Which Straight Character will be next to turn gay?

PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
Forum Member
In order to boost ratings or generate media interest.Are there any characters you would like to see turning?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have to be a younger character. Although that's what happened with Ben (EE) and Sophie (CS) it's much more realistic than having a middle-aged person who has become settled with their sexuality move on to something else.

EE and CS are the only soaps I keep up with so I don't know about people in other shows. I'd imagine Hollyoaks has done this a few hundred times.
  • BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have to be a younger character. Although that's what happened with Ben (EE) and Sophie (CS) it's much more realistic than having a middle-aged person who has become settled with their sexuality move on to something else.

EE and CS are the only soaps I keep up with so I don't know about people in other shows. I'd imagine Hollyoaks has done this a few hundred times.

It probably happens more in real life then it has been represented in soap to be honest. Ive heard quite a few stories of this happening. Whereas I dont know anyone who has murdered there partner like soaps seem to suggest happens annually ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping for Lauren Branning to catch Joey in bed with Max.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I was wrong in suggesting it was a rare occurrence (compared to younger people). I just can't see it working well in a soap.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgive me but your question sounds quite ignorant- nobody 'becomes' gay or lesbian... One is born that way...

At the moment EastEnders is the only UK soap that needs to create this as we currently have no gay or lesbian characters currently in Albert Square...
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben and Sophie were both realistic, so as long as it isn't out of character for them, like an established womaniser becoming gay, it wouldn't be too bad I guess. They would need SL's away from the usual 'coming out' stuff though, and not be treated like a token gay character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Forgive me but your question sounds quite ignorant- nobody 'becomes' gay or lesbian... One is born that way...

At the moment EastEnders is the only UK soap that needs to create this as we currently have no gay or lesbian characters currently in Albert Square...

The OP never said they would become gay, but realise that they were in fact gay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People aren't born 6ft tall but for many people that's the height they naturally reach (as opposed to unnaturally via some chemical imbalance or really good nutrition).

Maybe a better term would be "finding their true sexuality".
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for Lauren Branning to catch Joey in bed with Max.

:eek:
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Max and Joey. The fallout would be immense.
  • AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a surprise, Vaslav decides to act as though he is though only gay person in the world, with the only one with correct opinion, The Op was talking about soaps and fiction, not reality.....

The OP was referring to the fact that soaps often "turn" an established straight character gay just for a sensationalist storyline.

I am sure he was not trying to imply that in real life this happens.... though as others have suggested, people do grow to discover their true sexuality.

Hollyoaks are the champions at turning established straight characters, Craig, Ste, Doug and Sarah .... its kind of crazy lol
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    In order to boost ratings or generate media interest.Are there any characters you would like to see turning?

Id love to see Phil take it from behind from Fatboy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to have seen Adam in Emmerdale get frisky with Alex, but alas, Cameron has put the kybosh on that fantasy :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Den23 wrote: »
    I'd like to have seen Adam in Emmerdale get frisky with Alex, but alas, Cameron has put the kybosh on that fantasy :(

What? Just because he's dead....? :eek:
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Cameron could get down and dirty with Cain or Declan. Or Gary and Marcus Corrie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as no ones hugged gay.....
  • JamieMacdonaldJamieMacdonald Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Mitchell
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps not in real life, no. But in soaps we've seen it time and time again with characters who appeared to be completely straight change their minds overnight. Sonia anyone?

I think this is perhaps what the OP is referring to.
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe thats what Bianca and Avas upcoming storyline is about....People keep saying they want the writers to take Bianca in a new direction....
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see Bianca in this storyline although it would be an interesting storyline...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant see Bianca in this storyline although it would be an interesting storyline...

Lol at how you made a comment, people corrected you but you have just ignored it :rolleyes:
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is basically the same as my "who should be hugged gay" thread from a couple of days ago!
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Born that way? You must be joking. No one is born gay or straight for that matter. Mother Nature and God are just alibis for those who are too cowardly or ignorant to take responsibility for their desire and choices in life.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like a new family on EastEnders (and some other character whether on the square now or not) on square. I want a storyline where a married man in the his 30s with kids (some grown) finally comes the terms with being gay. Also, the other character and him would of had a thing going on between them when they were 17/18 and they reunite on the square and the storyline goes on from there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salome wrote: »
    Born that way? You must be joking. No one is born gay or straight for that matter. Mother Nature and God are just alibis for those who are too cowardly or ignorant to take responsibility for their desire and choices in life.

That depends on whether you consider someone is gay or straight as a result of orientation or behaviour. Is the married man who has only had sex with his wife but who deep down knows he has only ever been attracted to men, gay or straight ?