Options

Do you think stories in magazines like 'Take a Break' are real?

124»

Comments

• Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mother used to buy those type of mags and then pass them on to me to look at. During that time, I read of two stories that I knew to be true.

However, I am pretty sure that some must be made up. The one that sticks out in my mind was one about a midwife who delivered a baby in the 1940's. She said that the baby had bright ginger hair and that she noticed that there was a photo in a frame of the "father" with his best friend and that the best friend looked just like the baby and also had bright ginger hair. My immediate thought was that there wouldn't have been colour photos in the 1940's, so I found that story a bit suspect.

My mother was born in 1947. She would have had an older sister, (and me an aunt) only her sister died of pneumonia when she was 3 or 4. I've seen a colour photo of my mother's sister.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    My Mother used to buy those type of mags and then pass them on to me to look at. During that time, I read of two stories that I knew to be true.

However, I am pretty sure that some must be made up. The one that sticks out in my mind was one about a midwife who delivered a baby in the 1940's. She said that the baby had bright ginger hair and that she noticed that there was a photo in a frame of the "father" with his best friend and that the best friend looked just like the baby and also had bright ginger hair. My immediate thought was that there wouldn't have been colour photos in the 1940's, so I found that story a bit suspect.

colour photography was first used around the 1890`s.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    My mother was born in 1947. She would have had an older sister, (and me an aunt) only her sister died of pneumonia when she was 3 or 4. I've seen a colour photo of my mother's sister.
    In the 50's I remember colour "portraits" that I think were B&W but "enhanced" somehow.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A colour photograph or a coloured photograph? Colour photography would have been the preserve of the rich and very enthusiastic from the 1930s or so until the end of the 1950s, but it was quite common for wedding photos and portraits to be coloured in by hand.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    A colour photograph or a coloured photograph? Colour photography would have been the preserve of the rich and very enthusiastic from the 1930s or so until the end of the 1950s, but it was quite common for wedding photos and portraits to be coloured in by hand.

I suppose the photo could have been one that was hand coloured. I have seen one of my Father aged about 10 that was hand-coloured, but it doesn't look realistic.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French filmmaker, George melliee, would often take B&W film and hand colour it....
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wondered this too. I remember reading a few years ago a story about a woman whose husband died when he was relatively young and so to cope she "slept beside him" every night since he died. Apparently she drove her car to his grave and slept there every night. The reason I remembered it was because it was a graveyard close to where I live and I always wanted to go and look one night to see if it was true.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love TaB. I have been trying to get something published in it for years. my best effort was a stool (the chair kind not a poo)covered in photos from the magazine as it was "too good to throw away". total mickey take but they said no. I do love the stool though.

Take TaB on holiday with you and take a photo of you reading it in a "daft" place or somewhere exotic. We have had 2 published- the best one was OH sat on a bench with Ronald McDonald figure where both looked like they were reading the mag.
    Only buy it when we are going away and don't eat in McD's either.:D
    Think we got £25 each.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Take TaB on holiday with you and take a photo of you reading it in a "daft" place or somewhere exotic. We have had 2 published- the best one was OH sat on a bench with Ronald McDonald figure where both looked like they were reading the mag.
    Think we got £25 each.
    Excellent idea. I'm off to Bavaria in October, I'll buy a TaB before I go. Do the other magazines pay for photos too? My travelling partner might think I've lost the plot if I fill my suitcase with trashy true life magazines though :D
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Think we got £25 each.

What a brilliant idea! I wish I had thought about it before we went to see an exhibition of children's TV programmes in Salford last week. I could have had one of me sitting reading TaB with the teletubbies around me or in the Blue Peter garden.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a brilliant idea! I wish I had thought about it before we went to see an exhibition of children's TV programmes in Salford last week. I could have had one of me sitting reading TaB with the teletubbies around me or in the Blue Peter garden.

A copy of TaB poking out of Tinky Winky's handbag would have bagged you £25 for certain!! :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Some of them are real (especially the sad ones about cancer victims and that kinda stuff :() but there seems to be a lot of rubbish in them as well. I think the likes of Chat and Real People have more rubbishy stores than TaB. I'll have a look next time I'm shopping and see what bonkers stories are in the true life mags this week :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I can never work out if these magazines turn peoples brains to soup, or if they are soup already.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of a friend had a story printed in that magazine once.

Headline on the cover was 'Pregnant By The Window Cleaner' with a nice photo of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How easy do you think it would be to pass off a fake story to one of these magazines? I'm sure I have a few tales I could grossly exaggerate...
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most are true but heavily edited
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magazines like Take A Break are my guilty pleasure and I often get one at the petrol garage after I've filled up. It's well worth 80p(ish) for the entertainment. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How easy do you think it would be to pass off a fake story to one of these magazines? I'm sure I have a few tales I could grossly exaggerate...

Depends on who you get to write it up, the one I had asked for "proof" (pictures, texts, emails) and if the story heavily involves another person they have to be contacted for a right of reply.

If you can get someone to go along with a story you could be in luck :D
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Have a relative who works at one of those magazines.

Stories are definitely real and I say this as someone who wouldn't be seen dead reading them (I'm a straight male). But nope they are definitely real, either that or my close family member is an incredible liar on many instances.