Options

Making a Cheese Sauce for One.

PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I am going to make a cheesy tuna pasta bake for myself tonight or tomorrow. And I was just curious if someone could advise me on how much cheese I should use.

I don't have a lot of it in my fridge so I am looking to rule the dish in or out :)

I was going to follow this recipe (without the Sweetcorn) and although I normally just divide the amount by how many it makes, I sometimes find that with smaller dishes you need more. So basically I am asking for those who make cheese sauces often is 40g of cheese enough for the sauce and to sprinkle on top?

Comments

• Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that 40 grs is a bit mean, but then I always add loads of cheese in cheese sauce.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always do 30 grams butter 30 grams flour 250 - 300 ml milk then just grate as much cheese as you like and season with pepper to taste its nicer with mature cheddar and red leicester mxed I think and it goes a nice colour. its quite a thick sauce that's enough for about 100 grams of pasta
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I always make too much cheese sauce. For some reason it always gets out of hand. I really should follow a recipe :o
    I add butter, flour and milk, then cheese and if it's too thick add more milk and then I have enough for 4 :D

Just keep it in the fridge and it'll be fine for several days waiting to make something else with it.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adding mustard also helps to lift the cheesy flavour:D
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One doesn't make a cheese sauce.

One gets one's cook to make it for one. :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40g for 1 in a sauce is perfectly fine, i should thing.

it will be calorific enough, i should think,.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about to say this also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

oh i not tried that..i used some nutmeg in cheese sauce, helps make it yum :D ( i got some last week and gave it a whirl ;) )
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually make a fairly thick cheese sauce and keep the leftovers in a covered container in the fridge. The next day I use it as a spread for cheese on toast. Add a sprinkle of Worcester sauce and pop under the grill.

For variation: add a pineapple slice on top and grill
    Add a slice tomato
    Add some more grated cheese