hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... did he have an elastic band round his balls ? :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Sob story in sundays mirror "My dad died 3 years ago" Lame attempt to gather sympathy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    ... did he have an elastic band round his balls ? :o

I made a mistake. When he started to sing I thought it was a wind up and that he was MIMING a song by a female so didnt take his singing seriously. I think even Ant and Dec wernt sure.

Anyway this guy was on telly this morning he is genuine, i reckon he would make a great female singing impersonator, he sounds too much like a women when singing and actually could look like one with the right make up and clothes.

Its weird as he has a very deep voice when he is talking.

I felt embarrassed for not taking him seriously but only for a few seconds. :o
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Its weird as he has a very deep voice when he is talking.

Most professional counter-tenors are natural baritones - some are natural tenors, but it's still a broken voice.

The only time it isn't is if their voice doesn't actually break - there's only one singer i can think of where that's the case, and it's certainly more surprising than the former case!

It's only weird if you don't understand the physics of the voice.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit when he sang first few bars I thought he was miming to a woman's voice, or that maybe he was going to use the 'recording' as backing. But then I realised he was actually singing, I didn't think he was weird, just surprising.
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that had been a woman singing how great would it have been? I thought it was excellent but i aint no expert.

I thought the singing was good enough to get him through and the fact he was a bloke and especially the way he dresses - it really added to the whole thing. thought he was fab and couldn't quite beleive the judges weren't more positive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I must admit when he sang first few bars I thought he was miming to a woman's voice, or that maybe he was going to use the 'recording' as backing. But then I realised he was actually singing, I didn't think he was weird, just surprising.

Me too, I was really confused at first! I couldnt tell if he was singing or if he was miming for ages?
    And from the looks of it Amanda didnt have a clue what was going on initially either, and she was sat right in front of him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I knew what was happening, but then I'm a singer...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L34HC1M wrote: »
    Sob story in sundays mirror "My dad died 3 years ago" Lame attempt to gather sympathy

makes no differene he has a talent - a rare one !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was terrible. I guess i was the only one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    laura_lou wrote: »
    I thought he was terrible. I guess i was the only one.

I don't think he was particularly good either, just that the reaction to people hearing that voice type is wrong. He needs training.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was fantastic !

I watched open-mouthed and totally mesmerised.

My winner so far :)
  • Options
    ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it had been a female it would have been great but because it was a bloke everyone seems confused !!

What does he sing NEXT is the burning question !!??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Counter tenors aren't that rare in the classical world - I didn't think he was particularly good - as ForestChav says he needs a lot of training if he's going down that route.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    He reminded of the guy on youtube that sings Aladdins 'A whole new world' both male and female parts!
  • Options
    ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freefallin wrote: »
    He reminded of the guy on youtube that sings Aladdins 'A whole new world' both male and female parts!

mmmm - maybe that's the way forward for him !!!

Singing both parts of male/female duets !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zincubus wrote: »
    mmmm - maybe that's the way forward for him !!!

Singing both parts of male/female duets !!

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557447

2 male singers :s
  • Options
    EsqualitaEsqualita Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is a counter tenor singing a tenor aria? There are plenty of baroque counter tenor arias for him to murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Esqualita wrote: »
    Why is a counter tenor singing a tenor aria? There are plenty of baroque counter tenor arias for him to murder.

Because
    1. he's more of a male soprano than a counter-tenor
    2. often soprano/tenor parts are interchangeable with little other than octave transpositions
    3. it's a piece a lot of people know because of Paul Potts and Italia 90 unlike most of the counter-tenor arias
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ansell is a high tenor
    Sung ND before Paul P
    Cregg is the 1st guy whom sings as Cantor Tenor
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow..theres some really nasty remarks being left on you tube about him..
  • Options
    Forum Member

There are about choirboys, there were plenty about Andrew Johnston last year. And their voices haven't broken yet, so it's hardly their fault they're singing in a high voice.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esqualita wrote: »

Plenty of well known sopranos have sung Nessun Dorma over the years; it's a fairly easy transition...

A top soprano makes it sound effortless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inV3RlOTOXM

Indeed there's a wonderful light hearted clip around where she sings the difficult baritone piece Largo Al Factotum from the Barber of Seville… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mol_ttm6uVI

Absolutely nothing wrong with it when done well…
  • Options
    dellaradellara Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Wow, that's a surprise;) That place is a cesspit of comments at times, posted by some with few better things to do in life.
  • Options
    MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    I knew what was happening, but then I'm a singer...

Do you think his voice confines him to classical music, or could he do something modern maybe?

I wondered if anyone remembers the fantastic falsetto vocals of Russell Thompson, the lead singer of the Stylistics back in the 70's. I would love Greg to come on next time and suprise us with a pop/soul song, something like "You Make me Feel Brand New" :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Marguerite wrote: »
    Do you think his voice confines him to classical music, or could he do something modern maybe?

Nah, a musical enough singer should be able to adapt without significant problems.