Options

Portugal vs Ghana - BBC Red Button 5pm KO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
Forum Member
A win might not be enough for either of these teams as a draw in the other Group G game would send both Portugal and Ghana out.
Enjoy the match!

Comments

• Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see Portugal getting both the win and required swing in goal difference they need.

A 2-0 Germany win and a 1-0 Ghana win isn't that unlikely, so Ghana will fancy their chances.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting this discussion underway in decent advance time.

Thought you might have started the thread last December.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem that they've been focussed on tactics...

World Cup 2014: Ghana sends $3m cash to players in Brazil

Ghana's government has sent over $3m (£1.8m) in cash by plane to Brazil to pay the appearance fees owed to the national team players at the World Cup.
    Deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yamin told Ghanaian radio station Citi FM: "The players insisted that they will want physical cash.
    "The government had to mobilise the money and a chartered flight to Brazil. The money is in excess of $3m."
    Earlier in the week, there were rumours the Black Stars could boycott training ahead of the game if their demand for payment was not met.
    As unrest grew in the Ghana camp, Ghana President John Dramani Mahama personally assured the players that they would receive their money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28021131
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't want to be the security guard at their hotel :o
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Cant believe this is only available via the red button. I wanted to record this match, and watch it when I get home from work. Why have both matches, when you cant show both matches? Stupidity from the BBC. They could have shown this match on BB3 or BBC4.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Cant believe this is only available via the red button. I wanted to record this match, and watch it when I get home from work. Why have both matches, when you cant show both matches? Stupidity from the BBC. They could have shown this match on BB3 or BBC4.

No they couldn't. BBC 3 and 4 aren't on air until 7pm.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    agree BBC could have done better.
    Anyone in SE London can go down to the Ghanaian pub, the Castle Tavern in Woolwich. Party time, win or lose.
    Just hope the USA-Germany result isn't a mutual non aggression pact
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    No they couldn't. BBC 3 and 4 aren't on air until 7pm.

Cant they air earlier? If they cant, they should have given one of the matches to ITV.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant they air earlier? If they cant, they should have given one of the matches to ITV.

No they can't air earlier. I don't think ITV would've wanted a second choice match which would be thrashed by the match on BBC One.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why can't you record it?
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    James1953 wrote: »

Ghana's government has sent over $3m (£1.8m) in cash by plane to Brazil to pay the appearance fees owed to the national team players at the World Cup.
    Deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yamin told Ghanaian radio station Citi FM: "The players insisted that they will want physical cash.
    "The government had to mobilise the money and a chartered flight to Brazil. The money is in excess of $3m."
    Earlier in the week, there were rumours the Black Stars could boycott training ahead of the game if their demand for payment was not met.
    As unrest grew in the Ghana camp, Ghana President John Dramani Mahama personally assured the players that they would receive their money.

Cameroon did the same kind of nonsense - they refused to get on the plane to Brazil until they received the cash. Surely all of this stuff should have been sorted out long before the football or even the flight departure.
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »

Hope they go out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If those fees are agreed and have not been paid the players have every right to boycott training.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Black Stars?" Bit unnecessary
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the team's well known nickname.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It just gets worse for Ghana... Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have been kicked out of the squad. Muntari apparently attacked an executive committee member, while KPB has been throwing "vulgar insults" at the Ghana coach in training.

The KPB incident doesn't surprise me, he's never had a great relationship with Appiah.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28035928
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the team's well known nickname.

Ah right okay.

Two stars now sent home as well I just heard
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It just gets worse for Ghana... Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have been kicked out of the squad. Muntari apparently attacked an executive committee member, while KPB has been throwing "vulgar insults" at the Ghana coach in training.

The KPB incident doesn't surprise me, he's never had a great relationship with Appiah.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28035928

they certainly know how to sabotage their own chances don't they?
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Hopefully Portugal win.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    If those fees are agreed and have not been paid the players have every right to boycott training.

Despite all the stick they get in the press, England players donate their international match fees to charity and play purely for the pride of playing fro their country.

Virtually all the Ghana players will play for top European clubs and will already be on huge salaries.

Seems quite shameful to me that they are demanding these fees from their government which could be better spent on the poor in Ghana.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    No they can't air earlier. I don't think ITV would've wanted a second choice match which would be thrashed by the match on BBC One.

Thrashed, I am not so sure it would be thrashed. From a footballing point of view, the portugal/ghana match would be a better game to watch. Two similar matched teams, the other game could be too one sided. That of course depends on how seriously Germany take it.
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Why can't you record it?

On sky, you cant record the red button events.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pathetic. muntari couldnt have played anyway tonight mind.

still with bonus affair etc its a bad time for ghana. have a real chance of qualification tonight aswell.
  • Options
    callchris1stcallchris1st Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    At least it will be available in HD on the new Freesat BBC Red Button HD channel, starting at 16.55, according to the now/next EPG. May have to do a rescan to get it.
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's all about money...what happened to having the pride of representing your country at the World Cup??? money grabbing c*nts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Despite all the stick they get in the press, England players donate their international match fees to charity and play purely for the pride of playing fro their country.

Virtually all the Ghana players will play for top European clubs and will already be on huge salaries.

Seems quite shameful to me that they are demanding these fees from their government which could be better spent on the poor in Ghana.

They are not demanding money off their government. They are seeking money the Ghanaian FA agreed to pay them which is rightfully theirs. The government is bailing out the GFA and will be reimbursed when FIFA dish out the prize money.
    Miles_T wrote: »
    It's all about money...what happened to having the pride of representing your country at the World Cup??? money grabbing *****

The Ghanaian FA should not offer those sums in the first place. It isn't the players problem.