GoggleBox- Ch4

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Also sad they have been axed.

So when did Gogglebox become a politics show? I thought it was entertaiment! What have being in UKIP got to do with watching tv programmes.

I blame C4 for bringing Farage and the political items in. They never used to be shown.

http://huff.to/1wkrphu

‘Gogglebox’ family the Michael’s from Brighton have been axed from the Channel 4 show after it was revealed that dad Andrew is running as a Ukip General Election candidate.

The popular family were nowhere to be seen during last week’s episode after it was discovered that the retired hotelier had been picked to contest East Sussex seat, Hastings and Rye.

Despite being regulars on the show since it began, 55-year-old Andrew, his wife Carolyne and their two children, Louis and Alex, will no longer appear.

A Channel 4 spokesperson told The Sun: “Sadly any cast member becoming a party candidate will have to step down from involvement in Gogglebox.

“The Michaels have been excellent contributors and we are very grateful.”

The family, who have often discussed Ukip on the show, took to Twitter to tweet their frustration at being edited out of last week’s episode.

It’s not the first time a family has been axed from the show. The Gilby family were dropped after son George appeared on the last series of ‘Celebrity Big Brother’.

However, Dom Parker, one half of popular posh couple Steph and Dom, will still be appearing despite signing up for the next series of 'The Jump'.

WTF Dom is doing The Jump and will still be in the show !!!!

How did they think they wouldn't be dropped? He'll be forgotten about come May
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Expect one of them to enter CBB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    Why does your gender matter?

The comment you made suggested that you thought that the people on the other side of the debate to you were just "militant breastfeeders". I was merely pointing out that that wasn't the case.
    If I needed to breastfeed outside my home I would do it discretely so that no one around was aware of what I was doing. I would also have the intelligence to understand that some people are offended by a woman whipping her boobs out in public and would consider that when choosing where to feed.

And being discreet about her breastfeeding is exactly what the woman who was asked to cover herself up in Claridge's was doing. In fact, Claridge's actions made it more, not less, obvious that that's what she was doing.
    I'm having a go at woman saying that they have to feed when the baby is hungry. Hence they should be allowed to feed wherever they choose, yet at the same time they can orchestrate a mass breast feed in. Seems strange to me.

Sometimes people exercise rights that others are trying to suppress to show that they have those rights and won't be bullied into giving them up. Other times they'll exercise rights that they passionately believe that they should have in order to point out the absurdity that they legally aren't available to them.

Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr were in the latter camp often, and most people appreciate that they fought a good fight peacefully, but from what you've just written I think it's fair to say that you probably saw them as seditious criminals up to no good rather than honest, noble-intentioned human rights activists.

What a handful of women did to protest Claridge's absurdity was both legal and morally right.
    But mostly I hate bullies and people imposing their views on others simply by weight of numbers. The protest was crass and shameful and makes something that is beautiful - a mother feeding her baby naturally - into a method of forcing people to accept something they are reluctant to. I hate it and I hate them all for it.

You hate bullies? Great. It's because mothers were being bullied into breastfeeding in toilets (which isn't sanitary), etc that the law to protect their right to breastfeed in public without harassment was passed in the first place. And, as I've said already, the protest wasn't about "forcing people to accept something they are reluctant to" it was about getting a multi-million pound hotel to respect the law. If you must "hate" something or someone over this then "hate" Claridge's and the staff that demanded that the woman draw more attention to her breastfeeding than was necessary, causing her embarrassment and distress in the process.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I stopped watching weeks ago, no real reason just haven't caught it, I am not pleased the Michaels are going...I thought the Mum was crazy but the kids were cool especially Louis. He's so dramatic about everything. I bet they're all well pissed off with the Dad now. :D
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You hate bullies? Great. It's because mothers were being bullied into breastfeeding in toilets (which isn't sanitary), etc that the law to protect their right to breastfeed in public without harassment was passed in the first place. And, as I've said already, the protest wasn't about "forcing people to accept something they are reluctant to" it was about getting a multi-million pound hotel to respect the law. If you must "hate" something or someone over this then "hate" Claridge's and the staff that demanded that the woman draw more attention to her breastfeeding than was necessary, causing her embarrassment and distress in the process.

The restrooms in Claridges are gorgeous, I'd happily eat my dinner in them.
  • erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stand the mother and son in that family.... most annoying bliddy voice ever.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Michaels, i think they make some good points to be honest.

Not read the entire thread but as far as the breastfeeding goes, personally i dont think it is appropriate to do this in a busy restaurant, yes it is natural but so are lots of other activities but it does not mean i want to see it being carried our while im trying to enjoy a meal. I am sure you can express breast milk, bottle it and take it along with you if you think your child may want it....Bitty

Also a big thumbs up for adult only restaurants ./ pubs, nothing against people who take their children out with them but sometimes its nice to enjoy a peaceful meal without having the couple next to you constantly screaming at their kids or even worse just leaving their kids run around doing whatever they feel like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    I like the Michaels, i think they make some good points to be honest.

Not read the entire thread but as far as the breastfeeding goes, personally i dont think it is appropriate to do this in a busy restaurant, yes it is natural but so are lots of other activities but it does not mean i want to see it being carried our while im trying to enjoy a meal. I am sure you can express breast milk, bottle it and take it along with you if you think your child may want it....Bitty

Also a big thumbs up for adult only restaurants ./ pubs, nothing against people who take their children out with them but sometimes its nice to enjoy a peaceful meal without having the couple next to you constantly screaming at their kids or even worse just leaving their kids run around doing whatever they feel like.

But babies need warm milk which happens when its breastfed.

Why should a baby have to miss out because you dont want to see it? We have all been breastfed at 1 point in our lives
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTF Dom is doing The Jump and will still be in the show !!!!
    That does seem odd, seeings that that other family were dropped when the son went into Big Brother.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But babies need warm milk which happens when its breastfed.

Why should a baby have to miss out because you dont want to see it? We have all been breastfed at 1 point in our lives

Ye im pretty sure that keeping bottled breast or non breast milk in a fridge is quite common and then obviously warming it up using a bowl of hot water.

Why should i be put off my meal by a baby suckling on the tit ? We have all wanted to eat in peace at 1 point in our lives.

I just think there are better places to feed your child than in the middle of a restaurant.......Bitty
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    Ye im pretty sure that keeping bottled breast or non breast milk in a fridge is quite common and then obviously warming it up using a bowl of hot water.

Why should i be put off my meal by a baby suckling on the tit ? We have all wanted to eat in peace at 1 point in our lives.

I just think there are better places to feed your child than in the middle of a restaurant.......Bitty

A baby deserves fresh milk just as much as anyone deserves fresh food if you dont like it dont look its the 21st century now
  • Beverly HillsBeverly Hills Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That does seem odd, seeings that that other family were dropped when the son went into Big Brother.

Big Brother is on Channel 5 though ;-)
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an election year it would be hard to see how the Michael's could remain in Gogglebox. Back in 2010 The Apprentice moved from a Spring slot to an Autumn slot due to Alan Sugar being a Labour Lord.

As for why George was axed for appearing on Big Brother that has more to do with it being on Channel Five than anything else. Dom and Steph can appear on the Jump because its a Channel 4 show
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

Favouritism maybe?

Seeing as they interviewed Farage (I didn't watch that show) surely that is a bias of the posh couple? Very :confused:
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    abecern wrote: »
    Sorry but I agree with Farage on this. I think women should not be able to breastfeed in the open. It's just another step into a complete liberalising of this country, part of which has been to overly sexualising every aspect British life. I think it's disgusting breastfeeding in public. The feminist movement has gone too far.
    abecern wrote: »
    There is a place and time for everything. If women want to breastfeed in public then they could easily find a restroom. How long before allowing sex in public, claiming its natural? There has been a complete breakdown of British society. It just seems to me anything goes. I'd don't want to sit in a restaurant and have a woman across me breastfeeding her child. It's disgusting. I am there to eat food not throw up.
    I see the militant breastfeeders are out in force!

I fed my baby before leaving home and never found it necessary to feed in public. Perhaps these who do find it necessary should review their time management skills?

And wasn't it amazing how all those breastfeeding mothers managed to synchronise their babies feeding times so that they could all feed at the same time during the protest! Amazing!!

Wow! Seems like Time Travel is a reality after all! Breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world and anyone who tries to sexualise it or make it shameful are the ones with the problem. If you are really that offended perhaps you could ask to eat your dinner in the restrooms away from it all. After all if it is good enough for a new born baby it must be good enough for you!

It's 27 years since I breast fed my baby and I never once came across attitudes like the ones shown here then.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Seems like Time Travel is a reality after all! Breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world and anyone who tries to sexualise it or make it shameful are the ones with the problem. If you are really that offended perhaps you could ask to eat your dinner in the restrooms away from it all. After all if it is good enough for a new born baby it must be good enough for you!

It's 27 years since I breast fed my baby and I never once came across attitudes like the ones shown here then.

Perhaps people were uncomfortable with it but just too polite to say it to your face?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With people disapproving to this i wonder how they will react to sex itself?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother is on Channel 5 though ;-)
    Well that might have something to do with it. lol I suppose Jump is a channel 4 show?
    Favouritism maybe?

Seeing as they interviewed Farage (I didn't watch that show) surely that is a bias of the posh couple? Very :confused:
    Well favouritisim did cross my mind, but perhaps more its popularity. They seem to know that Dom and Steph are popular, especially as they asked them to do a 'spin off'.

As for that show, in some ways, it wasn't really biased, there was hardly any political talk. (Although its hardly balanced only having one party even though no major policies were discussed).

And as they were showing him to the door, Dom did tell Farage that he shouldn't expect him to vote for UKIP in May. Which was hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Well that might have something to do with it. lol I suppose Jump is a channel 4 show?

Well favouritisim did cross my mind, but perhaps more its popularity. They seem to know that Dom and Steph are popular, especially as they asked them to do a 'spin off'.

As for that show, in some ways, it wasn't really biased, there was hardly any political talk. (Although its hardly balanced only having one party even though no major policies were discussed).

And as they were showing him to the door, Dom did tell Farage that he shouldn't expect him to vote for UKIP in May. Which was hilarious.

Steph and Dom are the most annoying and fake thing about this programme
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What, in Claridges. :blush::D
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can live an entirely normal life for 100 years without coming across attitudes you can find in five minutes on Digital Spy.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    You can live an entirely
    normal life for 100 years without coming across attitudes you can find
    in five minutes on Digital Spy.

This should be clearly stated when signing up for DS. :D

Last episode tomorrow, anyone know when it's back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Oops, i thought this was the Gogglebox thread,, my mistake
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    I thought the concept of Gogglebox to be absolutely absurd with people sitting at home watching people sitting at home watching tv, but now these families are becoming celebrities themselves:confused:

What is going on here?
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Perhaps people were uncomfortable with it but just too polite to say it to your face?

I was living in Glasgow at the time, I'm pretty sure if people were uncomfortable they would have let me know. :)

Hahaha - yes I can imagine the rubber gloves coming out.
    Aneechik wrote: »
    You can live an entirely normal life for 100 years without coming across attitudes you can find in five minutes on Digital Spy.

That really ought to be on the front page of Digital Spy - possibly one of my favourite quotes ever.
This discussion has been closed.