Options

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Paul_Hayes wrote: »
    My Christmas RT cover prediction (Miranda and Mrs Brown pulling a cracker) looks to be way off, given that Miranda features on the cover of the new issue. Ah well! Hope it's a nice classy one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't have a Doctor Who Christmas special preview cover in the next couple of weeks (as they have in several previous years), or my Who/Santa guess for the double issue will be off too!
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael McIntyre's show sounds more like his chat show than the stand-up show he hosted ion Christmas Day sgre will years ago. That's a shame.

Ant and Dec's Takeaway would be perfect for Christmas, just like 2005.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You say that, but the past is often viewed through rose tinted glasses. The Christmas TV we get now is more consistently festive for one thing. Up until 1999 the schedules would change for just three days and normality resumed the first day after Boxing Day unless it was a Bank Holiday. The programming was usually just crammed into three days at Christmas and the two New year days with the occasional movie premiere in between.Val Doonican, Andre Previn, The Good Old Days, Terry Wogan, to name but a few would be on telly each and every Christmas. Sure, there was nothing wrong in that, it is because they were the stars and faces of the BBC at the time. The scenario today is exactly the same as it was then. The BBC's biggest shows plus new gems such as Mapp and Lucia, get high profile Christmas slots. Back in the 70's and 80's you would never had the BBC making films like Esio Trot and signing up Hollywood names to star in them.

The highlighted statement simply isn't true. It might have been in the 1950s and 1960s but from the 1970s onwards Christmas programming began to spread out across the holiday period. I have the Radio and TVTimes to prove it. I agree that you might not have had the Esio Trot example back in the day but that is just one isoated show. On the other hand in "the good old days" there was more variety about the programmes - more sit coms, light entertainment, variety, game shows and so on (because they featured more regularly in normal schedules and provided plenty of options for Christmas specials) and feature films got their first TV airing on the BBC and ITV rather than Sky.

I'm not saying it was a cornucopia of wonderment from start up to closedown every day (there was plenty of crap) but then anyone who claims that of these days is also guilty of donning rose tinted specs. There will be very few daytime highlights outside the main days, plenty of filler and just a few marquee selections. And the same old same old on Christmas Day as for the last few years - TOTP, Strictly, Dr Who, Eastenders, Midwife.

You know you are getting old when your Christmas Day highlight is Her Maj at 3pm - plus Downton of course :D
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone get there Copy yesterday that starts on Sat?

almost every week i get it on the Tuesday but did not come yesterday.
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,101
    Forum Member
    i love sky wrote: »

Yes I received mine.
  • Options
    BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Michael McIntyre's show sounds more like his chat show than the stand-up show he hosted ion Christmas Day sgre will years ago. That's a shame.

Ant and Dec's Takeaway would be perfect for Christmas, just like 2005.

That's because McIntired is a comedy act in the guise of a stand up comedian. People laugh more at his act (poncing about the stage using a superficially posh voice) than they do at the material - (it's little wonder that he is held in such low regard by comedians). As such, whilst people will never tire of new material, they will tire of the same old act)
  • Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »

Mine arrived yesterday, on time but last week's didn't arrive until Wednesday. Yours will probably arrive tomorrow. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    BBC Christmas TV Listings
    Any idea when we will start to get them and the other channels? Thanks.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LibLabCON wrote: »
    BBC Christmas TV Listings
    Any idea when we will start to get them and the other channels? Thanks.

The final schedules will be finalised late afternoon next Tuesday - some of the SKY channels have started to release provisional scehdules
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »

That is surprising. I actually think it's a good thing as it creates a strong schedule for the Saturday after Christmas, which often is full of rubbish. So, perhaps, the 27th December schedule will look like this;

6.30 Strictly Come Dancing
    7.45 Atlantis
    8.30 Bruce's Hall of Fame
    9.30 The National Lottery Draws
    9.40 Strictly Come Dancing: The Results
    10.40 BBC News
    11.00 Film

Certainly keeps the Christmas feel going. Boy in The Dress seems to have been confirmed for New Year's Day.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

Almost certainly a mistake, the quarter final has already been confirmed for the 6th. There's been a few mistakes like that recently, especially with Strictly, so I'd take everything with a pinch of salt until it's confirmed.

Also, I don't know how having the final on the 27th would work, it would mean they would have to train over Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    That is surprising. I actually think it's a good thing as it creates a strong schedule for the Saturday after Christmas, which often is full of rubbish. So, perhaps, the 27th December schedule will look like this;

6.30 Strictly Come Dancing
    7.45 Atlantis
    8.30 Bruce's Hall of Fame
    9.30 The National Lottery Draws
    9.40 Strictly Come Dancing: The Results
    10.40 BBC News
    11.00 Film

Certainly keeps the Christmas feel going. Boy in The Dress seems to have been confirmed for New Year's Day.

Cant really see it on the 27th when are the finalists meant to practice that week and there are 7 couples left this week so by the 20th there will be four which was the number in the final last year

Think they doing this to put ITV off the scent
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant really see it on the 27th when are the finalists meant to practice that week and there are 7 couples left this week so by the 20th there will be four which was the number in the final last year

Think they doing this to put ITV off the scent

That's a good point about practice. The celebrities will be celebrating Christmas too. In hindsight I think you're right. It's baloney!

I think therefore the 27th schedule will consist of Bruce's Hall of Fame and Avengers Assemble.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    The final schedules will be finalised late afternoon next Tuesday - some of the SKY channels have started to release provisional scehdules

We may get early provisional listings (the usual pre-confirmed TBA schedules) released on DigiGuide later today or tomorrow. They should be updating them next Monday before releasing the confirmed schedules the following day Tuesday or into Wednesday :)
  • Options
    jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Hope we get provisionals tonight, it's brilliant to guess how things will change before the big day :D
  • Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Strictly on 27th might be a mistake. But we know from the media centre that the following programmes will appear on each week...

20th Dec - Boxing Day
    Not Going Out (unplaced)
    The Incredible Adventures Of Professor Branestawm (unplaced)
    Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special + 2nd episode (unplaced)
    Michael McIntyre's Christmas Show (unplaced)
    John Bishop's Christmas Show (unplaced)
    Strictly Come Dancing (Sat + Sun as normal)
    On Angel Wings (Christmas Eve - 30 mins in length)

27th Dec - 2nd Jan
    Bruce's Hall of Fame (unplaced)
    The Musketeers (unplaced)
    Strictly Come Dancing Final (possibly a mistake, listed for Sat)
    The Boy In The Dress (New Year's Day)

Based on last year, we might get the provisionals updated for the first time on Digiguide tonight. ITV Press Centre has also updated, listing the following...

Surprise Surprise (Christmas Eve, 8-9pm)
    Paul O' Grady: For The Love of Dogs (Christmas Day, 4:20-5:20pm)
    Christmas Epic Fails (Sat 28th Dec, 8-9pm)
    It'll Be Alright On The Night (Sat 28th Dec, 9-10pm)
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly a mistake, the quarter final has already been confirmed for the 6th. There's been a few mistakes like that recently, especially with Strictly, so I'd take everything with a pinch of salt until it's confirmed.

Also, I don't know how having the final on the 27th would work, it would mean they would have to train over Christmas.
    It'll be a pretty empty ballroom too as there were never any tickets available for the 27th
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    jackc1806 wrote: »
    Hope we get provisionals tonight, it's brilliant to guess how things will change before the big day :D

Yes me too. That's one of the fun aspects for me guessing what programme or movie the broadcasters will fill the gaps with :)
  • Options
    digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    The highlighted statement simply isn't true. It might have been in the 1950s and 1960s but from the 1970s onwards Christmas programming began to spread out across the holiday period. I have the Radio and TVTimes to prove it. I agree that you might not have had the Esio Trot example back in the day but that is just one isoated show. On the other hand in "the good old days" there was more variety about the programmes - more sit coms, light entertainment, variety, game shows and so on (because they featured more regularly in normal schedules and provided plenty of options for Christmas specials) and feature films got their first TV airing on the BBC and ITV rather than Sky.

I'm not saying it was a cornucopia of wonderment from start up to closedown every day (there was plenty of crap) but then anyone who claims that of these days is also guilty of donning rose tinted specs. There will be very few daytime highlights outside the main days, plenty of filler and just a few marquee selections. And the same old same old on Christmas Day as for the last few years - TOTP, Strictly, Dr Who, Eastenders, Midwife.

You know you are getting old when your Christmas Day highlight is Her Maj at 3pm - plus Downton of course :D

Totally agree. One of the reasons why people view christmas TV schedules of the past through "rose tinted" specs is because the ordinary schedules were completely thrown out. The main 2 weeks of Christmas had it's own schedule, not least the fact that there would be programmes on during the daytime!

Peronally I think the BBC still do a good job at Christmas given the multi-channel, internet influenced broadcast arena they find themselves in. However, the lack of 'in house' talent does deplete their Christmas offering.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackc1806 wrote: »

Will probably show up on Friday, if not then then I can them arriving on Monday
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,101
    Forum Member
    Digiguide has updated with provisional listings

BBC1 Christmas Day

9am TBA
    10am Christmas Morning Service
    11am TBA
    1.45pm BBC News
    2pm Top of the Pops
    3pm The Queen
    3.10pm TBA
    4.45pm BBC News
    5pm Strictly Come Dancing
    6.15pm Doctor Who
    7.15pm Call the Midwife
    8.30pm EastEnders
    9.00pm Miranda
    9.35pm EastEnders
    10.05pm Mrs Brown's Boys
    10.40pm The Michael McIntyre Christmassy Christmas Show
    11.40pm BBC News
    11.50pm Weather
    11.55pm On Christmas Night

Will post other days later
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks Marke09 for that Info. Is the south east south of London? I live in Bedford and people don't know which part we are.

It seems to be - I live in Peterborough and we've got it on the Sunday in the last few years (which is a day after all the other magazines).