Whats happened to selection boxes?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
I remember as a child getting a selection box, and it was a box full of full size bars and sweets, I can remember in the 80's getting a big stocking shaped selection box and in it Mars, Marathon, Aero, Maltesers, Revels and some other bar possibly Yorkie, and they were all big bars, I am just going through my kids selection boxes to get rid of the rubbish and they really are a poor effort.

Full of little 10p type bars such as Chomp and Fudge,Freddo etc and any of the more expensive bars such as Mars are cut down to snack size. Poor effort all around.

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happening to all food - everything is getting smaller but the prices are being raised all the time. It's outrageous, but it's down to supply and demand I guess - and the health freaks of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I remember as a child getting a selection box, and it was a box full of full size bars and sweets, I can remember in the 80's getting a big stocking shaped selection box and in it Mars, Marathon, Aero, Maltesers, Revels and some other bar possibly Yorkie, and they were all big bars, I am just going through my kids selection boxes to get rid of the rubbish and they really are a poor effort.

Full of little 10p type bars such as Chomp and Fudge,Freddo etc and any of the more expensive bars such as Mars are cut down to snack size. Poor effort all around.

Glad I didn't buy them now. Bloody hell, they aren't cheap either.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I've just looked at my daughter's selection box and most of it is standard size. Three bars are duplicated with snack sized ones, but everything else is standard.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they were knocking out the small selection boxes on offers like 'buy one get two free' for £1.99 of course they are full of the small stuff padded out.

The large selection boxes that weren't on these offers contain full size stuff and probably work out at the same price per kg

Some people are easily fooled by what they see as a bargain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its because people generally won't pay circa £5 for a selection box which is what it would cost to put say 8 full size chocolate bars in. The smaller selection boxes generally retail for for about £2 and usually the supermarkets sell them 3 for 2.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like Easter eggs, isn't it? You're paying for the presentation more than the chocolate. As long as the kids like them. I used to get sick of the sight of Mars bars and Marathons as a kid at Christmas!
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, and Wagon Wheels were bigger, fireworks lasted longer and Christmas telly was better. Why is it that everything was better when we were kids? :confused:

;-)
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco were selling 'make your own selection boxes' ie flat pack boxes that you assemble and fill with your own choice of sweets and chocolate bars.
    A much better option, IMO. I've never really bothered with selection boxes, because they invariably contain at least one bar that no one likes. Same thing with roses, quality street,etc.
    As regards the sizes, of course they get a little bit smaller. It's either that, or the price increases. It's called inflation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are you buying your kids such woefully inadequate gifts? Hopefully you will make more of an effort next year before they form psychologically scarring memories. Do they have support from Social Services?

Work harder. Spend more.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi and Lidl are excellent sources for equivalents of the well-known choccy bars etc, but I don't know if they do selection packs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I've just looked at my daughter's selection box and most of it is standard size. Three bars are duplicated with snack sized ones, but everything else is standard.

You didn't "just look" at it at all did you? You scoffed it when she was asleep didn't you?

You are all going to hell for neglecting your childrens!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl are excellent sources for equivalents of the well-known choccy bars etc, but I don't know if they do selection packs.

Nothing says I love you, quite like a Wokia phone
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a Fudge than a Mars.
    Forum Member
    You didn't "just look" at it at all did you? You scoffed it when she was asleep didn't you?

As if!!!!!!!!! I left her the toffee type ones. I'm not a total witch.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stockings with chocolate dont exist anymore do they? I looked for some for next doorskids but ccouldn't find any any where. They had to make do wirh Thorntons Snowman selection boxes,
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unless she is on a post Christmas diet. Then you're restricted to a lot of stroking and sniffing the choccy bars.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    The stockings with chocolate dont exist anymore do they? I looked for some for next doorskids but ccouldn't find any any where. They had to make do wirh Thorntons Snowman selection boxes,

Oh dear God. I hope they didn't die. They are bound to be highly embarassed when they go back to school though.

"My next door neighbour only got me Thornton's chocolates. :blush: "
    Forum Member
    Oh dear God. I hope they didn't die. They are bound to be highly embarassed when they go back to school though.

Could be worse, they could have got a tea towel as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now they were a bargain £2 each and 3 for 2

I bought 6 (although only 2 got wrapped :blush:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Unless she is on a post Christmas diet. Then you're restricted to a lot of stroking and sniffing the choccy bars.:(

LOL. What a wonderful image of YOU! :D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relax - next week the shops will be full of Easter eggs and chocolate rabbits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Could be worse, they could have got a tea towel as well!
    I'd wring your ruddy neck with a teatowel but thank you, now I get the connection with Fudge.

Pray tell, what became of the other 4? Birds ate them? Robin bastards! :p
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They were in the 3 for 2...I know a bargain!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pray tell, what became of the other 4? Birds ate them? Robin bastards! :p

I've been sucking snowmen on sticks

that's all I have to say on the subject
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boss gave each of us a selection box to take home for the kids. The 2 blokes I share an office with both went 'well that's lunch sorted' and scoffed the lot in about 20 minutes