The Walking Dead Season 4 [US Pace]

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hadn't Rick just seen a guy getting choked in a fight over a bed?

He was only choked because he didn't obey the group rules (he didn't let the rest of the group know he had claimed the bed). ;-)

Anyway he survived as he's the only one who can identify Rick once they catch up to him.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    He was only choked because he didn't obey the group rules (he didn't let the rest of the group know he had claimed the bed). ;-)

Anyway he survived as he's the only one who can identify Rick once they catch up to him.

Ahh indeed we now know it was just the rules, but Rick wasn't to know that, I think with his kid coming back to the house he had every right to be trepidatious on what he saw.

I do feel a bit sorry for the bloke on the bog, but these are people that brutally execute people for minor infractions, I'm not sure you can say they're on the side of the angels.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about the US trailer, but the UK one shows nothing of Terminus. Literally nothing, so I'm guessing they didn't want to spoil anything of it, so there's definitely "something" shocking/twisty coming which would be spoiled by any amount of scenes previewing Terminus. It also shows Rick ready to have full breakdown looking sad/pissed/getting ready to rage as hell, which looks like before he gets to Terminus, which to be honest can only mean one thing; Daryl, Carl or Michonne is about to bite it.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    ONe question...have we had any more helicopter sightings this season? Am trying to remember and can't remember one - unless it appeared in the first half of the season last year?

I can't remember if there have been any clues as to whether the ZA is contained in the USA. I guess it could be a bit like 28 Days Later where the UK was quarantined.

Also I thought this was quite interesting, but it might be a bit spoilery for some,

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/03/the_walking_dead_season_4_fina.html
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I can't remember if there have been any clues as to whether the ZA is contained in the USA. I guess it could be a bit like 28 Days Later where the UK was quarantined.

It's Worldwide, the Scientist at the CDC said that after the outbreak he was in contact with others including the French who supposedly were close to a cure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Worldwide, the Scientist at the CDC said that after the outbreak he was in contact with others including the French who supposedly were close to a cure.

Indeed, Kirkman said in an interview it was
    the only thing he objected to in the TV series compared to the comics, in the comics they've had no contact from outside 'murica
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also shows Rick ready to have full breakdown looking sad/pissed/getting ready to rage as hell, which looks like before he gets to Terminus, which to be honest can only mean one thing; Daryl, Carl or Michonne is about to bite it.

Or the toilet was occupied, heck he killed a guy last time that happened.

But I suspect Daryl's new pack are gonna catch up with him and call him on that murder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    This hasn't been my favourite season but I cannot wait for the finale. I just hope they don't f#*k it up.
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    I think you're misunderstanding how the budgeting works and seem to be extrapolating comments made in the past for the situation now.

The Prison was committed to after one episode of Season 2 when the series was greenlit for Season 3 and therefore the budget had to be set based on the ratings at that time and outline stories would be agreed in order to set the budget.. Season 1 got around 5m average (I'd assume about a 2.4 on the demographic). Excellent for basic cable but still restrained on costs.

That's when htey start budgeting and planning their next season, 16 episodes and what it will cost. And I wouldn't be surprised that a set like that would demand the whole season and some of the next based on this.

Now the ratings are just ridiculous 13m+ and a 6.8 on the demographic. Most cable shows are a smash hit if they beat a 2.0 on the demographic. this show is so far beyond that its ridiculous. It means that whatever budget the writers decide is appropriate they can have.

But you don't need huge budgets to make successful shows and carry The Walking Dead. The Grove demonstrates that tiny budgets can create moments that will be long remembered, it even got its own fanboi phrase that we will be sick of in a few years time.

If you're not enjoying the show, that's a pity, but its the most popular scripted drama in the World right now, so someone likes is.

I'm not misunderstanding how budgets work. I've read exhaustively about TWD and its problems with AMC, and the demise first of Darabont then Mazzarra. Fact is, Darabont was expected to make double the episodes on the same budget, and the tax breaks from filming in Georgia went to AMC rather than the show itself. AMC also decided 50% should be shot indoors and 'did we have to SEE zombies, couldn't we just hear them?' You talk about ratings but when Darabont tried to use the show's popularity to defend the budget he was told "ratings have no bearing on this conversation".

The budget combined with network interference and Kirkman's influence is widely accepted to be the reason why the show is patchy. Google it for countless stories of AMC execs trying to control shows. 2.8m per episode versus the almost-as-much 3m that Breaking Bad cost but there's no comparison in terms of quality. They're on a different level; they look and feel like they were made on different budgets. AMC are new to producing TV, so is Kirkman, and it shows.

Yes the show is popular but I read the weekly reviews and comments around the web. Most agree that the show COULD be prestige TV but falls frustratingly short due to lazy writing and poor characterisation (eg characters do unrealistic things just to serve the plot, like Tyrese and Carol leaving the kids alone. As. If. Or signposting Mika's death so overtly by using the same quote about her as Sophia, "she doesn't have a mean bone in her body". The show lets itself down when it underestimates the intelligence of viewers, and The Grove was a 4 star not 5 star episode because of it. For 5 star TV see Breaking Bad's 'Ozymandias' or Game of Thrones Red wedding episode). That's why it attracts so much comment, the potential. It's a GOOD show but it's not consistently enough a GREAT show.
    Matt D wrote: »
    Scott M. Gimple. Are you confusing him with Vince Gilligan? ;)

Gimple is TWD's third showrunner, after Darabont and Mazzara. They don't seem to last long...

Sorry, I was thinking of Gilligan when I wrote about Gimple. Gilligan survived AMC's attempted interference because AMC didn't make Breaking Bad, ditto Matt Weiner and Mad Men. Both had studios to back them in their notorious fights with AMC.

The show runners don't last long because AMC won't leave them alone. Mazzarra has said he got 100s of notes on what to do each week and was overwhelmed with trying to keep everyone happy. His friend, the Sons of Anarchy show runner, has flat out said Mazzarra's firing was due to Kirkman having too much influence as well as Mad Men's fight with AMC blowing the budget.

Darabont is still in dispute with AMC, suing them on the grounds they fired him to deny him the profits he was about to be due. The cast were very unhappy with what happened to him but are too afraid to say it publicly until they're killed off (eg Sarah Wayne Callies/Lori).

If Gimple does what he's told, he'll be OK. He's already managed to stretch about 2 episodes of actual story into 6 enjoyable filler episodes this season so I imagine he's safe for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has Sarah Wayne Callies said about Darabont and TWD?

I think we all know about Darabont's problems with TWD, yet as I've said I prefer the show how it is, then how it was in the first season, he helped create the look though, and I'm thankful to him for that. Yet I always believe Kirkman is the main man on this show.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1: where do you get the meat... cattle or other means.... we've seen in TWD what happens to livestock... they make noise and they get eaten by walkers...
    I imagine some would escape and survive in the wild, and the survivors would breed. (There's probably a whole other Walking Dead going on, with communities of livestock. Or maybe I've got too distracted by Goat Simulator.) We saw that a deer had survived. Most animals can run fast enough to escape from zombies. It's not like zombies are good trackers. Once the animal is out of sight and hearing, what's the zombie going to do?

Even in a field they'd be safe from zombies, because any field able to keep animals in would also keep zombies out. The problem with fields is getting enough food.
    2: where do you get the feed to keep the cattle/pigs alive for this long?
    You don't have to feed wild animals; they'll forage for themselves. Also, the meat doesn't have to be beef or pork. They could be eating goats; goats will eat anything. Or dogs or venison or pigeons or horses or rabbits.

I can imagine if a zombie chased a bunny down a hole, it might wait indefinitely for the rabbit to come out again. And I hope that's a scene we get one day. However, rabbits often have more than one exit from their warren. They're not stupid. And the show has shown us rabbits survived.
    how long has it been since the outbreak in TWD... idk how long, but it has to have been years right?
    I think it's around 18 months, perhaps 2 years. The show is vague, but we had a couple of months until Rick met up with Lori, then 9 months until her baby was born, and then about 6 months between season 3 and season 4. The outbreak seemed to happen in warmish weather. We skipped a winter while Lori was pregnant. I don't think we skipped another one, so one must be about due.
    so where the hell are these people growing the hay and other nutrients to feed these cattle/pigs?
    Wouldn't it just continue to grow when it wasn't harvested? And go to seed, and grow again next year? There'd be weeds in it, but it doesn't need to be perfect. The hard part is having the man-power and foresight to collect enough to get through winter. The storage facility doesn't need to be obvious.
    people might try and use the pigs from the prison, that is one of two things: a) a flaw in the writing, as i don't think they explained where they got those pigs(ergo, they couldn't think of a probable reason for them being alive still) or b) maybe they took them from where the Governor used to reside.
    I figured they probably caught pigs that had gone wild. Pigs do survive in the wild; they did before humans came along and they probably will after we've gone.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm laying my bet on Glenn or Rick dying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick won't die.

I am hoping Beth dies. At the moment, she stands out as a major weak link in the series. She's a bloody awful actress.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I am hoping Beth dies. At the moment, she stands out as a major weak link in the series. She's a bloody awful actress.
    I hope not, she is a good actress and an even better singer song writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTV4H1s0NL4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm #TeamBeth too.

I don't want anyone to of the cast-regulars to die though, so I guess I'll be disappointed whatever:cry:
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be Maggie that dies. I think that her burning the photo foreshadowed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm #TeamBeth too.

I don't want anyone to of the cast-regulars to die though, so I guess I'll be disappointed whatever:cry:

Emily was on the US show 'The Couch' and they said that she was getting lots of support on the internet. So hopefully she'll be OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emily was on the US show 'The Couch' and they said that she was getting lots of support on the internet. So hopefully she'll be OK.

Oh, well if she is getting support off the internet, I guess she will be fine.
    Out of a cast that boasts some high quality actors, she stands out as a weak link by a mile. And given that 'Still' received quite a hammering by critics, I'd say she won't be leading many episodes of her own again any time soon.

Hopefully Maggie won't die. She's got so much about her. Actress is good too.
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    I think it will be Maggie that dies. I think that her burning the photo foreshadowed it.

i actually thought of this aswell when I was watching the episode, Maggie just isn't a strong enough character as in the comics, personally i think beth will be the food everyone will eat and we'll see in flashbacks whats happen
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wager on Maggie as well after the storyline of them both finding each other again, one of them being killed off wouldn't surprise me at all.

Like what? Genuinely curious. They've reduced her character to completely revolving around Glenn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, well if she is getting support off the internet, I guess she will be fine.
    Out of a cast that boasts some high quality actors, she stands out as a weak link by a mile. And given that 'Still' received quite a hammering by critics, I'd say she won't be leading many episodes of her own again any time soon.

Maggie is terrible so I hope she dies. Easily the weakest link of the main set of characters.

Beth is brilliant.. great actress...huge potential. Can't see her dying tbh.
    Its gonna be Maggie or Glenn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glenn should be the one that goes if anyone.

All he has done is mope about Maggie all the time. Worse than Julia Graham shouting 'Peter' all the time, or Kiefer Sutherland shouting 'Jake'.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I imagine some would escape and survive in the wild, and the survivors would breed. (There's probably a whole other Walking Dead going on, with communities of livestock. Or maybe I've got too distracted by Goat Simulator.) We saw that a deer had survived. Most animals can run fast enough to escape from zombies. It's not like zombies are good trackers. Once the animal is out of sight and hearing, what's the zombie going to do?

Even in a field they'd be safe from zombies, because any field able to keep animals in would also keep zombies out. The problem with fields is getting enough food.

You don't have to feed wild animals; they'll forage for themselves. Also, the meat doesn't have to be beef or pork. They could be eating goats; goats will eat anything. Or dogs or venison or pigeons or horses or rabbits.

I can imagine if a zombie chased a bunny down a hole, it might wait indefinitely for the rabbit to come out again. And I hope that's a scene we get one day. However, rabbits often have more than one exit from their warren. They're not stupid. And the show has shown us rabbits survived.

I think it's around 18 months, perhaps 2 years. The show is vague, but we had a couple of months until Rick met up with Lori, then 9 months until her baby was born, and then about 6 months between season 3 and season 4. The outbreak seemed to happen in warmish weather. We skipped a winter while Lori was pregnant. I don't think we skipped another one, so one must be about due.

Wouldn't it just continue to grow when it wasn't harvested? And go to seed, and grow again next year? There'd be weeds in it, but it doesn't need to be perfect. The hard part is having the man-power and foresight to collect enough to get through winter. The storage facility doesn't need to be obvious.

I figured they probably caught pigs that had gone wild. Pigs do survive in the wild; they did before humans came along and they probably will after we've gone.

I'm sure they're in deer country. Deer are fast, can easily outrun walkers (especially old manky ones left in the woods for 2 years) and adult ones could easilytopple/knock overa couple of walkers at a time.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I'd forgotten that :) I wonder if the French did find a cure then? Interesting.