Options

School closes in term time so teachers can go to the Vatican

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
Furious parents have blasted a Catholic primary school as 'hypocritical' for closing in term time so that its teachers can travel to Rome for a four-day pilgrimage.

Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Primary School in Birmingham has closed its doors today for a 'teacher day' so its staff can take the overseas trip to Italy.

But parents have criticised the school for closing in term time when they would be fined for doing the same thing.

The father of one of the school's pupils, who did not wish to be named, described it as a 'disgrace'.

He said: 'Nowadays parents are fined if they take their children out of school for trips or holidays, and that's something I agree with.

'But what I do find abhorrent is that a school will then fail to lead by example by closing to pupils so the teachers can swan off to Rome.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3063836/Parents-fury-Catholic-primary-school-reveals-close-term-time-teachers-pilgrimage-Vatican.html

Right or wrong?

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I agree with the parents.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    takes the piss.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the teachers not agree on another date to go during their 10+ weeks holiday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Could the teachers not agree on another date to go during their 10+ weeks holiday?

More info.
    Headteacher Bernadette O'Shea said the trip followed a 'successful staff pilgrimage' two years ago to Lourdes in France.
    'We are an outstanding school and our faith is very important to us, as is the spirituality of both the children and the staff,' she added. 'Training days are about staff development, and as a faith school nurturing staff's spirituality is crucial.'
    She said at least one of its five annual teacher training days was devoted to teachers' 'spiritual development'.
    She insisted it was not a holiday and staff would have a 'packed itinerary', including prayer sessions and 'periods of reflection'.
    She said parents were notified about the training day, which had been authorised by the school's governors, last September and had 'plenty of notice' to arrange childcare provision.
    'I can assure parents the trip is fully funded by teachers themselves - anyone who is concerned are more than welcome to see their payment plans or to audit our accounts,' she added.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS. It's not like they are meeting the pope. This could of been done anytime during the huge amount of holidays teachers get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I chose to send my children to a school called 'Our Lady of Lourdes' I probably wouldn't be too shocked if the school organised a trip to the Vatican, even if it involved one day off. Catholic high schools often arrange pilgrimages during term time. Presumably no one is forced to go to a Catholic school; indeed, round here they are over-subscribed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I chose to send my children to a school called 'Our Lady of Lourdes' I probably wouldn't be too shocked if the school organised a trip to the Vatican, even if it involved one day off. Catholic high schools often arrange pilgrimages during term time. Presumably no one is forced to go to a Catholic school; indeed, round here they are over-subscribed.

Serves the non-religous parents right for taking advantage of the lord.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    More info.

I think the head is missing the point quite spectacularly!
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold on. All schools have a set amount of teacher training days when they are closed and do who knows what. In this instance the school have let it be known what is happening on their training day. If they weren't going they'd still be closed on that date or another for staff training.

Can't see what the fuss is about.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    they should be subject to the same fine for absences as parents are.

edit:

i swear to god the op was about four days in lourdes last time i looked.

note to self: lay off the trammies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Hold on. All schools have a set amount of teacher training days when they are closed and do who knows what. In this instance the school have let it be known what is happening on their training day. If they weren't going they'd still be closed on that date or another for staff training.

That will teach me to skim read. I missed the bit about it being a training day.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

It's 4 days so unless they have saved up all their days to take at once then it's not a training day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So was this during one of their so called 'inservice days' (that's what we call them here) ie. when the kids are off school but the teacher's still need to attend for meetings, training etc. ?

If so, then that is quite different to "closing in term time so that teachers can travel to Rome".

Although it does say in the OP that it was for a 4 day pilgrimage :confused:

If they did indeed close the school for 4 days whole the pupils should have had lessons then that is well and truly taking the piss.

Edit - just realised the 4 days includes the weekend and the bank holiday.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It's 4 days so unless they have saved up all their days to take at once then it's not a training day.

No. The training day is today. The other 3 days are the weekend plus the bank holiday.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 days. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday Monday.

School shut one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    That will teach me to skim read. I missed the bit about it being a training day.

Forgiven!! :D
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well clearly the thick and uneducated on here can't see that. 😁
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Forgiven!! :D

:D . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. The training day is today. The other 3 days are the weekend plus the bank holiday.
    So why are the parents angry then if the pupils aren't supposed to back until Tuesday anyway?? :confused:

Unless today is an 'unofficial' training day and the kids would normally be in today. I know all the school around our way are open today.

If they have shut the school early, even just for one day, I can see why some parents would be annoyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

The parents as well?

Training days might involved some sort of training?
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 day pilgrimage but its only closed one day?

Or is that because it's a bank holiday on Monday so the school would be closes anyway?

In any case if it is classed as a training day I don't see the problem, providing this isn't an extra training day on top of the ones they already take.

FYI ten weeks holiday or not, the teachers I know spend their summers working and will often be in school. During term time they also work harder than anyone else I know, as most others are able to leave their work at work. I know there are exceptions. My point being, harping on about their 10weeks "holiday" is somewhat unfair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Rather OTT.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    So why are the parents angry then if the pupils aren't supposed to back until Tuesday anyway?? :confused:

Unless today is an 'unofficial' training day and the kids would normally be in today. I know all the school around our way are open today.

If they have shut the school early, even just for one day, I can see why some parents would be annoyed.

BIB According to a post ^^, the date was given to parents with the other training day dates last September. But you're right, if it had just come out of the blue, parents would have a case. In this case they don't as they were told 8 months ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 day pilgrimage but its only closed one day?

Or is that because it's a bank holiday on Monday so the school would be closes anyway?

In any case if it is classed as a training day I don't see the problem, providing this isn't an extra training day on top of the ones they already take.

FYI ten weeks holiday or not, the teachers I know spend their summers working and will often be in school. During term time they also work harder than anyone else I know, as most others are able to leave their work at work. I know there are exceptions. My point being, harping on about their 10weeks "holiday" is somewhat unfair.
    I take it this is aimed at me since I mentioned their 10+ weeks holiday but I think you are being unfair - I'm certainly not "harping on" about anything; I only asked if there wasn't a date they could all agree on to go during their holidays since , IF it turns out that the school did close and had an unofficial 'staff training day' just to facilitate this pilgrimage then I think that's out of order.
    However, IF it is a genuine training day today and the kids were never meant to be back in school until after the bank holiday then, like you, I don't see a problem.

FYI I am quite familiar how hard teachers work and how much they earn and deserve their holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB According to a post ^^, the date was given to parents with the other training day dates last September. But you're right, if it had just come out of the blue, parents would have a case. In this case they don't as they were told 8 months ago.
    Ah, ok then. I can't open the link to the story on my phone for some reason so couldn't read it all so this is what was confusing me.

If that's the case and the parents were informed last September that the school would be closed today then I don't really see an issue.

Although, as an aside, I thought all public schools were supposed to have the same holidays/training days governed by which council they are in? Are schools allowed to just choose dates for their own training days etc?