Options

1990's Rave Scene

Neutral_5Neutral_5 Posts: 135
Forum Member
Growing up as a kid, I was into rave acid house, house and rave from the very late 80s and into the early 1990s.

Unfortunately for me, I was too young to attend any live/underground raves.

But I do have a great memory of some great music and the hot summers in England.

I've seen a few clips on youtube and I can't help but think there was some serious carefree of happiness there.

Does anybody have any experiences/recollection of this particular era?

Comments

• Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have plenty of experiences but no recollection.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only my parents, uncles, aunties etc talking about Exodus, being in their mid twenties, blaring out the loudest music in the town. (We would be living in a nice 4-bed owned house back then, people were on mixed working shifts while Grandma was usually out as a night nurse) Mighty fine memories being a little pip back in the early nineties.

I was obviously too young, and it feels like a shame to have grown up and moved out. :[
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy going to raves in Manchester and Stoke in the early to mid 90s, and it was a great scene, although not quite as nice and chummy as people make it out to be. You could tell it was reaching its end though as people were just getting bored with its inherent shallowness.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I remember is Ebenzer Goode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shaiya wrote: »
    All I remember is Ebenzer Goode.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding the release of that single.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral_5 wrote: »
    There was a lot of controversy surrounding the release of that single.

Naughty naughty, very naughty.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to go to Sterns/The Mansion House in Worthing.

Good times.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good times - Underworld, Leftfield, Oakenfold, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Weatherall, Sasha & Digweed..... Oakenfold's Goa Mix is still of the best examples of rave music
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Good times - Underworld, Leftfield, Oakenfold, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Weatherall, Sasha & Digweed..... Oakenfold's Goa Mix is still of the best examples of rave music

I remember the music but I swear from 1988 to 1995 the ecstasy must have deleted my memories :o:(

Don't think the poppers helped ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I remember the music but I swear from 1988 to 1995 the ecstasy must have deleted my memories :o:(

Don't think the poppers helped ;)

Haha you should have stuck with the Vicks.

Heres a reminder.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A1rroHiso8
  • Options
    Forum Member

There was a cream separates released circa 96 with one of them including Paul Oakenfold - one of the best mixes I've come across - so fluid that you can't even sense any of the tracks being mixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha you should have stuck with the Vicks.

Heres a reminder.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A1rroHiso8

Grace - Skin on Skin - brilliant track and Oakenfolds used this before on another set.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    I used to go to Sterns/The Mansion House in Worthing.

Good times.

OMG I used to go there as well, an awesome venue and always had a top night:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral_5 wrote: »
    There was a cream separates released circa 96 with one of them including Paul Oakenfold - one of the best mixes I've come across - so fluid that you can't even sense any of the tracks being mixed.

Exactly. I remember hearing this at a house party on Radio 1's essential mix one Saturday night in the early 90s and about half way through we realised that this \was one of the best mixes we'd ever heard..... made for a great night!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree the Goa mix is one of my all time fave mixes and Paul Oakenfold is a legend in my eyes:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,019
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy going to raves in Manchester and Stoke in the early to mid 90s, and it was a great scene, although not quite as nice and chummy as people make it out to be. You could tell it was reaching its end though as people were just getting bored with its inherent shallowness.

You should have gone to the more underground raves in forests and the like, much more friendly and everyone on the same happy/hippy/rebelious vibe.
    Happy days indeed, not that I remember all of it either ;)
    Oakenfolds Dragonfly label was one of the best goa trance labels going.
    And yeh Leftfield, still listen to that a lot now :)

:):):) <gratuitous extra smillies :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree the Goa mix is one of my all time fave mixes and Paul Oakenfold is a legend in my eyes:D

Still as fresh today as it was then. Too bad there doesn't really seem to be much that is as good as Oakey or Underworld being produced today
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite tunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74IDkrodMI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I remember hearing this at a house party on Radio 1's essential mix one Saturday night in the early 90s and about half way through we realised that this \was one of the best mixes we'd ever heard..... made for a great night!

It's funny how you've mentioned Radio 1. On the Saturdays that I wasn't out or during my build up to going out on the town, I used to have religious the lovegroove party - Danny Rampling from 7 onwards - used the love the eurodance that co-incided with his programme.

Can't believe some of the rubbish we on on there today!
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    I was around then, hanging out in various dives in the North/North East from 1990 onwards - Blue Monkey in Sunderland (one Butterloggie there was my best night ever), Stockton's Eclipse (first north east all nighters), Newcastle Rezerections, Galactica, Philmores, Rockshots, After Dark...loads.

Best few years of my life those were (the bits that I can remember that is)
  • Options
    chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the 90s scene, I was a wee nipper during the 90s, but I enjoyed the music at the time and kind of wish I'd been born a bit earlier, 80s/90s seemed so much better than now, though maybe I'm looking back with rose-tinted specs.

Did do quite a bit of clubbing/raving the last 5 years or so, don't feel quite so healthy as I used to, memory's always been rubbish though, and it's only gonna get worse. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This used to really get me in the mood in the early to mid 1990s - Saturday's were just special and remember tuning into the Chart Show in the afternoons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhjT73o8GKw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chriswyatt wrote: »
    Missed the 90s scene, I was a wee nipper during the 90s, but I enjoyed the music at the time and kind of wish I'd been born a bit earlier, 80s/90s seemed so much better than now, though maybe I'm looking back with rose-tinted specs.

Did do quite a bit of clubbing/raving the last 5 years or so, don't feel quite so healthy as I used to, memory's always been rubbish though, and it's only gonna get worse. :rolleyes:

Great read and totally agree - time machine needed please! :-)
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »

Don't think the poppers helped
    ;)

Urgh. In my experience it was ten seconds of funniness followed by a very hot face and two days of smelling it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still as fresh today as it was then. Too bad there doesn't really seem to be much that is as good as Oakey or Underworld being produced today

I used to have a tape recording of the original Goa mix from radio 1's essential mix back in the mid 90's which eventually died, gutted I was as I thought it was gone forever:(
    But then when trawling amazon one day I found that oakie had released it on cd again:D get in:D

I still go to what are raves today, but they all lack the the true feel that a rave was, and the music lacks the originality now and sounds very samey, or is it that I'm getting old lol