Options

Chromecast ?

killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
Forum Member
Is chromecast still the best device for casting from a PC to a TV or are there any better devices out there?

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what you are doing. if you just want to mirror a PC then a miracast dongle (need Windows 8.1 - not an upgrade from 8.0 though) may suit as it doesn't need internet or a router.

If you want to play apps like Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc then Chromecast may be better.

If you only want UK TV catch up plus sky content, a now tv box may be better.

Other alternatives eg roku also exist.

What do you want to do?
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up a chromecast at weekend, and don't think there's anything even close on price that betters it - but it does depend on what you want to do.

I've got mine controlled via my old 2012N7, which is about the only thing that old tablet is good for now. It'll happily stream youtube, iPlayer. Also have videostream running on the N7 and laptop, which means that I can happily stream the hundreds of movies I have on my laptop.

Brilliant device. Absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I do have one which I find works well, it's just that my some wants one and I was checking that things haven't moved on since I bought mine.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried Amazon fire TV stick thing but chromecast is still my preferred device with Android devices.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Is chromecast still the best device for casting from a PC to a TV or are there any better devices out there?

I don't know, but having just bought one, as I said in the other thread, it works perfectly. Just streams uninterrupted with good sound and picture quality. Found the TV immediately.

Seems like a real snip for the £30 I paid.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought you all might like to know....

Just checked my Chromecast offers and there's a FREE 2 month Now TV movies offer available to all who bought their Chromecast before January this year - even if, like me, you have already had a Now TV movies offer in the past.

There is also a Google Movies rental available too.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cant buy it at Amazon. They just banned it for now supporting Prime Video.

It is a pathetic excuse really, and seems to be more about Prime publicity seeking. They need toban Sky boxes Sky now, Virgin Boxes etc etc etc.
    Chromecast is a cheap dongle with low expectations. Theres no CPU secs published for the new Chromecast, I think, so maybe dont expect it to improve.

edit - well it hints at an improvement.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/30/google-chromecast-spotify-audio-apple-games
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    I do have one which I find works well, it's just that my some wants one and I was checking that things haven't moved on since I bought mine.

The new chromecast 2 has just been released - not quite sure when we will see it in UK.
    Usual crap in UK is to hold off until stocks of old are depleted.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For £30 it's a bargain.

I use mine with BubbleUPnP (on phone or tablet) to stream media from my NAS drive, iPlayer or Google Music. It just works.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For £30 it's a bargain.

I use mine with BubbleUPnP (on phone or tablet) to stream media from my NAS drive, iPlayer or Google Music. It just works.

I'll have to look up BubbleUPnP; I've been using Videostream on the laptop/mobile to stream and control video playback to the chromecast. Works pretty well, although the library functionality on the mobile client is a little basic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I'll have to look up BubbleUPnP; I've been using Videostream on the laptop/mobile to stream and control video playback to the chromecast. Works pretty well, although the library functionality on the mobile client is a little basic.

I've been using Bubble for ages and really like it. I recently tried Videostream as an alternative and while it has some nice features there wasn't enough to get me to change.

Bubble works really well with a DNLA media server (either its own, Plex, Synology etc). I think Videostream might be better if you just have a computer with local media.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    The new chromecast 2 has just been released - not quite sure when we will see it in UK.
    Usual crap in UK is to hold off until stocks of old are depleted.

Direct from Google the black one will leave the warehouse in 1 - 2 business days. The other colours October 12th

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/#?discover
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Direct from Google the black one will leave the warehouse in 1 - 2 business days. The other colours October 12th

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/#?discover

For a device which is going to live in a HDMI port around the back of my TV I really don't see why I would care what colour it is,
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For a device which is going to live in a HDMI port around the back of my TV I really don't see why I would care what colour it is,

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Saying that some use HDMI ports on the side of their TV, so may be visible in those cases.