Options

Almost a 50% lower audience than last year's final - no wonder the show is dead!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
Forum Member
✭✭
The average audience for last night was 2.8m (with a peak of 3.2m when some tuned in just to see who won) according to the DS News story, which is hardly likely to be wrong. This compares to an average of 4.7 for BB9, and 5.3 for BB8.

A steady decline then, but with an abrupt drop this year.

I wonder if BB now regret letting the block vote remove the characters?

It wasn't much of a mixture in the final was it? Siavash had been a character, but by the time he trudged into the final week he seemed all washed out, bordering on depressing. David was a whooping, one-dimensional stereotype, and the other three were still basically kids, and fairly similar kids at that.

Obviously people who supported one of the five would retain an avid interest in developments, but for anyone without a genuine favourite, it must have been quite limited in scope.

To have the most important show of the series 50% down on the previous year is a shocking result and it won't help them attract any new broadcasters.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The figs were down throughout the show, not just the final. The public have tired of the programme, the format and the genre.

People didn't turn off mid-series because they found the characters boring. They didn't turn on in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not hopeful of another channel rushing to take over from C4 when they can see the figures plummeting like that.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may have been low, but at least it's been pretty much consistant.

For the lowest ratest series, after actually evaluating it; I have to say BB10 has been my favourite series, the first to top BB5 for me. :)

I think a lot of people on this forum would be agreeing with me if they had the live feed to maximise their enjoyment.
  • Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the "heroes" and "villains" were gone leaving the supporting cast. Not many people are interested in that.
  • Options
    cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think that low viewing figures are a lot to do with lack of live feed, the uniqueness of Big Brother has always been that you can dip in and out of it pretty much whenever you like, waiting until after midnight to see them all getting ready for bed is not Big Brother! the live feed of previous years has meant buzzes around the forums when something happened which in turn encouraged people to watch the highlights even if it was just to see how events were manipulated or distorted, that has been greatly missed this year.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admit to not bothering to watch all of it last night. As soon as I was assured Charlie would not win (which would have been a travesty in my view), I switched over as I didn't really care who did win, they were all very lacklustre.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on for too long. Why drag it out till early September? It got interminable 6 weeks ago!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmercer wrote: »
    The average audience for last night was 2.8m (with a peak of 3.2m when some tuned in just to see who won) according to the DS News story, which is hardly likely to be wrong. This compares to an average of 4.7 for BB9, and 5.3 for BB8.

A steady decline then, but with an abrupt drop this year.

I wonder if BB now regret letting the block vote remove the characters?

It wasn't much of a mixture in the final was it? Siavash had been a character, but by the time he trudged into the final week he seemed all washed out, bordering on depressing. David was a whooping, one-dimensional stereotype, and the other three were still basically kids, and fairly similar kids at that.

Obviously people who supported one of the five would retain an avid interest in developments, but for anyone without a genuine favourite, it must have been quite limited in scope.

To have the most important show of the series 50% down on the previous year is a shocking result and it won't help them attract any new broadcasters.

There are loads of other digital channels that would be cock-a-hoop with those kind of viewing figures as opposed to the handful of umemployed people, insomniacs, housewives and alcoholics they get now.
  • Options
    cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB is not dead yet, there were 3 main problems with this years BB.

The first was the dire launch show it just seemed flat, the crowd was flat and so was i watching, the opening twist was terrible and there was no real surprises for the rest of the show, i thought BB picked up once the new h/m went in but by then it was too late.

The second problem was almost half the h/m were not from Britain, i didn't have a problem with this (i was a big Angle fan) but i speak to alot of people at work about BB and it was a big turn-off for them, i was getting comments like "world BB" "UN BB" "i can't understand a word s/he says" and i got alot worse than that.

Finally the last problem was no live feed, the live feed feeds the show i watch live feed go to work and discuss, encouraging the none live feed watchers to watch h/l.
    I am still hopeful that someone will pick BB up but if next years figures are lower i can't see it happening

On the rating issue i have never understood how they are measured anyway how do they know what i am watching i don't have one of those box things just like most people. Also ratings are falling for every program except X factor last years jungle was the lowest ever, Emmerdale has halfed it's figures in 2 years, Eastenders and Corrie have lost millions Corrie would bring in 15 million for every episode 10 years ago now it's 8 million if it's lucky, but these programs are not considered 'dead' when their ratings are falling just as much.

One thing endemol could do to improve things next year tell C4 it's a 10 week series and that you are not doing CBB (your contract is lost anyway let C4 sue if they want) any longer than 10 weeks is too long and put the live feed on the internet yourselves even charge a few quid a week i would pay.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    cloudy wrote: »

The first was the dire launch show it just seemed flat, the crowd was flat and so was i watching, the opening twist was terrible and there was no real surprises for the rest of the show, i thought BB picked up once the new h/m went in but by then it was too late.

The second problem was almost half the h/m were not from Britain, i didn't have a problem with this (i was a big Angle fan) but i speak to alot of people at work about BB and it was a big turn-off for them, i was getting comments like "world BB" "UN BB" "i can't understand a word s/he says" and i got alot worse than that.

Finally the last problem was no live feed, the live feed feeds the show i watch live feed go to work and discuss, encouraging the none live feed watchers to watch h/l.
    I am still hopeful that someone will pick BB up but if next years figures are lower i can't see it happening

On the rating issue i have never understood how they are measured anyway how do they know what i am watching i don't have one of those box things just like most people. Also ratings are falling for every program except X factor last years jungle was the lowest ever, Emmerdale has halfed it's figures in 2 years, Eastenders and Corrie have lost millions Corrie would bring in 15 million for every episode 10 years ago now it's 8 million if it's lucky, but these programs are not considered 'dead' when their ratings are falling just as much.

One thing endemol could do to improve things next year tell C4 it's a 10 week series and that you are not doing CBB (your contract is lost anyway let C4 sue if they want) any longer than 10 weeks is too long and put the live feed on the internet yourselves even charge a few quid a week i would pay.

I think you could be right about the opening twist. I was at the hairdresser yesterday & people started talking about X Factor v BB. A lot of people had watched the BB launch but found the twist a turn off - not just the fact there was a twist but because of the stupid things they had to do....drawing glasses on etc....and didn't bother to watch any more.
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible show.:o
    Terrible winner.:eek:
    Terrible viewing figures.:D
    i want my Summer back
    ..suck on it Endemol.:mad:
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful for the final. I was expecting atleast 3.5m, with a 4m peak.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thread title makes no sense. Surely the 50% drop in audience figures is a symptom of the show being "dead", not the cause. It's like saying "this person has rigor mortis - no wonder he's dead!"
    melaniem wrote: »
    The figs were down throughout the show, not just the final. The public have tired of the programme, the format and the genre.

People didn't turn off mid-series because they found the characters boring. They didn't turn on in the first place.

Actually, that's not true. 5m watched the launch night. Plenty of people did turn it on in the first place. It's what they saw when the turned on that made them not turn on again.

The problem isn't the format or viewer fatigue, otherwise the launch night wouldn't have got the high ratings it did.
  • Options
    godlivesgodlives Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member

i agree with alot of your points for me it was the lack of livefeed i quite often never watched the highlights i just switched on whenever i wanted i think they messed around with rules too much aswell the magazines the letting them talk about nominations etc

anyways if anyone is interested in bringing livefeed back for next year please sign this petition
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/livefeedforbb11/index.html
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since BB3, there's been a large fall in audience size from each odd-numbered year to the next even-numbered year.

And the audience size for odd-numbered BBs has been steadily falling.

We've just seen this year's instance of those two trends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    melaniem wrote: »

Very true. People were hardly likely ONLY to watch the final - ooh, I wonder which of those people, none of which I have ever heard of, will win? For BB to attract huge ratings these days it needs a major race row and effigies being burned in the streets, or so it seems.
  • Options
    CHARMER1CHARMER1 Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    problem is viewers down means voting will be down and thats where they get alot of revenue.

I personally think this was one of the worst finals and nobody really cared who one, Sophie won it on default and I think BB will be lucky to even get it on for the final year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    The thread title makes no sense. Surely the 50% drop in audience figures is a symptom of the show being "dead", not the cause. It's like saying "this person has rigor mortis - no wonder he's dead!"

Actually, that's not true. 5m watched the launch night. Plenty of people did turn it on in the first place. It's what they saw when the turned on that made them not turn on again.

The problem isn't the format or viewer fatigue, otherwise the launch night wouldn't have got the high ratings it did.

Yes, granted - the opening night did get high figs but that was the only show. There was no steady decline after that. Maybe the poster above who suggested people were put off by that one show is right.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything in this life has a shelf life, and BB is no different. It's been long overdue the axe.

Seriously; who really gives a damn about nobodies?
  • Options
    cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyways if anyone is interested in bringing livefeed back for next year please sign this petition
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/livefeedforbb11/index.html[/QUOTE]

signed last night
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no tabloid expert :rolleyes: but The Sun didn't give BB10 anywhere near the coverage it has given less superior previous series. This may have contributed to poor ratings.

This was the best BB in years - and it didn't take any scandals, sex stories or fights to make it must see viewing. For once BB was innovative (David&Lisa as Aliens, Isaac's arrival, The Queen etc) and there were more laughs from me and the missus than in most of the previous series.

It just goes to show, you gotta give things a chance no matter how bad previous versions have been, unfortunately BB had too many years of "same old, same old" as a precursor to this which meant people had given up on it prior to the launch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    No wonder Sophie won with a large percentage.

I understand it, now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trollface wrote: »

I didn't mean as in 'no wonder the show has got so crap this series was dismal and predictable', I mean as an ongoing concern. It would be nice if someone was to go for a bias-free version, but no-one will want something so expensive which has fallen so badly at the final hurdle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/livefeedforbb11/index.html

got my signature, although alas i doubt they will even open it to read it!
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CHARMER1 wrote: »
    problem is viewers down means voting will be down and thats where they get alot of revenue.

Not true. The voting hasn't brought in a profit for a few years now.
    mickmercer wrote: »
    I didn't mean as in 'no wonder the show has got so crap this series was dismal and predictable', I mean as an ongoing concern.

What I said still stands.