Options

Why no golf

124»

Comments

• Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    All are being filmed in HD though, including the BBC's three picks.

However the BBC isn't restricted to using its own equipment. Indeed it would be pretty stuck if that was the case.

They are using SIS facilities on the golf (and SIS is the largest OB company in the UK with no shortage of HD trucks).

Indeed, the BBC have no OB facilities (except for news satellite trucks and the like), they were all sold to SIS last year.

They have no playout facilities or transmitters either, in fact they have very few broadcasting facilities at all (rather like most other TV stations, except Sky who do most stuff in house)
  • Options
    calcotroyalcalcotroyal Posts: 104
    Forum Member

However the BBC isn't restricted to using its own equipment. Indeed it would be pretty stuck if that was the case.

They are using SIS facilities on the golf (and SIS is the largest OB company in the UK with no shortage of HD trucks).

SIS have 3 HD units and 2 are at wentworth(units 10+12) so it looks like VISIONS,ARENA,BOW TIE and TELEVIDEO will be used for the footy.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SIS have 3 HD units and 2 are at wentworth(units 10+12)....

So why not broadcast it in HD then?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, the BBC have no OB facilities (except for news satellite trucks and the like), they were all sold to SIS last year.

Even most of the news satellite trucks are really Globecast or SIS vehicles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    So why not broadcast it in HD then?

dunno mate:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Even most of the news satellite trucks are really Globecast or SIS vehicles.

This is incorrect, almost all are BBC operated and although the vehicles are not owned outright, they are not rented from Globecast or SIS (rather a van hire company), and they are then fitted out for the BBC. I think there are a few permanent contracts for use of the third party trucks and crew by the BBC, but really these are only used when the BBC trucks for that area are preoccupied, or for special events.

This is in contrast to the BBCs competitors, most of which have no self provide trucks outside London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SIS have 3 HD units and 2 are at wentworth(units 10+12) so it looks like VISIONS,ARENA,BOW TIE and TELEVIDEO will be used for the footy.

SIS have 4 HD Units, and many more coming out in time for Wimbledon etc. Did you forget OB3? And U10 is not at Wentworth, it is at Anfield tomorrow (or even today).

And Arius - I hear a vague rumour that SIS is in the running to get Champs League from 021?

;)
  • Options
    SteSte Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are they filmed in HD when no highlights are shown in HD and no international broadcaster gets a HD feed of anything other than the Sky Sports games?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OB racks wrote: »
    And Arius - I hear a vague rumour that SIS is in the running to get Champs League from 021?

;)

Yes. And they will probably put in the lowest bid. But it's about more than just money, ITV is looking for added value and I don't think they were very impressed with SIS' efforts at boxing earlier this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ste wrote: »
    Why are they filmed in HD when no highlights are shown in HD and no international broadcaster gets a HD feed of anything other than the Sky Sports games?

Because the Premier League demands it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Except that, as then, things ARE moving on, even if they are not moving as fast as, or in the direction that you would like. And for every golf fan decrying the lack of HD for golf, there will be drama fans decrying the lack of HD for drama, soap fans decrying the lack of HD for soaps etc etc.

The BBC could not hope to please each & every viewer.

well the simple solution would have been to give sky the host broadcasting rights... if the bbc didnt want to pay for the HD rights then ok but at leased it would have been shown in HD on sky
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nh3com wrote: »
    well the simple solution would have been to give sky the host broadcasting rights... if the bbc didnt want to pay for the HD rights then ok but at leased it would have been shown in HD on sky
    Give Sky the rights for the whole tournament, not just those for HD? If so, then the BBC would be denying the very many golf fans the opportunity to see any of that tournament in SD without having to subscribe to Sky. If you did not wish to pay for Sky (HD or otherwise), would you, as a golf fan, be happy with that?

Like it or not, the BBC should be catering for all viewers here, not just the relatively small numbers who have (and/or crave) HD. They have a large, but strictly limited budget, with a limited HD platform (something that you need to take up with the BBC Trust, for it is they who have imposed the 9hr/day and one HD channel limit, excepting some sports coverage).
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Give Sky the rights for the whole tournament, not just those for HD? If so, then the BBC would be denying the very many golf fans the opportunity to see any of that tournament in SD without having to subscribe to Sky. If you did not wish to pay for Sky (HD or otherwise), would you, as a golf fan, be happy with that?

Like it or not, the BBC should be catering for all viewers here, not just the relatively small numbers who have (and/or crave) HD. They have a large, but strictly limited budget, with a limited HD platform (something that you need to take up with the BBC Trust, for it is they who have imposed the 9hr/day and one HD channel limit, excepting some sports coverage).

I think nh3com meant that the host broadcaster should have been Sky using European Tour Productions' HD facilities.

The broadcast rights would still be the same i.e Thursday/Friday Sky, Weekend BBC.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nh3com meant that the host broadcaster should have been Sky using European Tour Productions' HD facilities.

The broadcast rights would still be the same i.e Thursday/Friday Sky, Weekend BBC.
    Ah, ok. :) That does explain it (to my befuddled mind on a Sunday morning). ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OB racks wrote: »
    SIS have 4 HD Units, and many more coming out in time for Wimbledon etc. Did you forget OB3?

They should update there website then;)
  • Options
    dellaradellara Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Peter Alliss and Ken Brown yes. The others a definite no!! Not to mention Gary Lineker!!
    You mean you don't like the dry humour of Sam Torrance or Mark James (I think he might not commentate anymore)? I think the rest are good too. They talk sense and understand the game. Even Maureen Madill (sp?) knows her stuff. If I have a criticism it is that they are trying to make Ken Brown's slots too humourous. He can be funny, but not when he tries to be.

As for Gary Lineker I agree, but fortunately he's not a commentator.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is HD so important for golf? If I had to make a list of sports where HD would be of great benefit, golf wouldn't be near the top of the list.

Yes, HD would show off the pretty courses to their full extent, but is there anything to be gained from watching the golf balls in HD?
  • Options
    klystronklystron Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All are being filmed in HD though, including the BBC's three picks. QUOTE]

Not true
    Liverpool was an HD truck working in SD
    Fulham was an HD truck working in SD
    Man City was an SD truck