Options

UEFA tie-breaking criteria?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
The wording of the new tie-breaking criteria is sort of confusing - http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/newsid=1800152.html
a) Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
b) Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
c) Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
d) If, after having applied criteria a) to c), two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given;
e) superior goal difference in all group matches;
f) higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
g) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see annex I, paragraph 1.2.2);
h) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
i) drawing of lots

So:

a) Highest points
b) Regular highest goal difference
c) Regular highest goals scored

d) The outcome of head-to-head matches between otherwise tied teams? Sorta confusing because it only refers to two teams, when repeating b) and c) for head-to-head matches would be pointless if only two teams were tied.
e) Eh?
f) *scratches head*

g) Self-explanatory.
h) Self-explanatory.
i) Self-explanatory.

Can anyone explain d) to f)?

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    d) If more than two teams tied then a) to c) would be used to identify if one of them is better than the other two. Then re-apply a) to c) using only the results between the two remaing tied teams.

e) and f) includes results from teams not involved in the tie as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Got it now, I think. I should have paid attention to this bit:

"If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

So, the first tie-breaking criteria is the outcome of head-to-head matches before goal difference and goals scored.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it now, I think. I should have paid attention to this bit:

"If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

So, the first tie-breaking criteria is the outcome of head-to-head matches before goal difference and goals scored.
    Do the BBC and ITV know this because I'm sure they've been talking about how teams will go through "on goal difference"
  • Options
    PrinciplePrinciple Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently for this specific tournament, this is the criteria:

Tie-breaking criteria

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (according to paragraphs 8.07 and 8.08 of the regulations, and amendment to 8.07 adopted by the UEFA Executive Committee):[41][42]

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
    2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
    3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
    4. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 3 to more than two teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 3 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5 to 10 apply in the order given;
    5. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
    6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
    7. If two teams which are tied in all criteria 1 to 6 play their last group match against each other (i.e., the result is a draw and the two teams have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored), and provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points, the ranking of the two teams in question is determined by penalty shoot-out. Otherwise, criteria 8 to 10 apply in the order given;
    8. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;
    9. Fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
    10. Drawing of lots.

Note: As all teams have different UEFA national team coefficient, the last two tie-breakers (fair play conduct and drawing of lots) will never be applied in this tournament.