Options

Hair thickening shampoos/products?

fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
Forum Member
My hair's always been fine and quite thin. I was told that it coarsens and seems thicker when it goes grey - they lied!

It's still fine and flimsy - great condition and I love my silver streaks but it's so thin. I don't want to go short and spiky because I hate that look on older women (Sorry to any who've got short spiky hair - it just isn't for me).

Are there any good hair thickening shampoos and conditioners on the market?

Comments

• Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking for something similar - i was reading reviews online of the lee stafford big fat range and I am thinking of going and getting this as it is on offer in boots for 3 for £12 and I have a load of advantage points to use!
  • Options
    leamay77leamay77 Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My hair the same, I had mine cut in to a graduated bob , which does make it look slightly better, but i have to use loads of volume mouse.
  • Options
    NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    fizzycat wrote: »
    My hair's always been fine and quite thin. I was told that it coarsens and seems thicker when it goes grey - they lied!

It's still fine and flimsy - great condition and I love my silver streaks but it's so thin. I don't want to go short and spiky because I hate that look on older women (Sorry to any who've got short spiky hair - it just isn't for me).

There are a lot of shampoos that profess to add volume to the hair but the truth of the matter is only by backcombing or backbrushing you can add volume to fine hair. Even better if hair is not clean because cleaner the hair the less volume it will naturallly have and the natural oils help to maintain volume, with unnecessary washing you are stripping your hair of these natural oils.
    Most often the overuse of these products you use to add volume actually do the opposite and flatten the hair.
  • Options
    suzielou1970suzielou1970 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I too have thin hair and the only shampoo that I buy is the Fat Sammy range - I use the shampoo and the conditioner - I found the syling products left it a bit sticky.
    I think you can only buy the range from Superdrug.
  • Options
    statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dry hair shampoo at the top, put lots of mousse in and don;t get it trimmed so often as leaving some more raggey ends really volumises it try leaving it for around three or so months rather than a six week cut

i just got mine cut into a funky bob this morning. still haven't dared to ombre my daughter though :)
  • Options
    SapphireUKSapphireUK Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I've been using a product by Phil Smith. A cream that you can use either with a hair dryer or without. It works for me and my hair definitely has more volume. You can get it from Sainsburys.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Has anyone tried the John frieda volumising conditioner. I tried it a while ago.
    It did make my hair look fuller but very staticky (if that's a word) and it smelt awful. I stopped using it because of the smell, and wondered if anyone else had the same experience
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's generally accepted that voluming products on hair only work for the day you style it. It actually adds weight and stickiness to the hair which in turn makes it look drab the next day. Also as fine hair can actually look more greasy we tend the wash it more often. Fine hair shows sebum build up more noticeably than thick hair and can make it look flat and lank.

After years of trying loads of products, I detoxed my hair by not using shampoo or conditioner at all for about 6 months. Don't be horrified! I did clean it but by using bicarb of soda, and apple cider vinegar rinse. This clarifies the hair, regulates grease build up, and more importantly gets rid of the damage commercial shampoos do to the hair. Did you know most shampoos on every supermarket shelf have a damaging amount of chemicals in it that actually strip your hair and ruin it. The same chemicals that are in car engine cleaner!

After 6 months I started using sulfate free shampoo and light paraben free conditioner. I dry my hair with only a light, heat resistant spray. I also use one of those babyliss root boost crimping irons when I'm going out which is great for adding volume. A good haircut also helps
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Osmo volumising shampoo and conditioner. In between washes I use a dry spray shampoo.
  • Options
    rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mane n Tail products are good. Order online.
  • Options
    NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently that Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo is meant to be really good, it is for men but its fine.. ;)
  • Options
    MayfairBlueMayfairBlue Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »

You can add body and volumise hair though a good styling creme as well as hairspray and by blowdrying the hair (if not aware already).

Start of though with a decent shampoo where your hair is conditioned and feels strong -

Agree with the person who's recommended Lee Stafford - I'd also consider Charles Worthington and the Umberto Giannini range - they are expensive, but they do also the little minatures that won't break the bank and you can get rid, if not taken to your fancy - good luck and happy styling :cool::)
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    For on-going/long term thickening solutions, supplements can really make a difference if you want to improve the density of the hair. I take fish oil, biotin and sometimes msm. My hair used to be paper thin and see through, but it isn't any more. I put that down to the supplements and cutting down on the heat styling. It's not going to happen over night though.
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can afford to invest in good, salon brands try Alterna. Their Caviar Anti-Aging range do a fabulous volumising shampoo. It's pricey (about £27 per bottle although lookfantastic or hairsupermarket may be cheaper) but it's definitely worth it; you only need a little amount so it lasts ages (the last bottle I had lasted over a year, when alternated with another shampoo from the same brand). All their products are SLS and paraben free, so no silicone or other nasties.

They also have lots of other products in the range, styling/heat sprays, gels hairsprays etc. The repair spray is brilliant!

I hope you find something that helps.