When you know about someone else's affair

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
If you knew about someone who was cheating on their partner, and they are both friends of yours, and you confronted the cheater. If they promised to stop the affair, but carried on a close friendship with their lover (because they say dropping them as a friend would cause suspicion), would you trust them?
And what would you do next?

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my younger days I found out a good friends OH was having an affair with another woman.
    I thought I was doing the right thing by telling her.
    She ditched me as a friend and accused me of stirring things.
    I would not tell anyone now if I found out anything.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the majority of replies are going to say "keep out of it", but personally, I wouldn't.

If I was being cheated on, I'd hope that anyone who knew about it would tell me. If it was later revealed that a friend or family member knew about it, it wouldn't just be my partner who gets cut out of my life...
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they not both cheaters ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Depending on how much of am impact it would have on you losing your friendship would depend on whether to tell them or not.

If it was a really good friend I'd feel no alternative but to tell them.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Are they not both cheaters ?

Huh? I don't know what you mean? There are 3 parties: the cheater, their partner, and the cheater's lover.
    *Em* wrote: »
    Depending on how much of am impact it would have on you losing your friendship would depend on whether to tell them or not.

If it was a really good friend I'd feel no alternative but to tell them.

It is a very close friend, losing the friendship would have a huge impact. But the alternative means seeing the person regularly, knowing what's been done to them, being chummy with their partner knowing they have/are cheating on them.

It's all a big mess, and I don't think there's any way to come out of it with every relationship in tact, just trying to decide what's right and what's best and what's most important.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If losing the innocent party's friendship is a risk, could you maybe confront the cheating partner and give him/her (eg) two weeks to confess or you'll do it for them? If the cheater confesses, you don't have to say a thing about it to the innocent partner, but just be there for him/her.

Only a thought, you understand, but the cheater shouldn't fall out with you over this, because he/she's totally in the wrong here.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a horrible situation to be in... If you tell then you run the risk of your friend ending the friendship, if you don't tell then you run the risk of it all coming out in the end and your friend ending the friendship.

I guess you have to ask yourself would you rather the friendship end because you told a truth that your friend didn't want to hear, or because you kept something hidden from your friend and lost their trust?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are several considerations here.
    Do you have absolute evidence or a multitude of "hearsay"?
    Imagine the consequences of acting on gossip which is unfounded.

What are your motives?
    Are you genuinely trying to prevent a loved friend from being hurt/ humiliated?
    Are you just titillated by the gossip and bursting to be the one who "breaks the news" to someone because it's "the right thing to do" regardless of the fallout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    If losing the innocent party's friendship is a risk, could you maybe confront the cheating partner and give him/her (eg) two weeks to confess or you'll do it for them? If the cheater confesses, you don't have to say a thing about it to the innocent partner, but just be there for him/her.

Only a thought, you understand, but the cheater shouldn't fall out with you over this, because he/she's totally in the wrong here.

I think the OP has already done that?
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP has already done that?

Oh I see! Reading it back, that is implied, yes. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    It is a very close friend, losing the friendship would have a huge impact. But the alternative means seeing the person regularly, knowing what's been done to them, being chummy with their partner knowing they have/are cheating on them.

It's all a big mess, and I don't think there's any way to come out of it with every relationship in tact, just trying to decide what's right and what's best and what's most important.

Well, I guess what friendship do you want more? The victim's or the cheater?

If you appreciate the victim's friendship more then I would say tell them, although as its been said before, telling them could end your friendship, but not telling them and being found out could end the friendship too. I wonder if you could ask them subtly if they would want someone to tell them if it was happening? Like relate it to a soap or something???

It also depends on their situation, whether they have kids or not, etc.

Do you know of anyone else who knows about this affair? Maybe you could talk to them? But if not I wouldn't want to involve anyone else, that would definitely reflect badly on you in the end.

Maybe you could confront the cheater's lover? Although that is risky. But if you tell the victim, you need to be sure that there was an affair, if you have any evidence or have seen it with you own eyes. But then the victim could deny it and you lose the friendship (but then its their loss, not much of a friend).

However, if you prefer the friendship with the cheater, then say nothing and keep out. But in the end, I think it just depends on your moral compass.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you knew about someone who was cheating on their partner, and they are both friends of yours, and you confronted the cheater. If they promised to stop the affair, but carried on a close friendship with their lover (because they say dropping them as a friend would cause suspicion), would you trust them?
    BIB i don't get.

You ask "if they promised to stop the affair but carried on a close friendship with their lover....".

Sorry but that's just not good enough. Only the most naive would be taken in by "oh we've stopped shagging each other we are just good friends now". So the answer to your question of 'trust' is a resounding NO!
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I don't think the OP has the right to ask the cheater to stop cheating. It's really nobody else's right to monitor someone else's relationship.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a chance that the partner may already know but is keeping everything under wraps so as not to blow the whole relationship apart? Sometimes it is easier to pretend things aren't really happening rather than having to face up to the truth and facing all the shit that will follow.
  • Jasmine OJasmine O Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    Is there a chance that the partner may already know but is keeping everything under wraps so as not to blow the whole relationship apart? Sometimes it is easier to pretend things aren't really happening rather than having to face up to the truth and facing all the shit that will follow.

I agree, I have know some women who know their husbands are cheating on them but have chosen to ignore it. In one case I think she doesn't want to lose the the income he brings to the marriage and knows these are just flings. I myself would not stand for it but then again I don't like sharing anything ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasmine O wrote: »
    I agree, I have know some women who know their husbands are cheating on them but have chosen to ignore it. In one case I think she doesn't want to lose the the income he brings to the marriage and knows these are just flings.

I know many a woman who turns a blind eye to what their man is getting up to.
    Usually as they have no wish to lose the lifestyle they are in and all that goes with that.

The friend I mentioned earlier knew about what her man was getting up to.
    She did not welcome the fact that I told her at all.
    She distanced herself from me after that and remained with her man.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know many a woman who turns a blind eye to what their man is getting up to.
    Usually as they have no wish to lose the lifestyle they are in and all that goes with that.

The friend I mentioned earlier knew about what her man was getting up to.
    She did not welcome the fact that I told her at all.
    She distanced herself from me after that and remained with her man.

I aired my views on this subject on another thread and was jumped on from a great height. I do believe that no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors of someone else's relationship. Not everyone wants to hear the truth, especially if there may be young children involved. People can and do get over affairs if they want to. Sorry Summer Breeze this isn't a dig at you. This is the reason I would NEVER tell anyone else what I think may be going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member

Hmm always tricky, I'm a bit confused are they both cheaters?

I'd feel slightly compelled to say something due the risk of STI's being passed on, I don't think i could sit there knowing what the other partner might bringing home whilst they are at home thinking everything is okay, possibly looking after that persons children , whilst they are behaving like a single person :(

very cruel,

It is a valid point though about not being blamed and disbelieved, you're not the bad guy here and don't want to be made to feel that way.

hmm, is the other one suspicious at all?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally speaking, I think your first duty is always to yourself. If you 'tell' about the affair, you are always going to come out of it looking bad to someone. It could be just to the person that you told on or, for example, if you are a man, and telling on another man, you could be seen as a bit of a sneak and actually end up shunned by lots of your man friends. It may not be fair, but it's the way it is...

Unless there is some really compelling reason that you need to tell someone about it (and you need to be honest with yourself about your motives for doing it), then I'd be tempted to keep quiet. Just because it's the 'right thing to do' is not reason enough.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Huh? I don't know what you mean? There are 3 parties: the cheater, their partner, and the cheater's lover.

That ship has sailed by the sound of it you already waded in by confronting the cheater. I would personally stay out of it as you will probably end up coming out of it worse than any other party.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending how close the person being cheated on was to me I would tell them about it. If I found out that my husband had an affair and one of my friends knew about it and didn't tell me I would never trust the friend again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    Sorry Summer Breeze this isn't a dig at you. This is the reason I would NEVER tell anyone else what I think may be going on.

I agree now.
    I was young when I told her.
    I would not at all now.
    I was told that my ex OH had been seeing someone when he was with me after we divorced.
    I am glad I did not know then and I wish the person who told me afterwards had not told me after either.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been cheated on by an ex, which a mutual friend knew about, I would have preferred she had told me.

The fact that she didn't tell me ruined our friendship. I understand she was in a very difficult situation, but I just couldn't trust her again.

I just felt like a complete fool. I couldn't get it out of my head that she'd known about it all along. I kept thinking of times I'd talked to her about my boyfriend, about good and bad things like arguments we'd had, or when I'd said things were going well, and felt that we might have a serious future together. Even things like when I'd suggested we go out because he was working away, when she knew there was a good chance he was not working away at all! I think I even once said to her that I knew he would never cheat, because he loved me too much.

I wish she'd have told me. It was bad enough being made a fool of by my partner, but I also felt so humiliated about all the conversations I'd had with her.

I just couldn't confide in her about anything again, even though I know she didn't mean to hurt me. The fact that she sat there and listened while knowing the truth just meant I didn't trust her anymore.

So, if anyone asks whether they should say anything, my advice would always be yes.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say nothing, and if it inexplicably comes out that you knew all along just plead ignorance.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my younger days I found out a good friends OH was having an affair with another woman.
    I thought I was doing the right thing by telling her.
    She ditched me as a friend and accused me of stirring things.
    I would not tell anyone now if I found out anything.

Same thing happened with me. Unless it was family or my very closest friends, I wouldn't bother.