Options

Art of Noise, Close To The Edit-30 Years on

Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
Forum Member
✭✭
Exactly thirty years on, who else recalls what a brilliantly original and surreal record (and video) this was?

Art Of Noise-Close To The Edit (1985)

Comments

• Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to agree, OP. Great tune.

It remained in the charts for quite some time too (by '80s chart standards)

Moments In Love and Beatbox were also very fine.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked their version of Peter Gunn feat Duane Eddy. Also the late great Rik Mayall stared in the Vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH33RIfi2KI

(still hurts to write " the late Rik Mayall")
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/theartofnoise

they are doing a similar thing to the frankie box

there's been piles of ZTT reissues the last few years, it's been great to hear stuff after so long, but it's a bit of a cash in as they reissue loads of stuff you already have with a few new bits on loads of different releases
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought it on cassette after seeing the piano-slashing video, great album and listened to it loads of times on my new-fangled 'walkman'.

Unfortunately it got stolen at uni with all my other stuff and I never replaced it.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got their Who's Afraid Of? album and a few of their 12" singles stored away somewhere.

Also got their compilation album 'Daft' on SACD, which has been remixed & remastered in 5.1 Surround and Stereo Sound by Trevor Horn.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes great song but stretching the truth by saying EXACTLY 30 years, 7 months ago that would have been true.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic song. You listen it now and end up thinking why is so much of todays electronic music so hopelessly bland and derivative in comparison?

Everytime I listen to what's doing the rounds on Radio 1 I cringe at how it all sounds the same. And that is not just me getting old, it really does all sound the same. Its seems everything that gets played now just uses the same bag of tricks taken from You-Tube tutorial videos. All of it utter sh*te, made by idiot DJ's or "producers" wanting to get rich from the most easy formula possible.

Whatever people think to their latest album, I couldn't help but agree with the Prodigy's savage attack on modern EDM culture for the reasons I've stated in the last paragraph. Which funnily enough kinda leads back to Close To The Edit with Firestarter famously sampling the "hey!" off the track.
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic song. You listen it now and end up thinking why is so much of todays electronic music so hopelessly bland and derivative in comparison?
    Its seems everything that gets played now just uses the same bag of tricks taken from You-Tube tutorial videos. All of it utter sh*te, made by idiot DJ's or "producers" wanting to get rich from the most easy formula possible.

Too true. Mostly talentless morons, the same kind of people who take pre-recorded sets to a club gig and pretend to 'DJ'. It's become an industry of fakes, wannabes and here today gone tomorrows as far as modern producers and DJ's are concerned.