Well Done to Matt - 5th best selling X Factor Winner's Single ever!

Comments

• mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For all of those who are consantly saying Matt should not have chosen to cover this song well I know thar Biffy is not of the dam mind set. Taken from and artidle in the Independent:

Instead, Scottish rock outfit, Biffy Clyro, will enjoy a Christmas to remember. As songwriters of 'Many of Horror' -- as the song was originally called -- it is they (and not Cardle) who will pocket royalties from sales, airplay and live performance. Estimates suggest they will make a six-figure sum in the short term, with substantial royalty cheques likely to appear in their letter boxes for years to come.

Well at least |Matt did what he wanted to well done Matt;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    As opposed to his future career of wiping the floor for them if they visit the Salford branch of McDonald's next year.

cruel :D
  • GhostlyMaryGhostlyMary Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    To be honest, the highest overall purchase comes from Thurs-Saturdays, well that was the case during 1st week sales, not sure if it will be during the 2nd week sales. The sales normally tail off during the tuesday-weds, but pick up from thurs-saturdays, as they are big shopping days.

No, the highest purchase comes on a Monday which is why "midweek" charts are more often than not an accurate indication of what sales and placings will be come Sunday.
    mitacond wrote: »
    Instead, Scottish rock outfit, Biffy Clyro, will enjoy a Christmas to remember. As songwriters of 'Many of Horror' -- as the song was originally called -- it is they (and not Cardle) who will pocket royalties from sales, airplay and live performance.

Not totally accurate. They will pocket a larger amount but not all of it. Matt will get PPL as he is the performer.
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    How can being No. 1 be a poor performance?

Because chart position is only a reflection of comparison to what else was around at the time.

An X Factor winner (or winner of any other similar show) is always going to be compared to and measured by the achievements of their predecessors, so in this case it's sales.
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    As opposed to his future career of wiping the floor for them if they visit the Salford branch of McDonald's next year.

We will see. The best thing that could happen to Shayne is to be released by SyCo.
    Eejit wrote: »
    I think iTunes were badly affected by the snow, which explains a lot. :( The digital bits got frozen in the internet.

And a lorry jacknifed over at the Amazon MP3 store blocking all the downloads. :cry:

Damn that weather! :mad:

:D:D:D
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    How come Rhianna didn't beat Matt then?

And I maintain that this year's weather is twice as bad as last year's - if you're looking at the country as a whole.

Why would she? Which of Rihanna's singles have sold anywhere near 400k in its first week?

And I think you will find that this year's weather is no worse than last year's. The problem is most people think it's worse in the year it affects them.
    neelia wrote: »
    Apparantly he outsold the rest of the top 5 combined. How does this fare re other years as it would be a better indication,

Which winner got the biggest % of that week's sales????

Mos other winners have almost outsold the rest of the top 10 that week.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to this based on FIRST WEEK... Thurs-Saturdays sell more.

Matt:
    112K - 25.5% Sunday-Monday sales
    54K - 12.3% Tuesday sales
    79K - 18% Wednesday sales
    194K - 44% Thurs, Fri, Saturday sales

Joe:
    77K - 17.07% Sunday-Monday sales
    33K - 7.32% Tuesday sales
    106K - 23.50% Wednesday sales
    235K - 52% Thurs, Fri, Saturday sales

Alex:
    150K - 26.04% Sunday-Monday sales
    35K - 6.08% Tuesday sales
    104K - 18.05% Wednesday sales
    287K - 50% Thurs, Fri, Saturday sales
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Mona Loca wrote: »
    Who was branding Olly a flop before he released anything? You'd have to be mad to have done that. He got more promotion than the winner.

And we all know why
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    mitacond wrote: »
    For all of those who are constantly saying Matt should not have chosen to cover this song

For the one millionth time, he didn't 'choose' it. Cowell 'chose' it for him! ;)
  • davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    :confused:I really dont think Matt cares he came 5th, he still won the show, got a recording contract, xmas no 1 and looks set to stay no 1 for a 2nd week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davedub wrote: »
    :confused:I really dont think Matt cares he came 5th, he still won the show, got a recording contract, xmas no 1 and looks set to stay no 1 for a 2nd week

It's not a matter of whether Matt cares or not. SyCo will care.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has sold an extra 41k yesterday.... bringing it to 121k in three days in this second week.

1st week- 439,000
    2nd week SO FAR- 121,000
    = 560,000
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get the idea he'll sell more albums that Joe and Leon. He appeals to an older audience and as long as they don't give him crap like they gave Joe, I'd say his fan-base are more likely to buy his album. Thats what makes money. Singles generally lose money for alot of record companies (especially covers)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    i get the idea he'll sell more albums that Joe and Leon. He appeals to an older audience and as long as they don't give him crap like they gave Joe, I'd say his fan-base are more likely to buy his album. Thats what makes money. Singles generally lose money for alot of record companies (especially covers)

A very large part of Leon and Joe's fanbase during the show was mature.
  • hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knock Knock

Who's there?

Matt Cardle

Matt Cardle who?

Is it the new year already :)
  • NoahsAarkNoahsAark Posts: 30,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the one millionth time, he didn't 'choose' it. Cowell 'chose' it for him! ;)

How can you possibly 'know' that. The words Matt used were that he had been 'offered' that song ... not 'given'. How many other songs he was 'offered' to consider is unknown.

:)
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very large part of Leon and Joe's fanbase during the show was mature.

and they got given crap songs to perform. One thing about Matt (that alot of people seem to dislike on this forum) is that he knows what he likes. I don't think you'd ever hear him record an album like Joes. the songs on that thing were truly awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Sales mean nothing about quality of music though.

Lots of crap artists sell loads - Cheryl Cole, Susan Boyle, etc. whereas lots of good artists especially indie ones, struggle to reach even 10,000 sales. And yet the indie artists are far superior musically.

The British public know nothing about music. Or rather, they have poor musical tastes.

I thought this was meant to be the credible XF winner - i.e. not the people's pop hero type act, but a genuine artist. So why are people arguing over record sales - imo, the lower the sales figures, the better!
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    JusW wrote: »
    Sales mean nothing about quality of music though.

Lots of crap artists sell loads - Cheryl Cole, Susan Boyle, etc. whereas lots of good artists especially indie ones, struggle to reach even 10,000 sales. And yet the indie artists are far superior musically.

The British public know nothing about music. Or rather, they have poor musical tastes.

I thought this was meant to be the credible XF winner - i.e. not the people's pop hero type act, but a genuine artist. So why are people arguing over record sales - imo, the lower the sales figures, the better!

This is all subjective though, and the thing about the lower the sales the better is silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol at the weather being a reason for people not buying it. BULLSHIT. There's tonnes of snow in my town and it's as manic as ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol at the weather being a reason for people not buying it. BULLSHIT. There's tonnes of snow in my town and it's as manic as ever.

haha :D
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't it be "third lowest", not "fifth highest"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be "third lowest", not "fifth highest"?

Don't we have to wait until it stops selling before we make the final pronouncement?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Don't we have to wait until it stops selling before we make the final pronouncement?

yes I would thing that total overall sales will be what the label are interested in

do we know how he's doing on that front?
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the main reason that I haven't bought it yet.
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member

The original statement was made about first week sales so the answer to that is no.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For the final pronouncement yes we do but assessing initial performance is expected :)
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member

It's a little known fact that inclement weather is an obstacle to people buying Matt's records but not to people buying anything else.