Options

Song choices for MT week?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
Forum Member
So finally we have a musical theatre week, but what songs do you think they will be singing and what songs will be suited to each of the girls?

Someone in Sophie's thread mentioned Popular and I think that would be a great choice for her but not sure about the others.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,960
    Forum Member
    Yes! A good week finally!
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Well Jess has had her dream song this week...... if only she'd been able to do Cabaret next week.....

Bet we'll get "As long as he needs me" from one of them next week....

Bet "Defying Gravity" won't be featured though....
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if some poor sod will get 'Luck Be A Lady' like Jodie did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,960
    Forum Member
    Oh please, not ALAHNM there will be too many comparisons.
  • Options
    KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Whoever they want out next week- Jenny I assume- will get Footloose like Aoife got in HDYSAP. Lots of dancing, hard to sing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever they want out next week- Jenny I assume- will get Footloose like Aoife got in HDYSAP. Lots of dancing, hard to sing...

Is that an MT song?

Don't get me wrong I expect Jenny to get a horrible song choice.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww god yeh. MT week. Finaly.

no more bloody awful pop songs.
  • Options
    bunnykinbunnykin Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek:
  • Options
    KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    jill1812 wrote: »
    Is that an MT song?

I think its a 'musical' film and hasn't there been a theatre production of it? So I think so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that an MT song?

I think its a 'musical' film and hasn't there been a theatre production of it? So I think so...

On the plus side, Jenny did well moving around and singing when she sang the Pink number in the first(?) studio show, so if she gets Footloose she might do OK.

Not sure how Sophie would do with it.
  • Options
    darnelledarnelle Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    give them some sondheim that will sort it
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    darnelle wrote: »
    give them some sondheim that will sort it

Cruel - I can imagine Send in the Clowns now - suicide inducing version, clown version, meaningless version, pop version......

Then whatever they did we would have the judges comments about going further with the lyrics and pushing it more, and adding more shade.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruel - I can imagine Send in the Clowns now - suicide inducing version, clown version, meaningless version, pop version......

Then whatever they did we would have the judges commenst about going further with the lyrics and pushing it more andcomments and adding more shade.........

... and more colours.
    Don't forget the colours.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes and Aoife can dance whilst they claim Jenny can't dance well (difficult to tell though as they always stick her in the backrow or behind a tall male dancer 90% of the time)

Aoife also got that never walk alone abomination from Carousel - always climbing never going anywhere interesting. Fine for auditioning the mother Abbess but another IED for Aoife.

Fooloose at least works for Aoife after the show though - the overhead lift was straight out of Chicago and she was Roxie weeks later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and Aoife can dance whilst they claim Jenny can't dance well (difficult to tell though as they always stick her in the backrow or behind a tall male dancer 90% of the time)

Aoife also got that never walk alone abomination from Carousel - always climbing never going anywhere interesting. Fine for auditioning the mother Abbess but another IED for Aoife.

Fooloose at least works for Aoife after the show though - the overhead lift was straight out of Chicago and she was Roxie weeks later.

IED? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bunnykin wrote: »
    ... and more colours.
    Don't forget the colours.;)

Yes, more red, and white and pink on the clowns...

There's a Sondheim masterclass on youtube where he teaches someone to sing ' Clowns. Love to teach them using that and then see what Sheila and John make of it......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may reuse 'Summertime' or give some poor sod 'Lady Is A Tramp'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IED? :confused:

Improvised explosive device - the 21st century minefield.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Improvised explosive device - the 21st century minefield.....

So 'Summertime for Jessica or Sophie! ;)
  • Options
    shamrock_dancershamrock_dancer Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 'Summertime for Jessica or Sophie! ;)

noooooooooooooooooo :eek:
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww god yeh. MT week. Finaly.

no more bloody awful pop songs.

Fingers crossed, eh? I hope so, too. Maybe I'm a pessimist at heart, but I wouldn't be so sure about that - there are plenty of pop-based musicals around, so they could justify throwing in an Abba or Queen song because, technically, they are now a part of musical theatre. I mean, they managed to have static songs during 'dancing week', songs that no Big Band has ever played in 'Big Band week', so I wouldn't put it past them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon both Jessica and Jenny will be stitched up as it's a double elimination. More drama, double the fun. Expect the bojangled girls to get man songs....

I love the Footloose suggestion so I'll give it to Jessica

Jenny will probably get "Oh What a Night" or "We will rock you".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They may reuse 'Summertime' or give some poor sod 'Lady Is A Tramp'

May have a look and see what he's used before on wiki .

He often targets what he's claimed as a weakness regardless of who else can't sing it either. You'll never walk alone - a weightlifting song - followed some daft comment about Aoife's power. Summertime was out of Abi's range and there wasn't much to act. Footloose was as opposite to Nundom as you could be. Supposedly nasal Jenny got a song that needs a beautiful tone but passed. Stephanie got an acting job that none of them could have brought of to reveal she wasn't as good at acting as they say others are..

Jenny is vulnerable to something that takes her into nasal terriory and is meaningless and as you said has fast horrendous choregraphy - footloose is ideal. Jessica needs to be taken out of her zone to be vulnerable - something deeply emotional with lots of variety and big change ups might go wrong - On my Own would do and Cameron needs an advert. Sophie's a bit of a sitting duck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Come to think of it, have they ever done Les Mis songs for the girls? I knew they did "Bring him home" but I was wondering about "On My Own" and "I Dreamed a Dream"? Of course, IDAD would be overused now because of BGT, but I'm surprised it's not overused in ALW shows.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, eh? I hope so, too. Maybe I'm a pessimist at heart, but I wouldn't be so sure about that - there are plenty of pop-based musicals around, so they could justify throwing in an Abba or Queen song because, technically, they are now a part of musical theatre. I mean, they managed to have static songs during 'dancing week', songs that no Big Band has ever played in 'Big Band week', so I wouldn't put it past them.

What ever happens, Danielle should not get summertime. She might surprise us. But, her voice isn't going to pull that off imo. And none of them would. Jessica should certainly not get it.