Options

visiting prison

BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i have been asked to visit an ex in prison, im going on friday...is it scary lol

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    No not really it is not scary.

He is a ex in prison why bother with him anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still love him..sadly
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends which one you visit, but in my (unfortunately:() experience the visiting areas are pleasant enough apart from the searching and endless security checks, the staff are usually friendly and kind. Depending on which prison you visit ( strangely the higher security prisons seem to have a better class of prisoner:D) the other visitors are just normal families and are usually very friendly in a 'we're all in the same boat' kind of way, I had visions of drug addled girlfriends and gangster pals all hanging around outside, but it was nothing like that at all.

Just a word of advice, most men in prison tend to get a bit sentimental and say things they may not back up in the outside world, take any romantic ramblings with a huge pinch of salt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    It depends which one you visit, but in my (unfortunately:() experience the visiting areas are pleasant enough apart from the searching and endless security checks, the staff are usually friendly and kind. Depending on which prison you visit ( strangely the higher security prisons seem to have a better class of prisoner:D) the other visitors are just normal families and are usually very friendly in a 'we're all in the same boat' kind of way, I had visions of drug addled girlfriends and gangster pals all hanging around outside, but it was nothing like that at all.

Just a word of advice, most men in prison tend to get a bit sentimental and say things they may not back up in the outside world, take any romantic ramblings with a huge pinch of salt![/QUOTE]

thanks for that! im not expecting anything to come of it but im thought atleast if i go ive shown i care and its up to him to change his behaviour x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BZR wrote: »

thanks for that! im not expecting anything to come of it but im thought atleast if i go ive shown i care and its up to him to change his behaviour x

Bit late for that. He is your ex for a reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I have been in a Prison for work reasons and I was right inside, not just the visiting bit but in the halls and cells, the inital custody part and the notorious 'lifers' hall. I was a bit daunted as the prisoners were just all walking about, staring at me or coming up to me and saying hi! But obvioulsy they were deemed 'not dangerous! But I knew I was in the lifers part and I knew some were killers and sex offenders.

I felt a bit scared at first but there are tons of wardens and I was with a collegue who worked in the prision and every door you go through gets locked after you. You are perfectly safe.

The part you will be going in is just a room and it is nothing to worry about.

You have to hand your mobile phone in before you go through the locked doors and you go through a scanner to check you have no weapons and drugs!

The doors are massive thick steel doors so once you are in there is no getting out unless you have a key!

You will prob go through a few doors then into the visiting area where there will be tons of other people visiting relatives and loved ones.

You will be fine.

I would say though it is a pretty depressing place to go to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Try the HMPS site for more information:

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/keepingintouch/visitorsguide/

You should feel perfectly safe when visiting but if you have any concerns at all, just talk to a member of staff. They should be able to help you and advise you on anything you aren't sure of.

One word of warning (I am sure you wouldn't even dream of this, but some do) Do not attempt to carry any prohibited items past the Gate area.

If you're sensible and follow the staff's advice, i'm sure you'll enjoy your visit and it may take your ex's mind off his surroundings a little.