastic bags, benefit cheats, benefit claimants, buying two of everything, Bentley owners, Mr Mohdi, the fish shop, Twickenham High Street, chuggers, 84850, Cinese Amanda, AA/RAC, car boot, garage, petrol station staff, bikeys, Emmerdale, soap spoilers, 84850.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yer what ?!

Increasing the length of you LBC postings, King Foamar? :D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Increasing the length of you LBC postings, King Foamar? :D:p

Pardon;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pardon;):p

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All is revealed - although it's not on the website yet - Steve will be doing 4 - 6.30am. Looks like my prediction of a dawn traders type slot was right, unless Ferrari is starting half an hour earlier. <snip>

I reckon either Ferrari starting earlier (and maybe finishing earlier meaning more JO'B) or perhaps some sort of "LBC Morning News" from 6.30-7am with extended news, a longer sports bulletin and business coverage - maybe bring the newspaper reviewer in earlier to break the 30 minutes up a bit.
  • Options
    benidorm2411benidorm2411 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Why should she tell you why she's a single parent? That's her own business.

Because she was discussing in depth the reasons behind single parenthood and, as she often does was speaking from a personal perspective and is part of the 23 percent.

Yes its her business but she has told us about it before I think in her usual "I am wonderful" way.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, brussels sprouts, Kerry Katona, crisps, Gary Linekar, fiddling the meter, living with strippers, the things that make a noise on bicycle wheels, 84850, Brinsworth House, TOWIE, Iceland, miniature tangerines, Marks and Spencer, plastic bags, benefit cheats, benefit claimants, buying two of everything, Bentley owners, Mr Mohdi, the fish shop, Twickenham High Street, chuggers, 84850, Cinese Amanda, AA/RAC, car boot, garage, petrol station staff, bikeys, Emmerdale, soap spoilers, 84850.

And a truly weird obsession with Celia Imrie! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yer what ?!

I can't put what I want to say into intelligible English, it always comes out wrong and then I'm in deep strife. My brain knows what I'm trying to say but my fingers on the keyboard make it all just terribly dreadful, so bad that it doesn't sound anything like it does in my head. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because she was discussing in depth the reasons behind single parenthood and, as she often does was speaking from a personal perspective and is part of the 23 percent.

Yes its her business but she has told us about it before I think in her usual "I am wonderful" way.

In her defence, (should that be an "s" and not a "c", dunno, don't care either if push comes to shove. :D) she's speaking from experience, her own experience. Isn't this better than a presenter talking about, and decrying, benefit claimants when they have no personal knowledge of such a predicament? I say this not having listened to her programme this morning, but isn't it better that a presenter has experienced what they're talking about? Many decry members of the public who have circumstances different to their own, isn't Petrie qualified to encourage debate about something that she has total knowledge of?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    I reckon either Ferrari starting earlier (and maybe finishing earlier meaning more JO'B) or perhaps some sort of "LBC Morning News" from 6.30-7am with extended news, a longer sports bulletin and business coverage - maybe bring the newspaper reviewer in earlier to break the 30 minutes up a bit.

Some time ago I suggested an alternative to 5 Live "Wake Up To Money" maybe this could be it?

Please please no more Brian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In her defence, (should that be an "s" and not a "c", dunno, don't care either if push comes to shove. :D) she's speaking from experience, her own experience. Isn't this better than a presenter talking about, and decrying, benefit claimants when they have no personal knowledge of such a predicament? I say this not having listened to her programme this morning, but isn't it better that a presenter has experienced what they're talking about? Many decry members of the public who have circumstances different to their own, isn't Petrie qualified to encourage debate about something that she has total knowledge of?

Totally agree but it is also the duty of presenters to present a balanced view and this woman is totally one sided when it comes to airing opinions other than hers. She put much spin on the stats she used this morning and manipulated the whole topic into a one sided issue.She offers very little opportunity for an opposite view from callers and please do not say they don't phone in.

She is a clone of Brian that is for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Totally agree but it is also the duty of presenters to present a balanced view and this woman is totally one sided when it comes to airing opinions other than hers. She put much spin on the stats she used this morning and manipulated the whole topic into a one sided issue.She offers very little opportunity for an opposite view from callers and please do not say they don't phone in.

I have to ask, and please forgive me, but .... who the heck is Brian? :D

I have limited listening time available, I'm avid about overnight but have not much knowledge about daytime except for NF who drives me nuts, J.O'B who suffers from a chronic dose of verbal diarrhea and my favourite, James Whale, who I can't tune into but who I loved on Talksport. how I wish he could take over the boring AD slot, Whale is a broadcasting god, he could bring about a fit of hysterical laughter at even the most serious of subjects and why? Because he's seasoned, he's been in the business for decades and he knows it inside out.

Sorry, I digressed, back on topic ... who is Brian? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    I have to ask, and please forgive me, but .... who the heck is Brian? :D

I have limited listening time available, I'm avid about overnight but have not much knowledge about daytime except for NF who drives me nuts, J.O'B who suffers from a chronic dose of verbal diarrhea and my favourite, James Whale, who I can't tune into but who I loved on Talksport. how I wish he could take over the boring AD slot, Whale is a broadcasting god, he could bring about a fit of hysterical laughter at even the most serious of subjects and why? Because he's seasoned, he's been in the business for decades and he knows it inside out.

Sorry, I digressed, back on topic ... who is Brian? :D

James O'Brien.

I was disappointed with Petrie's show today. She gets very agressive when she feels people are having a dig at her. Fortunately most LBC presenters take criticism in their stride, with the exception of Steve of course, who never gets any criticism!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mutleykaz wrote: »
    James O'Brien.

I was disappointed with Petrie's show today. She gets very agressive when she feels people are having a dig at her. Fortunately most LBC presenters take criticism in their stride, with the exception of Steve of course, who never gets and criticism!

Ahhhhh!! All becomes clear, thanks my darling. ;)
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a 20 minute walk is particularly demanding unless like me you are disabled.

Some of the lines you mention share tracks.

There is no excuse for a poor bus replacement service.

The Sudbury Hill Harrow station on Chiltern is as you say not an alternative at Weekends however two minutes walk down the road is Sudbury Hill Piccadilly Line station.

For ten years I was Operations Manger at a large cab and courier company in Sudbury Heights Avenue and I have lived in the area as well.

Trust me I am one of Tfl's biggest critics and as a disabled person, like you, I rely upon public transport.

This was not all ways the case having spent many many years as a commuter in London so please do not make suggestions otherwise.

Have a nice day.

A 20 minute walk is long enough if you have a knee injury, as I did last year, or if you are a parent carrying children or struggling back from Tescos with a few bags of groceries. I suspect if you asked people in the area that experienced the Tube disruption week in week out for 3 years, they would agree with me.

I understand that engineering works are essential but the way they were organised, the lack of consultation with passengers and information provided to us was diabolical. We didn't just have a dire service, most weekends we had no service at all with a next to useless replacement bus service. So like I said in my previous post, perceptions of public transport will differ depending on where you live and when you use the service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't forget young people only want to be famous and most people using disabled badges are fraudsters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've long believed that more balance is required on LBC but Petrie is not the only presenter guilty of this. From Steve Allen, to Nick Ferrari to James Whale to Andrew Pierce, and many of the others inbetween, we get a constant barrage of right-wing opinion with very little balance and alternative views. On the whole, I find Petrie to be more balanced than most of the current LBC presenters.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Totally agree but it is also the duty of presenters to present a balanced view and this woman is totally one sided when it comes to airing opinions other than hers. She put much spin on the stats she used this morning and manipulated the whole topic into a one sided issue.

I didn't catch enough of the show to be sure, but I think she did something similar with the Harrow council taking a cut of baliffs fees story, too, the other day. She started by quoting that Harrow would make a million quid from it and then had to read out a statement saying that it was a million-pound contract, of which Harrow would take a small percentage. It didn't seem to change her approach, though.

In general, though, I find this approach to be the norm on LBC these days, and I don't find Petrie to be the exception. NF has been the worst for this for me, for a looong time now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    A 20 minute walk is long enough if you have a knee injury, as I did last year, or if you are a parent carrying children or struggling back from Tescos with a few bags of groceries. I suspect if you asked people in the area that experienced the Tube disruption week in week out for 3 years, they would agree with me.

I understand that engineering works are essential but the way they were organised, the lack of consultation with passengers and information provided to us was diabolical. We didn't just have a dire service, most weekends we had no service at all with a next to useless replacement bus service. So like I said in my previous post, perceptions of public transport will differ depending on where you live and when you use the service.

OK I surrender as not knowing exactly where you live it is difficult make a case and I have no reason to disbelieve you.

But my own personal knowledge of the LB Harrow is that it is. in general. very well served by public transport and the Metropoliton line has benefited considerably with improvements although of course it has taken a long time.

Perceptions are of course somewhat different to reality.

I blame Brian myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget young people only want to be famous and most people using disabled badges are fraudsters.

Is this something to do with perception?

Don't get me started on Blue Badge abuse, it really is a massive issue and that's a fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've long believed that more balance is required on LBC but Petrie is not the only presenter guilty of this. From Steve Allen, to Nick Ferrari to James Whale to Andrew Pierce, and many of the others inbetween, we get a constant barrage of right-wing opinion with very little balance and alternative views. On the whole, I find Petrie to be more balanced than most of the current LBC presenters.

I think there is a difference between LBC and the BBC. I believe the BBC has to be balanced as part of their charter. Whereas LBC as a commercial organisation does not have to be.

Do we expect the Daily Telegraph or The Guardian to be balanced ?

If you don't like the views being expressed on LBC you can swap to the BBC, as you can swap newspapers.

Unfortunately there is only one radio station like LBC!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do we expect the Daily Telegraph or The Guardian to be balanced ?

If you don't like the views being expressed on LBC you can swap to the BBC, as you can swap newspapers.

Unfortunately there is only one radio station like LBC!

So what newspaper would LBC be comparable to?

Many of the presenters often cite articles in The Mail.

If presenters are merely there to spout their own views it makes a mockery of conversation and debate if it is all ways one sided and might as well ignore the callers.

I listen to LBC not for the presenters ( although it does help if one is acceptable) but for the views and thoughts of other listeners, particularly Londoners. Bit like this forum really.
This discussion has been closed.