F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• EchtiEchti Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    With just only one week to go I wonder if we will see HD onboards this year!?
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha... Loved that "DMN owns" comment.
    He was somewhere in the region of 10 years old when we started this thread.

Just seen NBCSN sched for the F1 season
    A few massive gaping holes in their coverage at the moment.

Cue famous Joni Mitchell lyric.
    Jp
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    Serious? If so, now one of the more powerful men in British Motorsport, heads up the MSV company that owns Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and more.

And his son is a GP2 Driver I think (well was last season)
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »

Jp

I was a sprightly 36 year old!:D I wonder how embarrassing DMN's first posts were!

He was just a wee kid!:D

Ken
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jp

Ahh...Joni M that reminds me, www.surfradio.nl tonight from 6pm. You will be mentioned JP!
    Ahh we were all so young 11 years ago...sigh!
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's true. DMN did start the thread:
    Vroom vrooms go fast! Wwweeeeeeeeeeooohhhhh!
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    Ahh...Joni M that reminds me, www.surfradio.nl tonight from 6pm. You will be mentioned JP!
    Ahh we were all so young 11 years ago...sigh!

Ok then..
    How about 2 additions for the playlist tonight then.

Big Yellow Taxi

(which contains the related lyric I alluded to)

The Only Joy In Town
    (which contains Joni's reference to Lewis Hamilton)

I'll drop by the show at the top before the NASCAR race @ 6:30

Jp
  • Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC F1 preview show tonight on Radio 5 at 9pm with Suzi, DC, Jennie Gow and Gary Anderson. Will also be available via iPlayer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01r51tk/5_live_Formula_1_2013_Season_Preview/ :)
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how the Classic F1 titles are classic-only clips.
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey DMN, great to see you're doing interviews with background technical staff on your blog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Melbourne only 1 week away, Here's 2 Helmet-Cam laps from Melbourne Last year:
    https://vimeo.com/61430912

Couple of thoughts
    1) So the Playstation drivers eye view, which I always thought was pretty realistic - is totally wrong!
    It's a lot more static and less bumpy than the real world, and always gives you a good view of the steering wheel and flameproof gloves.

2)Sounded like Webber didn't lift off in the yellow flag zone with the HRT parked at the side of the track. Did he get done for that?
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member

....my praise for DMN has exposed how new to the forum I am!! :o

At least the guy who was slagging off the regulars with his "you guys don't own the forum" rant has not reappeared recently......
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    It's great that we have classic F1 races now. Maybe it would a good idea, in particular for the races after 1996, if we could have old qualifying included (given that it is available as ITV didn't show all qualifying sessions from 1997-08). So you could have full qualifying to give a bit of background to the classic GP weekend, then the full race.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Echti wrote: »
    With just only one week to go I wonder if we will see HD onboards this year!?

It'd be great, but I haven't heard anything about it since Christian Sylt suggested it was coming "in the near future" back in November, and you'd think Sky in particular would be bleating on about it endlessly if they had been made aware of it coming. But hey, maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha I'd forgotten how much of a mess this race start was!
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Australian GP looks so much better when it starts at 1pm (or thereabouts) rather than late afternoon.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Australian GP looks so much better when it starts at 1pm (or thereabouts) rather than late afternoon.

Always exciting with a 2am/3am no-mans land race time where you don't know if you should sleep before or blast through and stay awake! :D

Enjoying this 1999 GP again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a broadcasting perspective its funny how "sparse" in relative terms the old broadcasts feel - very few onboards (Murray says only Ralf Schumacher's Williams had one??! Surely not - only one allowed for the world feed presumably?), no team radio, no permanent on-screen graphics presence, no multistart replay. Little midfield coverage, let alone back of the grid coverage - despite the lack of overtaking up front and Schumacher scything his way through from the back.

I think one of the great advantages nowadays of the coverage is that even if the race isn't great (which with all the funky tyres and DRS is generally not that often) there's plenty of way to at least show you a different picture that they didn't have (or use, anyway) so much back then. But it is cool to be reminded of what it was like back then.

On a random, what were the black dots on the graphics beside driver name? It looks like a remnant from an old tyre graphic, no longer needed since only Bridgestone were there, so why did they just not get rid of it?
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see pre/post race interviews for all the classic races, maybe a bit of quali action, and generally some build up (eg saying that Aus 94 was a final round title decider with Schumacher 1 point ahead despite various DQ's/bans through the season). Oh and I agree about the time. For me, there was no better way to start the season than being up at silly o'clock while most of the country is asleep while watching the first race of the season at about 3am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    From a broadcasting perspective its funny how "sparse" in relative terms the old broadcasts feel - very few onboards (Murray says only Ralf Schumacher's Williams had one??! Surely not - only one allowed for the world feed presumably?), no team radio, no permanent on-screen graphics presence, no multistart replay. Little midfield coverage, let alone back of the grid coverage - despite the lack of overtaking up front and Schumacher scything his way through from the back.

I think one of the great advantages nowadays of the coverage is that even if the race isn't great (which with all the funky tyres and DRS is generally not that often) there's plenty of way to at least show you a different picture that they didn't have (or use, anyway) so much back then. But it is cool to be reminded of what it was like back then.

On a random, what were the black dots on the graphics beside driver name? It looks like a remnant from an old tyre graphic, no longer needed since only Bridgestone were there, so why did they just not get rid of it?

Computers going down in the comm-box, no idea if the Safety Car is out or not... Took 'til nearly half distance to work out they are doing 57 laps instead of 58! 12 cars left after 25 laps :D Classic F1. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 cars left after 25 laps :D Classic F1. ;)

Guess you didn't need to cover the midfield/back of the field back then, everyone's cars expired and the back naturally gravitated to the front :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know why i loved the old Stop/Go Penalty graphic... /nerdsville. :o:p
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,391
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I watched the F1D+ broadcast not long ago & watching the world-feed broadcast again show just how far ahead FOM were with F1D+ by 1999.

Fair bit more Information available via the graphics despite the lap counter vanishing (Which were brand new at the time), Better camera angles, Picking stuff up live a lot more, Following the right cars, Flow of the direction was way better & of course they had a lot more OnBoard's available.

Odd that they seemed to only have Ralf's OnBoard available on the world-feed as they had shown shots from Diniz & one of the Jordan's earlier in the weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had one of those wonderful moments that you got in other countries taking the ITV feed in 1999 where Murray randomly starts commentating over something that happened 5 minutes ago because they are replaying something "as live" that happened during an ad break. I remember it definitely happens in Nurburgring aswell and I'm sure on other occasions too.

Also the race has clearly been edited and in a somewhat British Eurosport style. Removing things that are then referred to a minute later by the commentators. (Zanardis retirement is one example).
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ajay wrote: »
    Also the race has clearly been edited and in a somewhat British Eurosport style. Removing things that are then referred to a minute later by the commentators. (Zanardis retirement is one example).

It looks like they've took some of the ITV ad-breaks out - not all of them, but some of them.
This discussion has been closed.