Options

Why do men do "comb overs"

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been shaving my head since my mid twenties, was quite surprised when I tried growing it and found a massive patch missing at the front.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    Been shaving my head since my mid twenties, was quite surprised when I tried growing it and found a massive patch missing at the front.
    ooo oooo, disguise it by growing a long ponytail at the back, no one will ever know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooo oooo, disguise it by growing a long ponytail at the back, no one will ever know.
    Nah if I needed it I could just comb over from shoulder to the other.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Well my hair on top is all but gone, I should probably get one of 'those' cuts but I like having some hair to run my hands through.

It's horrible feeling a bald scalp for the first time.:(

I have what little hair I have cut on a No 1 setting every ten days or so, I love feeling it when it is done :o.

As has been said having no hair has many advantages and few disadvantages.
    I do have a wide range of winter & summer hats, caps and wolly berrys, including a great Stetson, hats are essential at this time of year (and in Mid-Summer) if you have no hair IMO.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    There was a fella who used to get on my train who would comb the hair from the back of his head over the top and he had it almost glued to the top of his head with a straight accross fringe at the front. He may as well have worn a syrup.

Just noticed your location, but I once got on a train with someone at Tottenham Hale, heading towards Stansted, who had exactly what you describe, so I wonder if it was the same person ?

It was ridiculous, and he wasn't that old either...
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    There is a Seinfeld episode about that.
    Elaine's new boyfriend has shaved his head since his swimming days in college and she asks him to grow it out and he finds out he is going bald.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Well my hair on top is all but gone, I should probably get one of 'those' cuts but I like having some hair to run my hands through.

It's horrible feeling a bald scalp for the first time.:(

C'mon join your bald brothers and get the clippers out , no one takes a blind bit of notice of my shaved off bonce , but comb overs every one looks at even me :)
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    denial...perhaps an ability to see themselves from anothers perspective.
    nothing draws attention like a comb over...
  • Options
    highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I think the comb over is a generational thing – it will son die out. Men in their 20s 30s and 40s know it looks ridiculous so won’t end up with one themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think Donald Trump could afford a decent wig if he is that bothered rather than that comb over he has.
    Here is a Japanese comb over.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xWt_ijpdBnU
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    denial...perhaps an ability to see themselves from anothers perspective.
    nothing draws attention like a comb over...

Ooh, I dunno. It's difficult not to stare at a syrup perched on the top of the scalp.