Theatre

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
Forum Member
Hi all,

one thing I noticed a distinct lack of around here was any talk of Theatre, which seems odd as it's a backbone of British Culture. We have such an amazing Theatreland in London and wonderful venues in other cities and they're so rarely mentioned on here.

I've been an amateur performer for 11 years, have done 6 plays and countless Musicals/One night Musical Showcases at venues including the Lowry Lyric and Quays Theatres and the Opera House, Manchester.

I love to watch as well, go to London frequently and have seen friends who have gone pro shine as they finally live their dreams.

Theatre can make you feel so many different things, shock you, make you laugh until you cry or just make you want to dance in the aisles. It can be so wondefully emotive (the best shows I've seen have left me sobbing!), and absorbing, no more so than onstage, and around my job I'd say it's my whole life.

Anyone else there like to go to the Theatre? What have been some of your favourite productions/plays/shows/writers? Anyone out there like to share their own experiences of treading the boards?

Em aka "The Thesp" to my friends! :D xx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter and Mum saw Oliver The Musical (with the lovely Jodi Prenger as Nancy, Griff Rhys Jones as Fagin) and loved it to bits.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    I have just joined a local amateur voluntary theatre group.

I actually love Shakespeare plays too, they are so relevant now even though they were written in the 1600's. Racism, anti-semetism, oedipus complex (very Jeremy Kyle:D ), sex, love, infedility.

Life isn't so different today.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    My daughter and Mum saw Oliver The Musical (with the lovely Jodi Prenger as Nancy, Griff Rhys Jones as Fagin) and loved it to bits.
    Oliver! is my absolute favourite! I've done it 4 times (playing every role EXCEPT Nancy grr! :D)

Jodie is lovely, I met her the first time I saw it! Went more recently when one of my abovementioned friends was playing Charlotte :)
    Forum Member
    I've just read Absurd Person Singular and am looking forward to seeing that performed, very dark humour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are taking my son to see the Wizard of Oz at the Palladium in a few months. Not really proper highbrow theatre I know, but still. Looking forward to it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love theatre and don't go often enough. My favourite play recently was Inherit The Wind with Kevin Spacey at The Old Vic.

Matthew Bourne's Cinderella was very good a few weeks ago. On the cards is Wizard of Oz in March :eek:

I've seen a lot over the years and used to go more often. Unfortunately weekend tickets tend to be quite pricey, granted not always, and there is all the usual humdrum stuff that needs to be done at weekends too.

A bit more organisation and effort might help free up a bit more time for theatre but ....

Glad you are enjoying treading the boards luvvy! :D
  • Twenty ElevenTwenty Eleven Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I'd absolutley love to go and see a show in the West End, it's something I have been thinking of for years but due to different circumstances never have.

I wouldn't even be fussy as to which one for my first time, the whole experience of going down to London and maybe staying over in a hotel would add to it.

In all honesty I don't know the first thing about the theatre - but it's definitely something I'd love to know more about, especially going to see a big show.
    Forum Member
    The Vixen wrote: »
    I have just joined a local amateur voluntary theatre group.

I actually love Shakespeare plays too, they are so relevant now even though they were written in the 1600's. Racism, anti-semetism, oedipus complex (very Jeremy Kyle:D ), sex, love, infedility.

Life isn't so different today.:D
    That's so true. There are very few Shakespeare plays I didn't like, the bard's hard to beat :) One of my (many!) groups is doing Macbeth in March :)
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    We are taking my son to see the Wizard of Oz at the Palladium in a few months. Not really proper highbrow theatre I know, but still. Looking forward to it :)

Maybe not the Show but in terms of Venues you can't really get more prestigious than the Palladium! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emzie21 wrote: »
    Oliver! is my absolute favourite! I've done it 4 times (playing every role EXCEPT Nancy grr! :D)

Jodie is lovely, I met her the first time I saw it! Went more recently when one of my abovementioned friends was playing Charlotte :)

Impressive!!!

The official site http://www.oliverthemusical.com/photos/ spells her name Jodi, you spell it Jodie.

Now I have to find out !!!!!:(

EDIT - you are correct :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodie_Prenger
    Forum Member

How common. I took my child to see Shakespeare when he was 8!

Only because I couldn't get a sitter and I had to go for my degree course.

Thankfully he loved it, it was Midsummer Nights Dream.

I took him to see Cinderella at Christmas and he was bored stiff! We made the mistake of watching a week of Pantomimes on the television which were superb and the local performance wasn't a scratch on them.

In all seriousness, I do believe that children's love of the threatre can start with pantomimes and kids stuff. There's no point in taking them if they are going to hate it, all they will learn is that theatre is boring.

I was lucky that there was enough amusing stuff in the Shakespeare play that it didn't scar him for life or put him off theatre for ever.

I can't afford London but this thread has whet my appetite to see what's on at the RSC.
    Forum Member
    I'd absolutley love to go and see a show in the West End, it's something I have been thinking of for years but due to different circumstances never have.

I wouldn't even be fussy as to which one for my first time, the whole experience of going down to London and maybe staying over in a hotel would add to it.

In all honesty I don't know the first thing about the theatre - but it's definitely something I'd love to know more about, especially going to see a big show.
    Well personally I can recommend

*still on in London*

Wicked
    Chicago
    We Will Rock You
    Phantom of the Opera
    Les Miserables
    Mamma Mia
    Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    Blood Brothers
    War Horse
    Dirty Dancing
    Grease
    Wizard of Oz (starts in March)
    Shrek (also starts soon)

* no longer playing but were amazing and may return! *

West Side Story
    Sweeney Todd
    Into the Woods
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Oliver!
    My Fair Lady
    Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
    Company
    Mack and Mabel
    The Sound of Music
    Anything Goes
    Little Shop of Horrors
    Rent
    Hairspray
    Avenue Q
    Hair
    Imagine This
    Spring Awakening
    Mary Poppins
    Jekyll and Hyde

not to mention all of the plays!

edit - Added some more I've forgotten and looking back.. how do I have ANY money left :eek::eek: lol!
    Forum Member
    That's so true. There are very few Shakespeare plays I didn't like, the bard's hard to beat :) One of my (many!) groups is doing Macbeth in March :)

Hes brilliant, perhaps I'm odd as I loved Chaucer too.

Did anyone else see the series "Chaucer for our Times" when they had modernised the Canterbury Tales.

Excellent for those who like or hate Chaucer, that series was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    For a first time visit to the West End (I hope that's where the theatres are! lol) what would people recommend seeing? Also what theatre would be best as a smaller one to start with?

Thanks x

EDIT: Emzie put a fantastic list up as I was typing this post. :)
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the theatre
    I been many times over the years
    I adore Jonathan Ansell and seen him quite few times In Whistle Down The Wind and Larkraise to Candleford theatre tours.
    I just can not recall of what I seen but going to see The Jersey Boys soon and got straight play to see and Mozert production to go to
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been to the West End to see Phantom of the Opera and My Fair Lady - both were excellent, nearer to home I have seen several musicals.

I find that West End shows are a lot more expensive than regional performances, I understand that the London performances often have higher overheads, many have smaller capacity (than say Manchester Palace or Liverpool Empire) - making a need for higher prices essential.

Not that I would be affected personally, but it would be a nice gesture if for example - to have 10% of weeknight tickets that were available at a capped price (£20?) for London residents only - who don't have the luxury of lower regional pricing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not the Show but in terms of Venues you can't really get more prestigious than the Palladium! :D

Yeh, also taking my parents who are in their 70's and have never been there before. I think the Palladium has a big cachet for their generation as all the big shows came from there back in the day. We are in the Royal Circle. Should be a lovely night out.
    How common. I took my child to see Shakespeare when he was 8!

Only because I couldn't get a sitter and I had to go for my degree course.

Thankfully he loved it, it was Midsummer Nights Dream.

I took him to see Cinderella at Christmas and he was bored stiff! We made the mistake of watching a week of Pantomimes on the television which were superb and the local performance wasn't a scratch on them.

In all seriousness, I do believe that children's love of the threatre can start with pantomimes and kids stuff. There's no point in taking them if they are going to hate it, all they will learn is that theatre is boring.

I was lucky that there was enough amusing stuff in the Shakespeare play that it didn't scar him for life or put him off theatre for ever.

I can't afford London but this thread has whet my appetite to see what's on at the RSC.

I agree. We took him to a proms last year - bit of Beethoven. He loved the whole atmosphere and we are definitely taking him next year. Will try to get tickets to the Dr. Who one I think as he's mad keen on it :)
    Forum Member
    For a first time visit to the West End (I hope that's where the theatres are! lol) what would people recommend seeing? Also what theatre would be best as a smaller one to start with?

Thanks x

I've listed some shows above :)

The smallest I can think of is the Gielgud or the Phoenix (Blood Brothers)

Most of the others are huge!

That's one of the things I love most about the West End, you look like you're walking through a street of terraced houses almost and there's whole worlds behind the doors :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks x

Do you like plays or musical theatre?

Musical theatre for the money

Mamma Mia - lots of fun and so much better than the naff movie.
    Lion King
    Phantom of the Opera
    Wicked
    Chicago
    Blood Brothers
    Cats was my all time favourite and I hope it is resurrected.

Les Miserables, We Will Rock You & Priscilla didn't work for me. There's loads more maybe lesser known shows of course.
    Forum Member
    I've listed some shows above :)

The smallest I can think of is the Gielgud or the Phoenix (Blood Brothers)

Most of the others are huge!

That's one of the things I love most about the West End, you look like you're walking through a street of terraced houses almost and there's whole worlds behind the doors :)

Thanks! I saw your list after I'd typed the first bit of my post :p

There are so many! :) I recognise most of the names, and I really love the way you have described the bit I put in bold.
    Forum Member
    Yeh, also taking my parents who are in their 70's and have never been there before. I think the Palladium has a big cachet for their generation as all the big shows came from there back in the day. We are in the Royal Circle. Should be a lovely night out.

I agree. We took him to a proms last year - bit of Beethoven. He loved the whole atmosphere and we are definitely taking him next year. Will try to get tickets to the Dr. Who one I think as he's mad keen on it :)

My son surprised me I was expecting to have to nail his butt to the seat for Shakespeare but it went really well.

Where is Dr. Who showing that would be really good.
    Forum Member
    ardwark wrote: »
    Do you like plays or musical theatre?

Musical theatre for the money

Mamma Mia - lots of fun and so much better than the naff movie.
    Lion King
    Phantom of the Opera
    Wicked
    Chicago
    Blood Brothers

Les Miserables, We Will Rock You & Priscilla didn't work for me. There's loads more maybe lesser known shows of course.

Even though I am a big fan of Shakespeare, I honestly would love to go and see a big Musical Theatre production, I reckon the buzz would be amazing :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plays tend to have shorter runs so you'd need to ask nearer the time for recommendations on that front.

For Shakespeare it surely has to be something at The Globe :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son surprised me I was expecting to have to nail his butt to the seat for Shakespeare but it went really well.

Where is Dr. Who showing that would be really good.

Whether its every year I am not sure. but The 2010 was in July at the Royal Albert Hall. BBC Symphony orchestra playing the music from the show. Matt Smith did a turn as well as his sidekick (can't remember her name). Lots of extras dressed up at all the different aliens (daleks, zybermen etc). Saw it on the telly at Xmas and it look great fun for the kids and the parents. Nice way to get them into full orchestra music without really realising it.
    Forum Member
    Something I saw recently really took my breath away with the performance of an actor. All it was as far as I can remember was a guy who did a scene on his own before others came on and it was during the royal variety performance a few weeks back.

Not sure what the play was or anything but he was so intense and had you captivated.