Some Sap on Sky News

GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who has no idea about what he's talking about, accusing Matt of selling out and taking the quick route to stardom. Quick route? The guy has been trying his best for the past 12 years you condescending and snobby ****.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just can't be happy for others. They have to get a dig in.
    I didn't want to Cher to win but if she'd have won I'd still have said good luck to the girl.
    Obviously the Sap's favourite didn't win.
  • Mona LocaMona Loca Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotham wrote: »
    Some Sap on Sky News

What was his name?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mona Loca wrote: »
    What was his name?

Wagner?
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Wagner?

:D:D:D
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Who has no idea about what he's talking about, accusing Matt of selling out and taking the quick route to stardom. Quick route? The guy has been trying his best for the past 12 years you condescending and snobby ****.

The point being that he has tried and failed to make it via the 'hard' route and 'sold out' his band mates by going solo, then stating that he was a hard working painter and decorator and that 'it is all about the music' etc. etc.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there might be a clue in "trying his best for 12 years"
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Jealousy is always a very ugly trait to see in people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well...while I hope Matt does well for himself, genuinely, people are entitled to hold that view...

The reason being that Matt was in an alternative rock band that released an album just before the XF.

The XF has no musical credibility, fine for a pop star, but not the world of indie/alternative rock.

Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it. Go on the XF that's fine, but don't go on it and then expect to be a credible 'indie' musician.

I don't blame Matt for going on it at all, he wanted to be successful, but given the world he came from I understand that people said he sold out.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get threads like this every year about contestants "selling out"....
    Listen, that's their decision and doesn't affect anyone else so dont worry yourselves over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually it takes years and years of hard graft to become an 'overnight success'.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    dave55 wrote: »
    The point being that he has tried and failed to make it via the 'hard' route and 'sold out' his band mates by going solo, then stating that he was a hard working painter and decorator and that 'it is all about the music' etc. etc.

Actually the part I heard from his VT`s was him saying although he was a painter/decorator he mostly bummed around or wtte.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    Actually the part I heard from his VT`s was him saying although he was a painter/decorator he mostly bummed around or wtte.

He has always said that painting was one amongst many jobs he did to earn money, he painted some rooms in a friend's hotel and also worked behind the bar there. However the X Factor publicity machine decided to turn him into a painter and decorater and that became received wisdom.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona Loca wrote: »
    What was his name?

I didn't catch the start so I don't know, I suspect he's from some "trendy" mag like NME.
    dave55 wrote: »

The point is that this guy wasn't even aware that Matt tried the hard route for 12 years.
  • ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member

exactly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get threads like this every year about contestants "selling out"....
    Listen, that's their decision and doesn't affect anyone else so dont worry yourselves over it.

Err...this is a discussion forum :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parneb wrote: »
    exactly

What about other singers who don't go the X Factor route and try for years to make a success and then eventually after several years they start to build a following and eventually they are in the right place at the right time and become well known. Should they have given up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sometimes people just can't get the breaks through no fault of their own. The likes of Bon Scott and Bruce Springsteen both spent years trying to make it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people just can't get the breaks through no fault of their own. The likes of Bon Scott and Bruce Springsteen both spent years trying to make it.

And they made it! If they'd gone on x-factor we'd have never had AC/DC or Bruce Springsteen (as we know him now).

That's the point!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Matt told a reporter if thought he has sold out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I dislike this notion that if you are liked by many you have sold out and if you are liked by a select few then you are a credible artist. I for one am amazed at the amount of biffy clyro fans who watch the x factor. if biffy clyro suddenly get more attention from the x factor because of this and get public acclaim from the masses does that mean they have sold out. I for one have mainstream and indie style music on my ipod but i basically down load because I like a song/artist not because it fits in with a type of music that is created to give non talented sky reporters/ NME journos etc the chance to lord themselves over the rest of the population because they have "taste" in music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they made it! If they'd gone on x-factor we'd have never had AC/DC or Bruce Springsteen (as we know him now).

That's the point!

Yet it is impossible to say how many great artists are we missing out on because they are not getting the opportunities. That's another point.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On a side note, was anyone else amused when they said Matt had been gigging for 17 years on the show? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the point!

So should Matt have given up? Who are you to tell someone that they're not good enough and to give up on their dreams?
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never thought I'd see Bon Scott mentioned in an XF forum! and what did he once say? "it's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock & roll" seems appropriate eh?

I liked Matt, and he was a worthy winner, but I can understand the cynisism about hm selling out. I know this is my opinion but going by the kind of music he makes I found it hard to believe he was so overawed about dueting with Riannahh.