After watching Miliband on Marr does anyone know what Labour stands for?

MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After just watching Ed Miliband on the Andrew Marr show can anyone make any sense of the Labour Party Policy......

Overseas Aid and the NHS are the only budgets which wont be cut apparently......bang goes all those Labour supporters that are anti-austerity it will continue whoever gets in.....so what is the difference between that and the Tories? I thought they were anti-austerity it appears not now (all of a sudden) so whats the point in voting Labour? You might as well stick with the parties that got us out of the crash - over the one that left 'NO MONEY LEFT'........

Those Labour party supporters that are against austerity are certainly now in for a shock! There only hope now might be the Greens in England!

Comments

• MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour stands for the reaquisition of power at any cost.

That's it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    They don't stand for anything. They try and sit in a world where they pretend they are not Tory lite, when in reality this is exactly what they are.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Yes. Its simple, they exist to bring people down to the lowest common denominator. If you have aspirations or success you are their enemy
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Labour stands for the reaquisition of power at any cost.

That's it.

you could replace the first word of that statement with any of the parties and it would be equally as true
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    labour = borrow and spend
    labour + SNP = borrow and spend + borrow and spend
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you laugh why for the last five years they were saying and voting against every cut that was bought in......now they get near the election they realise they have to be seen as credible and not have fantasy politics so they follow which is clearly working...

...so they are taking up virtually every policy the tories have bought in (so their 5 years of whining has shown up to be wrong) because you can guarantee they wont reverse any of the benefit changes (apart from spare room subsidy) if they get into power......so all the votes against cuts were just playing politics! Do we really want them in charge?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Yes. Its simple, they exist to bring people down to the lowest common denominator. If you have aspirations or success you are their enemy

Because they know if they are successful they will the majority of the time lose their vote......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    Makes you laugh why for the last five years they were saying and voting against every cut that was bought in......now they get near the election they realise they have to be seen as credible and not have fantasy politics so they follow which is clearly working...

...so they are taking up virtually every policy the tories have bought in (so their 5 years of whining has shown up to be wrong) because you can guarantee they wont reverse any of the benefit changes (apart from spare room subsidy) if they get into power......so all the votes against cuts were just playing politics! Do we really want them in charge?

Any party in opposition would do much the same thing. They all play politics. It's the way the game works.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Roll on a few months and enjoy all the left wingers on here posting about the evil Labour government and their wicked cuts and attacks on the poor. The markets won't be keen - and I can see any Labour cuts potentially having to be far worse than they admit.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching Miliband on Marr does anyone know what Labour stands for?

Now that is a strange question to ask after watching the 2 interviews.
    Because Miliband had a lot to say about what Labour will do.
    Whereas Boris had nothing to say about what the Tories will do.

Let's all try to work out why that might be.
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Roll on a few months and enjoy all the left wingers on here posting about the evil Labour government and their wicked cuts and attacks on the poor. The markets won't be keen - and I can see any Labour cuts potentially having to be far worse than they admit.

The truly deluded amongst them will still blame the Tories for it all, even when they are paying more in council tax and VAT. As foodbank use rises again, they will still be slating Cameron and co for not doing more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any party in opposition would do much the same thing. They all play politics. It's the way the game works.

Bang goes a change of direction then, Labour voters might be in for a bit of a shock....they will seemingly get more of the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truly deluded amongst them will still blame the Tories for it all, even when they are paying more in council tax and VAT. As foodbank use rises again, they will still be slating Cameron and co for not doing more.

That's the big rabbit Labour might bring out of the hat in regards to tax......Council tax doubled under Labour......whereas the last five years it has been largely frozen......surely if Labour follow their patter how does that help the cost of living crisis?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bang goes a change of direction then, Labour voters might be in for a bit of a shock....they will seemingly get more of the same.

Well, there's not all that much difference between their deficit reduction plans. Labour's has a smoother curve rather than the rollercoaster-style Tory one.
    Forum Member
    That's the big rabbit Labour might bring out of the hat in regards to tax......Council tax doubled under Labour......whereas the last five years it has been largely frozen......surely if Labour follow their patter how does that help the cost of living crisis?

It's been noticed they have stopped talking about the 'cost of living crisis', 'hard working families' and freezes on energy bills, so expect them to come a knocking for their cash soon after taking office.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband has obviously been told to simply start talking and not to stop. It was interesting seeing Boris and Ed on the same couch - even if you couldn't hear what either were saying as Ed just would not shut the flick up. It could well be a glimpse of the 2020 election.

A fake, artificial confection, replicant of a politician versus a human being.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    After just watching Ed Miliband on the Andrew Marr show can anyone make any sense of the Labour Party Policy......

Overseas Aid and the NHS are the only budgets which wont be cut apparently......bang goes all those Labour supporters that are anti-austerity it will continue whoever gets in.....so what is the difference between that and the Tories? I thought they were anti-austerity it appears not now (all of a sudden) so whats the point in voting Labour? You might as well stick with the parties that got us out of the crash - over the one that left 'NO MONEY LEFT'........

Those Labour party supporters that are against austerity are certainly now in for a shock! There only hope now might be the Greens in England!

Eh? Where did you get that idea from?:confused:
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Miliband has obviously been told to simply start talking and not to stop. It was interesting seeing Boris and Ed on the same couch - even if you couldn't hear what either were saying as Ed just would not shut the flick up. It could well be a glimpse of the 2020 election.

A fake, artificial confection, replicant of a politician versus a human being.

You actually think Boris is anything other than a fake construction?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer to the housing problem is not to inflict restrictions on landlords but to create more affordable/social housing. Families need security, he is right when he says that, but the rent restrictions are not the right thing to do.

You could give thousands of families in need of affordable housing a home by simply creating pre-fab bungalows and using them as a stepping stone for up to five years whilst families try and find somewhere permanent or the local authorities find a secure housing association property. Pre-fabs could also be used by housing associations to avoid families being forced into cramped, unethical one room hostels or B&B's.

And Milliband: "We will do no deal with the SNP"
    = "We will do a deal with the SNP!"
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, there's not all that much difference between their deficit reduction plans. Labour's has a smoother curve rather than the rollercoaster-style Tory one.

The major influence in economic policy is the 2008 crash and the factors that led to it. They will be a major influence for 20 years or more. All this ideological nonsense about aspiration is irrelevant. Better still check out the Rich List in The Times and see how the Rich have doubled their wealth since the crash anyway.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

Indeed - I know I will, and I have already voted for them. Well, not for them, as I live in a Labour/Conservative marginal my vote was cast against the Tories, who would, if they get in, usher in even more drastic austerity cuts than Labour and introduce anti-union legislation that would shame a mid-70s Latin American Fascist dictatorship.

The Labour Party is the slightly lesser of two evils, and I will oppose their austerity measures if they get in just as I oppose the dreadful policies we have had implemented over the last 5 years.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We aren't the Con-Dems"
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They won't they will just blame the previous coalition for anything and everything in the same way the current coalition blame Labour.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't you know it's all Thatcher's fault forever
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You actually think Boris is anything other than a fake construction?

I think Boris is Boris, warts n all. I don't rate him as a politician, but I know which of the two I'd like to spend an evening with. I could live with him as PM so long as there were more serious people behind pushing the buttons and he did what he does best - front of house.

I will guarantee he has much better jokes than Ed. I doubt whether Ed actually knows any at all.