Rolf Harris

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
Forum Member
✭✭
Did Rolf Harris ever have a song in the charts called " My boomerang won't come back"?

Comments

• DinglebertDinglebert Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    Did Rolf Harris ever have a song in the charts called " My boomerang won't come back"?

No he didnt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dinglebert wrote: »
    Yes, next question

What CD is it available on?
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the lyrics, so un-PC. He wouldn't get away with it in this day and age. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Read the lyrics, so un-PC. He wouldn't get away with it in this day and age. :D

Can you give me a link to the lyrics please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    No - it was Charlie Drake - definitely not Rolf Harris.
  • DinglebertDinglebert Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I'm going to correct myself

No was the correct answer it was Charlie Drake who had the song and Rolf Harris hated it as he felt it was racist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you give me a link to the lyrics please?

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/m/myboomerangwontcomeback.shtml
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had that song on a compilation LP of children's songs called "All Aboard" which I think was released in the late 70s. It was released on CD a few years ago but its now out of print and hard to find.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Original-All-Time-Childrens-Favourites/dp/B000026GLX
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No was the correct answer it was Charlie Drake who had the song and Rolf Harris hated it as he felt it was racist.

However, Rolf did use some questionable words in his own songs. Carra Barra Wirra Canna refers to aboriginal children as "picaninnies"

Also, he originally used to include the following verse in "Tie Me Kangaroo Down":

"Let me Abos go loose, Lou,
    let me Abos go loose.
    They're of no further use, Lou,
    so let me Abos go loose."

Though, to his credit, he removed it in later years.

I think Rolf is a top bloke.
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Anyone else remember Rolf's Christmas song "6 White Boomers"?

Six white boomers, snow white boomers
    Racing Santa Claus through the blazing sun
    .. On his Aus-tra-lian run

Nobody else I know has ever heard of it but I remeber it from my childhood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"This trip is an extra trip, Santa's special flight!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep I do. A good Aussie Christmas carol that's more in tune with what's going on in Australia in December. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Rolf put to sleep in the last episode of Animal Hospital?

I've definitely not seen him since the show was cancelled. :eek:
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Kevin bl**dy wilsons - living next door to allan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_M5geUtb2Y
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aspartame wrote: »
    Wasn't Rolf put to sleep in the last episode of Animal Hospital?

I've definitely not seen him since the show was cancelled. :eek:
    He's done Portraits and 'art project' stuff on Sunday evenings.

One was of the Queen - it was well publicised.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he sings on the last kate bush album!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

I was listening to a Rolf Harris song that I have called "Someone's Pinched Me Winkles" the other day, and then it occurred to me that this was a retaliation to Charlie Drake's "Boomerang" song.

I can find no reference to this online, but I can only infer that Rolf disliked the Charlie Drake song, not because it was racist, but for a number of other reasons:

a) it was a Cockney doing an Australian theme
    b) here was Charlie Drake muscling in on his territory
    c) it was done in an inauthentic manner that sounded more like Red Indians than indigenous Australians
    d) the fake digeridoo

So Rolf wrote and recorded a "mockney" song to get back at him. And he really laid it on thick, with a trowel. The song was loaded with things like:

a) he goes "oo-wacka oo-wacka oo-wacka oo" at the start, in imitation of the fake didge at the start of "Boomerang"
    b) tells the band "here's an authentic Cockney folk song I've just written"
    c) refers to Cockney "tribes" living in "teepees"
    d) purposefully mispronounces "Thames" to rhyme with "games"
    e) has a crack at the English weather ("the snow was on the ground")
    f) when the Cockney "chief" makes an appearance near the song's end, he speaks in a high, effeminate voice (possibly a parody of Charlie Drake's voice)
    G) in the fade-out, he babbles on in a pedantic, circular manner, just like Drake does in the fade-out of "Boomerang".

As for the racism bit, the most off-colour line in "Boomerang" is "practiced till I was black in the face".

Rolf Harris retired the "let the abos go loose, Lou" verse in 1960, and the reference to "piccaninnies" in "Karra Barra Wirra Kanna", while seen nowadays as a patronising term for Aboriginal babies, was really more just a symbol of more innocent (or less enlightened) times. Rolf was actually very keen to get authentic-sounding indigenous songs onto his records, and had to fight against producers like George Martin to have songs like "Sun Arise" feature the non-modulating drone of a didge all the way through the song (Rolf thought it was hypnotic, while Martin thought it was boring).

Another song that has questionable references to Aborigines in it is one from the late 60s by one Bill "Moon Man" Renfree called "Dig That Crazy Digeridoo", which features the chorus refrain:

"Dig that crazy digeridoo
    Dig that crazy digeridoo
    Ev'rybody's happy and there's nobody blue
    When the abos blow on the digeridoo".
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, Rolf did use some questionable words in his own songs. Carra Barra Wirra Canna refers to aboriginal children as "picaninnies".

Except Carra Barra Wirra Canna was an aboriginal lullaby....
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brilton wrote: »
    I was listening to a Rolf Harris song that I have called "Someone's Pinched Me Winkles" the other day, and then it occurred to me that this was a retaliation to Charlie Drake's "Boomerang" song.

I can find no reference to this online, but I can only infer that Rolf disliked the Charlie Drake song, not because it was racist, but for a number of other reasons:

a) it was a Cockney doing an Australian theme
    b) here was Charlie Drake muscling in on his territory
    c) it was done in an inauthentic manner that sounded more like Red Indians than indigenous Australians
    d) the fake digeridoo

So Rolf wrote and recorded a "mockney" song to get back at him. And he really laid it on thick, with a trowel. The song was loaded with things like:

a) he goes "oo-wacka oo-wacka oo-wacka oo" at the start, in imitation of the fake didge at the start of "Boomerang"
    b) tells the band "here's an authentic Cockney folk song I've just written"
    c) refers to Cockney "tribes" living in "teepees"
    d) purposefully mispronounces "Thames" to rhyme with "games"
    e) has a crack at the English weather ("the snow was on the ground")
    f) when the Cockney "chief" makes an appearance near the song's end, he speaks in a high, effeminate voice (possibly a parody of Charlie Drake's voice)
    G) in the fade-out, he babbles on in a pedantic, circular manner, just like Drake does in the fade-out of "Boomerang".

As for the racism bit, the most off-colour line in "Boomerang" is "practiced till I was black in the face".

Rolf Harris retired the "let the abos go loose, Lou" verse in 1960, and the reference to "piccaninnies" in "Karra Barra Wirra Kanna", while seen nowadays as a patronising term for Aboriginal babies, was really more just a symbol of more innocent (or less enlightened) times. Rolf was actually very keen to get authentic-sounding indigenous songs onto his records, and had to fight against producers like George Martin to have songs like "Sun Arise" feature the non-modulating drone of a didge all the way through the song (Rolf thought it was hypnotic, while Martin thought it was boring).

Another song that has questionable references to Aborigines in it is one from the late 60s by one Bill "Moon Man" Renfree called "Dig That Crazy Digeridoo", which features the chorus refrain:

"Dig that crazy digeridoo
    Dig that crazy digeridoo
    Ev'rybody's happy and there's nobody blue
    When the abos blow on the digeridoo".

Someone Pinched Me Winkles was the B side of the original Sun Arise release (takes off anorak)

Sun Arise is a great song, captures the mood excellently. I used to love it when he had his show and would do his paintings (usually with a group of Dancers called "The Young Generation" sitting down and watching intently) and then sing a song based on the painting. I do remember Sun Arise being done a couple of times.

Also - it was good enough for Alice Cooper to record on his Love It To Death (third) album.
  • airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone's Pinched My Winkles was a classic. I have a Rolf Harris LP somewhere that was my aunt's I think, great stuff. :D