Options

Jeremy Clarkson is 100 per cent accurate...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson is a brilliant presenter and a person who deserves respect, especially for the work he carries out mainly on the quiet for Help for Heroes, so if you dont like what he has to say don't watch his show and get over yourself

He also encourages mindless boy racers to burn up fossil fuel, and encourages dangerous driving.
    It's true he can be funny, but I don't watch him on the box anymore, and I'm totally over myself thanks.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He also encourages mindless boy racers to burn up fossil fuel, and encourages dangerous driving.

I didn't know he did this.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why the BBC Director General Mark Thomson should have 100% backed his staff/talent.

Not because they are flawless but because you have to stand up to bullies, once you give in it's a red flag to them.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumph and bah
    Us english will complain about anything and everything because we have nothing else to do with our insignificant lives.
    grumph grumph bah

Yay for top gear, its entertaining mindless watching on tv, it keeps me off the streets, Death to the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    comnutcomnut Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    is Fosdyke pronounced 'boo kay' ???? (not bucket) ..... :D:D
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Err...no. Being a testosterone fueled 'yooff' with too much time and disposable income encourages "mindless boy racers to burn up fossil fuel".

The same amount of boy racers are out on Sunday evening between 8 and 9pm as any other night of the week. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    comnut wrote: »
    is Fosdyke pronounced 'boo kay' ???? (not bucket) ..... :D:D

You got it sunshine :p

Just don't come running to me when the boy racers have used up the last of the fuel.
  • Options
    highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member

Not according to this :-
    In a recent Sun newspaper column Mr Clarkson described the smash as his first serious road accident for 31 years.

He said he had decided that before being allowed on the road "everyone should be made to drive at high speed into a wall".
    He wrote: "Everyone should experience this before they are given a licence.

"It would let them know that crashes really really hurt and that it would be a good idea to not have one."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7704928.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Err...no. Being a testosterone fueled 'yooff' with too much time and disposable income encourages "mindless boy racers to burn up fossil fuel".

The same amount of boy racers are out on Sunday evening between 8 and 9pm as any other night of the week. :D

OK, have it your way then, middle aged racers.
    But be honest, the programmes all about flash cars and speed. Can't the viewers take up something useful, like sex?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    This is why the BBC Director General Mark Thomson should have 100% backed his staff/talent.

Not because they are flawless but because you have to stand up to bullies, once you give in it's a red flag to them.

Exactly - by giving into the tabloids last week, Mark Thomson has set a really bad precedent. Now every time a presenter does or says something vaguely offensive to some people, the tabloids will complain about them being overpaid oafs and ask for heads to roll....and they'll have to roll just to get the tabloids off their back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, have it your way then, middle aged racers.
    But be honest, the programmes all about flash cars and speed. Can't the viewers take up something useful, like sex?
    I wasn't having a go :o , just pointing out that Top Gear isn't the Soddam & Gomorrah of the motoring world, nor Clarkson the devil incarnate ('though I'm sure he'd love to think he is :D )

The programme is mostly about 'speed & flash cars', but it should be shouldn't it? It would be like having Crufts without dogs if it wasn't. lol :D

I do like the idea of more sex as an alternative though!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hmmm, but this does not appear in the front pages, if there is something else more interesting, like muslim butchers not wanting to handle meat, etc....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well I've tried sex on tv..... but we keep falling off!!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Exactly - by giving into the tabloids last week, Mark Thomson has set a really bad precedent. Now every time a presenter does or says something vaguely offensive to some people, the tabloids will complain about them being overpaid oafs and ask for heads to roll....and they'll have to roll just to get the tabloids off their back.
    I'm with you on the precedent thing. Whilst I think that Brand & Ross took a bad joke too far I also think that the consequences were far too severe; particularly in the resignation of Lesley Douglas, Head of BBC2.

If the Clarkson thing turns in to another witch hunt I for one will boycott paying my license fee in protest.

Quite honestly I'm fed up to my back teeth of all this PC nonsense. We shouldn't go out of our way to be offensive, nor encourage deliberately offensive attitudes, but to think it's reasonable to go through life without offending someone sometime somehow is absolutely nuts.

This country needs a damned good dose of common sense. Perhaps when we're all more worried about our jobs and homes then we'll be able to put these little situations in their proper perspective. :cool:
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Quite honestly I'm fed up to my back teeth of all this PC nonsense. We shouldn't go out of our way to be offensive, nor encourage deliberately offensive attitudes, but to think it's reasonable to go through life without offending someone sometime somehow is absolutely nuts.

Finally a sensible balanced view!

There are the puritans on ones side, obviously.
    But the thing that has happened with people harping on about the Daily Mail (:yawn:) is that they have precisely equated rudeness with comedy, humour with edgy, funny with offensive.

While in the real world there is overlap, one would think from listening to these 'liberals' that the only way to be funny is to be offensive!

Senisible middle ground is needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I think Clarkson is funny but there's no denying the man has an ego the size of Mont Blanc (like Ross really) and sooner or later was going to make some inappropriate offensive gaffe that he'd assume was OK because he's Clarkson. I think this is a bit of an over-reaction though - I watched Top Gear on Sunday and didn't even notice the prostitute comment so it didn't offend me, anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I have long suspect JC might have an extra Y-chromosome. :D

He reminds of common big-bloke / small genitals syndrome.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Not for the first time the Truckers and the Prostitutes have come together... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well I've tried sex on tv..... but we keep falling off!!!! :D

That'll teach you to get one of those wide screen jobbies. Your best bet is either lay it on it's back (the TV, that is) or stick to the kitchen table.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People complaining about this really are rather silly. Jokes about occupations etc have always happened, and I doubt lorry drivers will be in tears over this.

the difference with the Ross thing is that an individual was targetted in a very poor way. This bears no resemblance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That'll teach you to get one of those wide screen jobbies. Your best bet is either lay it on it's back (the TV, that is) or stick to the kitchen table.
    sounds like the voice of experience... can you come round for a demo??? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm with you on the precedent thing. Whilst I think that Brand & Ross took a bad joke too far I also think that the consequences were far too severe; particularly in the resignation of Lesley Douglas, Head of BBC2.

If the Clarkson thing turns in to another witch hunt I for one will boycott paying my license fee in protest.

This country needs a damned good dose of common sense. Perhaps when we're all more worried about our jobs and homes then we'll be able to put these little situations in their proper perspective. :cool:

Though I think JC is a plonker, I agree with you 100% on this.
    It'd be a shame for the BBC to get so paranoid that they censor everything.
    Some of the old radio shows (Round the Horne, Beyond our Ken, and I'm sorry I Haven't a Clue) broadcast real, glorious filth; the point was that they didn't offend real people like Sachs. (Plus they were funny, unlike Woss and Brand).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sounds like the voice of experience... can you come round for a demo??? :D

I'll be right round. Just make sure the OH doesn't need the kitchen table to roll out her pastry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News 24 a minute ago . . . spokespros . . . um . . . spokesperson from the English Collective of Prostitutes demands Clarkson should lose his head . . . um . . . I mean job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well of course JC is a plonker!! thats why most of us geezas luv im... no style, just rough edges!

But seriously, JC has always been just having a laugh, usually at himself as well! I think the best was when he tried this 'covered two wheeler' (name??) - and he explained he took his wife out in it... trouble was, after a few drinks he then realised to his horror, NOT that she had to drive, BUT that he had to try to fit into the passenger seat!! cue 'not possible' giggles... so he then proved he CAN get his 6' frame in! - of course when he need help to get out, you can guess what happened.... :D