Options

Trapped and exhausted... what to do?

Comments

• Options
    lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Sorry folks, not only do I appear to have posted the wrong words, but also in the wrong place! Jeez. I really never thought that this post would cause so much offence. Did it upset you that much?

Stupid wheelie, I do appreciate you bothering to find out information. However, I have coped with this for many years and my reason for posting this thread was to vent and to express that I generally feel trapped by EVERYTHING that is happening concurrently, not necessarily one thing. That said, as you rightly point out, this is an Advice thread. The advice I would require, if any, would be advice on how to cope with with multiple stresses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try reading the title - 'Trapped and exhausted... what to do? '
    Anyway, I'm off I'm giving up on Advice for a while.

Thanks for that, but I'm perfectly capable of reading, thank you :)

Sorry, OP, for derailing the thread somewhat. I would take tenorlady's advice in the short time, go and curl up with something trashy and something tasty - a marriage made in heaven!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, but I'm perfectly capable of reading, thank you :)

Sorry, OP, for derailing the thread somewhat. I would take tenorlady's advice in the short time, go and curl up with something trashy and something tasty - a marriage made in heaven!

Lol ok, will do.

Sorry again folks, will think twice in future!

Thanks again to ALL that messaged with kindness xxx
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the sentiment is true. How would you phrase it? (No need to answer that. The deed is done.)

There are ways of saying things. There's really no need to be rude about it.

You say there's no need to answer how would I phrase it, but clearly there is, as you don't have a clue.

"Could you tell us what the abbreviations mean please OP"

There that's not difficult is it?

Best wishes to the OP. Sorry, I haven't any other advice, but there's already some good advice posted.
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lcbagwash wrote: »
    Lol ok, will do.

Sorry again folks, will think twice in future!

Thanks again to ALL that messaged with kindness xxx
    My advice was the best:) Wine, trashy novel, silly film, and perhaps a bit of fooling around under the duvet with the other half later on? It works for me;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4smiffy wrote: »
    There are ways of saying things. There's really no need to be rude about it.

You say there's no need to answer how would I phrase it, but clearly there is, as you don't have a clue.

"Could you tell us what the abbreviations mean please OP"

There that's not difficult is it?

Best wishes to the OP. Sorry, I haven't any other advice, but there's already some good advice posted.

Thanks hun :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tenorlady wrote: »
    My advice was the best:) Wine, trashy novel, silly film, and perhaps a bit of fooling around under the duvet with the other half later on? It works for me;)

Oh if I must lol ;-)
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh if I must lol ;-)
    I should be the next Marj Proops :)
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of posters getting arsey & needy in someone else's advice thread?? Seriously?

I can't quite believe that one poster had a strop because the OP used an acronym he/she didn't recognise & another had a strop because the OP didn't immediately thank him/her for his post.

Creating more hassle for an OP who clearly states she's exhausted in the thread title.

I don't know what you should do OP because I've never been in your situation with anything like the level of responsiblity you're dealing with. But when stressed I try to detach inwardly & try & trust that what will be will be & accept that one can't fix everyone & everything.

Making sure your partner understands that you are are the limit of what you can cope with is really important too.

Anyway, good luck x
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I need to vent I think. I am having such a stressful time at the moment.

I am worried about my son and my ability to cope with him. He has CDD and is struggling at the moment. I also have ongoing problems with my Dad, which I have posted about before, he is kind of up at the moment but been on suicide watch in recent weeks. my gran is also really ill and frail :-(

Added to that, my partner has a little boy and he is staying with us for 6 days of the week and he is really disrupting my family. I have spoken to both of them about this but it always seems to end in an argument, I cant be bothered with arguing. I just feel that the work that I put into this family isnt appreciated and sometimes I want to run away. Rant over! :-(

Your partner's little boy is living in your home for six days of the week so rather than disrupting your family, he is part of your family isn't he? If he's disruptive is it because he doesn't feel like he is part of the family? Can't be easy if his mum doesn't want him, he's packed off to live with dad, his girlfriend and her 3 kids and he senses that all he is, is a 'disruption' to your family?
  • Options
    KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an unsympathetic horrible person you must be. So instead of accepting that lecturing someone on their language when they are clearly low is not a nice thing to do, you actually trawl through my threads to find fault!!! You didnt 'notice' this at all, you went searching for another post of mine to somehow PROVE that you are right. You be shallow and very insecure. You may also rest assured that you can offer me no advice that I would care to listen to.

I am sorry but the poster has a point what does "the SenCo" mean?
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaylan wrote: »
    I am sorry but the poster has a point what does "the SenCo" mean?

Ooh ooh I know (because my daughter had one at Primary) Special educational needs co ordinator.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    A couple of posters getting arsey & needy in someone else's advice thread?? Seriously?

I can't quite believe that one poster had a strop because the OP used an acronym he/she didn't recognise & another had a strop because the OP didn't immediately thank him/her for his post.

Creating more hassle for an OP who clearly states she's exhausted in the thread title.

I don't know what you should do OP because I've never been in your situation with anything like the level of responsiblity you're dealing with. But when stressed I try to detach inwardly & try & trust that what will be will be & accept that one can't fix everyone & everything.

Making sure your partner understands that you are are the limit of what you can cope with is really important too.

Anyway, good luck x

If that's aimed at me, I didn't want thanks I just don't want to waste my time looking for help for some one asking what to do? Who then gets narky and says they didn't really want advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your partner's little boy is living in your home for six days of the week so rather than disrupting your family, he is part of your family isn't he? If he's disruptive is it because he doesn't feel like he is part of the family? Can't be easy if his mum doesn't want him, he's packed off to live with dad, his girlfriend and her 3 kids and he senses that all he is, is a 'disruption' to your family?
    No he isn't disruptive in that way. He steals and hits and lies and has done this from the days when we only saw him once a week. I do have a great relationship with him and we are very close but i do have to put my children first and his own mother does need to step up to the mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »

Anyway, good luck x

Thank you. Lovely post :-)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he isn't disruptive in that way. He steals and hits and lies and has done this from the days when we only saw him once a week. I do have a great relationship with him and we are very close but i do have to put my children first and his own mother does need to step up to the mark

Just wondering if he picks up on this. Does he feel like he is second best to your biological kids ?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Um cultureman, I wasnt trying to do myself any favours. I actually came on here for support. Complex Developmental Disorder. In his case it is Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia combined.

i

hey- my son has the same three diagnosis- well almost he's autistic ADHD and dyspraxia
  • Options
    carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't help feeling stressed, it's an honest emotion. Discussing it is good and doesn't make you a bad parent, in fact the opposite IMO.

I put a post on here a few weeks ago about feeling overwhelmed with my children, doesn't mean I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth for them, I just needed an anonymous rant!

Listen to the kind posters and don't let the pathetic ones make you even more stressed :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    couple of thoughts - is your son in SEN school or mainstream?
    does he see CAMHS?
    do you get any support, either from a NAS support group or for example where I live there is a drop in session weekly for parents of SEN kids needed just to chat and share

your partners son, if hes having problems is he seeing CAMHS or can he be referred? would family therapy be an option

also - do you and your partner get any time alone to just be a couple?

(for the people who hate abreviations-
    SEN - special educational needs
    NAS - national autism society
    CAMHS - children and adolescent mental health services)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Um cultureman, I wasnt trying to do myself any favours. I actually came on here for support. Complex Developmental Disorder. In his case it is Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia combined.

It isnt my partner who is disrupting the family it is his son, sorry if that wasnt clear. He is with us because his mother has decided that she has better things to do. I already have three children.

Martin, actually I have been fighting for a diagnosis for about 6 years. My son is nearly 13. Lovely, funny and kind but has some issues.

Children need stability. Usually when kids cause problems, they are having difficulty fitting in and as if they were an outsider.

Dyspraxia and other developmental difficulties can also make a person feel that they too are outsiders and that they are different.

Patience is the key. The older your son gets, hopefully, he will get used to his body and how to control it better.

Puberty may well be difficult for him and that will need a lot of help and advice as it can well be scary and puberty isn't often discussed or spoken about. I would hate for a child to have to go through puberty alone especially with developmental issues.

My Mum used to shout at me and so did school teachers. At the time dyspraxia wasn't known fully and I was simply labelled "clumsy". These days there is a lot of advice and help for parents and children living with dyspraxia especially written by people who had trouble with it while growing up.

These days I can do most things if not all things if I put my mind to it and concentrate. It does get better,although my mother still worries as I still find certain new situations difficult to cope with but once I have encountered an issue, I can have a point of reference to think back to.

Children need to be aware of this when they are little. It makes life a lot easier.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

The poor child feels out of place and unloved.

Ideally he needs help with relationships and emotional attachments.

He obviously isn't coping very well with the upheavals and changes in his life and the more his issues are not properly sorted out as early as possible, he is going to see it as normal behaviour and enter into adulthood as a very angry and aggressive young man.

If his own mother does sod all for him, ideally, it is up to you and his father to get to the root of the trouble quickly with family counselling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Just wondering if he picks up on this. Does he feel like he is second best to your biological kids ?

I honestly don't know. I hope not. He sees me more than both his parents at the moment and we are very close. Its not down to me to sort this tho, i guess i am wanting my partner to step up to the mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    hey- my son has the same three diagnosis- well almost he's autistic ADHD and dyspraxia

Really? I would love to talk to other parents of children with this. There isn't much help available to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    caras wrote: »
    You can't help feeling stressed, it's an honest emotion. Discussing it is good and doesn't make you a bad parent, in fact the opposite IMO.

I put a post on here a few weeks ago about feeling overwhelmed with my children, doesn't mean I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth for them, I just needed an anonymous rant!

Listen to the kind posters and don't let the pathetic ones make you even more stressed :)
    This :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Children need stability. Usually when kids cause problems, they are having difficulty fitting in and as if they were an outsider.

Dyspraxia and other developmental difficulties can also make a person feel that they too are outsiders and that they are different.

Patience is the key. The older your son gets, hopefully, he will get used to his body and how to control it better.

Puberty may well be difficult for him and that will need a lot of help and advice as it can well be scary and puberty isn't often discussed or spoken about. I would hate for a child to have to go through puberty alone especially with developmental issues.

My Mum used to shout at me and so did school teachers. At the time dyspraxia wasn't known fully and I was simply labelled "clumsy". These days there is a lot of advice and help for parents and children living with dyspraxia especially written by people who had trouble with it while growing up.

These days I can do most things if not all things if I put my mind to it and concentrate. It does get better,although my mother still worries as I still find certain new situations difficult to cope with but once I have encountered an issue, I can have a point of reference to think back to.

Children need to be aware of this when they are little. It makes life a lot easier.

hi Stud. this is a really interesting post, as mentioned my son has dyspraxia as well as autism and ADHD - I have found even his teachers have very very little knowledge of it - he obviously has problems like the other kids wont let him play football at break with them, he veers towards people when walking all the time, constantly steps on toes - all things which help to target him for bullies. I tried kung fu for him to help spacial awareness which helped a little.

although I have found books for him aimed at his age group (10) on ADHD and autism, never managed to find one on dyspraxia....

sorry OP, for the small hijack