Options

Kate Moss reaches sell-by date

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    ^^

Surely models have a sell-by date, in as much that they get too old to be employed?? There comes a time when they're all going to stop working, although I must say that I'm pleased that there are older models still working since so much is all aimed around youth these days and you're deemed to be 'past it' once you hit 30.

That said, I just don't like Kate Moss and as for her being versatile, she's had the same look on her face in every photo I've ever seen of her. Versatile in what way? ^^

Clearly we look at different photo's then. Im not going ot lie im a big fan of Kate from a professional point of view. As you can gather from my above post. Ive followed her career for a while now and Kate can do one editorial and look completley different to another one. She is very versatile. She can do haute couture (even with her height disadvantage) as well as she can do grunge.

In candids she does always look the same, the scowl, but she's not working then.

And yeah models do have age limits, as you said its usually 30 and Moss has gone a while past that, yet is still pulling in more work than 20 year olds. But she's also moving away from straight forward modelling, to more designer based work particually with Top-shop, Longchamp and the Kate Moss perfumes.
  • Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She gets the work because it's not her face that sells as far as modelling clothes goes, but her figure. She has the boyish, no-hips-or-tits look that can carry off high fashion.

Face wise I think she's very plain indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I disagree that its her figure and not her face. There are plently of skinny boyish figured models around. None have the career or pulling power that Kate has.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She gets the work because it's not her face that sells as far as modelling clothes goes, but her figure. She has the boyish, no-hips-or-tits look that can carry off high fashion.

That's the problem, high fashion is for skinny runts, women with real curves don't really seem to matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade_1 wrote: »
    ^ I disagree that its her figure and not her face. There are plently of skinny boyish figured models around. None have the career or pulling power that Kate has.

Doesn't make her any less plain though. When modelling clothes, the face doesn't really matter whoever the model is. It seemed to when the supermodels like Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista etc were active, but not so much now. Lily Cole, Agyness Deyn, Lara Stone, all very plain facially, but very successful at modelling high fashion.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    WelshMum64 wrote: »
    ....not completely true, I stopped buying Rimmel make-up (after being a loyal customer since the late 70's) when Ms Moss became the *face* of the brand.

I think that she was the Cher Lloyd of the 90's - overhyped and over praised for being "different" and "unique" because she was very, very skinny and had a whole repertoire of scowls!

Her contemporaries (Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer etc) were, IMO, much more attractive.

Like it or not Kate Moss is an icon and a symbol of a generation. She's absolutely revered in the world of fashion and her face is recognizable anywhere a I'm not even going to comment on the absurdity of comparing her with a contestant on X factor.

In her heyday in my opinion she was 30 million times more attractive than all the glamazons put together, and the reality is, that she single handedly finished with their rein. Since then that type of model just got out of fashion but the Kate Mosses remain. Plus she is a superb model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't make her any less plain though. When modelling clothes, the face doesn't really matter whoever the model is. It seemed to when the supermodels like Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista etc were active, but not so much now. Lily Cole, Agyness Deyn, Lara Stone, all very plain facially, but very successful at modelling high fashion.

Again i disagree. In the 90's i believe she was stunning. Not conventionally sexy, like Cindy and co but stunning. Her first British Vogue cover by Corrine day for example was IMO breathtakingly beautiful. As where her Obssesion CK adverts.

Like i said if the face didnt matter, Kate wouldnt have made such a big impact. There are plently of skinny girls around, but they dont have the face Kate does. Her bone structure is incredible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again i disagree. In the 90's i believe she was stunning. Not conventionally sexy, like Cindy and co but stunning. Her first British Vogue cover by Corrine day for example was IMO breathtakingly beautiful. As where her Obssesion CK adverts.

Like i said if the face didnt matter, Kate wouldnt have made such a big impact. There are plently of skinny girls around, but they dont have the face Kate does. Her bone structure is incredible.

Very few of us will have seen her in reality, and from photos of her out and about she can look very, very rough indeed. The best make up artists, fantastic lighting and airbrushing can do wonders for the plainest woman. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose it all depends on what the individual finds beautiful. I don't find Kate beautiful at all, although I will agree with you about her bone structure. I still say Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Linda Evangelista were beautiful. Kate, IMO, is/was as plain as day.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    You miseread the post, I was asked if I like any woman and I said yes I do, plus you went off topic. Hang your head in shame fredster.:rolleyes:

The only way to find out who I like is to look at my previous posts..:D:D

No, Mr G I did not misread your post I asked if KP was one of the women you like.
    I always go off topic. it drives Mr fred mad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very few of us will have seen her in reality, and from photos of her out and about she can look very, very rough indeed. The best make up artists, fantastic lighting and airbrushing can do wonders for the plainest woman. ;)

Now she does look rough at times. That im not denying, she can look terrible, but she an also look fantastic at times. When she puts a comb through her hair and puts a bit of slap on. She can look beautiful without airbrushing. And in the 90's she outshined everyone. With or without make up. I dont think anyone with a bone structure like her can ever be plain.

Besides this topic was about her being past it in terms of her job. Beautiful or not, she clearly sill impresses the right people in the fashion industry. You only have to listen to people like Mario Testino or John Galliano talk about her to see what kind of regard she is held in. Even the supermodels can help but speak highly of her work. She is iconic and will continue to pull in work for many years to come. The end of her full length collection with Top shop is just something running its course, its not something to signal her being past it. She'll replace them as quickly as they replace her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now she does look rough at times. That im not denying, she can look terrible, but she an also look fantastic at times. When she puts a comb through her hair and puts a bit of slap on. She can look beautiful without airbrushing. And in the 90's she outshined everyone. With or without make up. I dont think anyone with a bone structure like her can ever be plain.

Besides this topic was about her being past it in terms of her job. Beautiful or not, she clearly sill impresses the right people in the fashion industry. You only have to listen to people like Mario Testino or John Galliano talk about her to see what kind of regard she is held in. Even the supermodels can help but speak highly of her work. She is iconic and will continue to pull in work for many years to come. The end of her full length collection with Top shop is just something running its course, its not something to signal her being past it. She'll replace them as quickly as they replace her.

She's just like any other woman. Her looks will fade especially as she's a heavy smoker and a bit over fond of the booze, and she won't be in demand for fashion modelling forever anyway.

Surely you can see that she has help with her looks when she's photographed? Any woman could look good with the artificial aids she has.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree, and with your other posts here. Beautiful bone structure, extremely photogenic, camera loves her, and she's always had that edgy and slightly quirky element that the others didn't have, which is why I love her and why she's always stood out for me. No one else looks like Kate. She's had a brilliant career and I see no reason why she won't continue to be in demand for the forseeable future. She also seems to have a very good business head.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Agree, and with your other posts here. Beautiful bone structure, extremely photogenic, camera loves her, and she's always had that edgy and slightly quirky element that the others didn't have, which is why I love her and why she's always stood out for me. No one else looks like Kate. She's had a brilliant career and I see no reason why she won't continue to be in demand for the forseeable future. She also seems to have a very good business head.[/QUOTE

I agree with all this. You cannot dismiss this womans success as a fluke. She isn't everyones cup of tea but who is.:)
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    She's just like any other woman. Her looks will fade especially as she's a heavy smoker and a bit over fond of the booze, and she won't be in demand for fashion modelling forever anyway.

Surely you can see that she has help with her looks when she's photographed? Any woman could look good with the artificial aids she has.

I've seen her in real life, she has the most amazing bone structure, there is nothing about her face that can be considered common.
    And I agree with Jade, I remember as a teenager in the 90s seeing those CK ads, thinking she was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

She's a 36 year old woman, her modeling days should have been long gone, even if she was totally clean living, but she's still on huge demand, and not on demand like something i see Claudia or Cindy that sometimes have the token cover talking of past glories. She's gets the same type of editorials that could go to 15 year old girls with perfect skin.
    With Kate it goes beyond looking good, there are woman more conventionally pretty, and at the moment, in better shape and with nicer skin, but she's simply a fantastic model.
    No amount of lighting or photoshop can make a pretty but insipid girl a true beauty.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    never got the appeal of km, she's cross eyed for a start.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Agree, and with your other posts here. Beautiful bone structure, extremely photogenic, camera loves her, and she's always had that edgy and slightly quirky element that the others didn't have, which is why I love her and why she's always stood out for me. No one else looks like Kate. She's had a brilliant career and I see no reason why she won't continue to be in demand for the forseeable future. She also seems to have a very good business head.
    This. Kate is unmatchable and whether you lot like it or not, will be working 'til the day she dies. She's still in demand and is the cover of Bryan Ferry's latest album, for example. A few posters on here boycotting 'her' products is hardly going to give her sleepless nights.:yawn:

Long live Kate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    Yeah, skinny, flat chested and ugly.

I remember when kate moss became a model i cheered!
    Shops started to make a size 8 after kate arrived as years ago they only made size ten, which drowned me.

I have always been skinny and flat chested (and eat like a horse and always have done) and i used to be so paranoid about being so thin. i used to wear three pairs of tights to make my legs look fatter till i was about 21. I always hated my collarbone too and shoulders.

At 40 I weigh 8 stone and im 5 foot 3 and people always comment on my skinnyness.

When people say to me arent you skinny, i am aghast as I would never dream of saying to someone, gosh arent you fat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    WelshMum64 wrote: »
    ....not completely true, I stopped buying Rimmel make-up (after being a loyal customer since the late 70's) when Ms Moss became the *face* of the brand.

I think that she was the Cher Lloyd of the 90's - overhyped and over praised for being "different" and "unique" because she was very, very skinny and had a whole repertoire of scowls!

Her contemporaries (Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer etc) were, IMO, much more attractive.
    True. But I would classify Crawford, Schiffer, Campbell, etc. as the generation of models before Moss. IIRC there was a big to do about how Moss was ushering out the older glamazons in favor of anorexic "heroin chic."

Eh. I'll take Turlington over this cow anyday. Easily the greatest model of all time imo. And a much better person to boot.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    light post wrote: »
    Eh. I'll take Turlington over this cow anyday. Easily the greatest model of all time imo. And a much better person to boot.

I love Christy Turlington. Saw her interviewed once and she was a sweety pie. :)

Also like Cindy Crawford because she was valedictorian of her high school class. Brains AND beauty - go Cind! :)
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely models have a sell-by date, in as much that they get too old to be employed?? There comes a time when they're all going to stop working, although I must say that I'm pleased that there are older models still working since so much is all aimed around youth these days and you're deemed to be 'past it' once you hit 30.

I am definitely NOT a Kate fan; I agree she looks like a frog full of smashed crabs (!), but in terms of this post, what about the likes of Jerry Hall? I agree that in terms of your everyday fashion modelling there is a 'skin' age which means you can't model make-up any more, but I fear we will never be free of the Moss-Monster! :D
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    never got the appeal of km, she's cross eyed for a start.

That's probably due to the drugs...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    I love Christy Turlington. Saw her interviewed once and she was a sweety pie. :)

Also like Cindy Crawford because she was valedictorian of her high school class. Brains AND beauty - go Cind! :)
    Didn't know that about Crawford, but figured she was no dummy based on her business acumen.

Turlington also went back to school and got her degree from NYU after she became famous. Most people who ran into said she carried herself like other students, no "look at me" attitude.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Most catwalk models are finished at 25 so she's done well to keep going this long.