Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In (Part 2)

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Are there any further rumours of a second companion being added into Series 9 or has that died down now?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead by now, I would imagine. But they're on Episode 5 so who nose, eh..

CapalPic: https://instagram.com/p/0khMzZDqdi/?taken-by=bbcdoctorwho
    Forum Member
    I hope not. The more I think about it, the more I think in the second half of Series 9, someone else should be added into the mix with Twelve and Clara.
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Twitter about the Time Dial thing...

"A source who wished to remain anonymous said that this object belongs to the Doctor and "CGI will be used heavily."
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Dead by now, I would imagine. But they're on Episode 5 so who nose, eh..

When Jenna-Louise (as she was then) joined mid-way through series 7, we must have known about her fairly early because when they sneaked her into episode 1, we were surprised to see her and shocked to see her die but we certainly knew she was the new girl in town.

On the other hand, Jenna was supposed to leave the show last series - twice! - and seemingly didn't finally decide to stay until the read-through for the Christmas special, so they may well have been well-advanced with auditions for a new companion and may well be in a position to introduce one mid-series.

If we did get a new companion mid-series, they could have fun with a jealous Clara. That's a dynamic we haven't seen in the TARDIS yet - two rival companions vying for the Doctor's attention: "Pick me, Doctor, pick me! I'm ever so brave......And pretty".

They touched on that when Rose and Sarah Jane first met in School Reunion. ("The misses and the ex" as Mickey so helpfully put it.:D), although they were soon as thick as thieves.

I think that now we have an older-looking, slightly tetchy Doctor, it would be a good time to bring back Jenny, the Doctor's Daughter. She always looked like a character that should return. Or have her own spin-off series.:D. If Georgia Moffett (no relation!) doesn't want to join the series full-time, they could bring her back for half an episode to film a regeneration scene (like Sylvester McCoy in the TV Movie).

Then you've got a good way to write out Clara - nose out of joint. Though a bit of a disappointment for those who want to see her leave in a hail of bullets. Or fall into the lava trying to retrieve the TARDIS keys from Dark Water.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'd be up for bringing Jenny back, but perhaps not as a companion...or if so as one of two companions.

We still don't know if Moffat will be around after Series 9 though, and they're doing a very good job at keeping absolutely everything hush-hush right now. If a new showrunner were to assume position for Series 10 they may wish for something of a clean-slate where a companion is concerned, and I also think that after years of Clara the show could use fresh blood too.

I like the idea of Clara leaving in the Series 9 finale (love the character to bits, but she'll be due an exit by then for sure), and then Moffat having his last-hurrah with a completely standalone Christmas special. Call it Twelfth Night, and like in Shakespeare's play of the same name it can feature 'a young woman of Messaline', and have an upbeat send-off for him. The new showrunner would be free to either convincingly vacate Jenny again making her a sort-of one-story companion akin to Wilf, or Astrid. Or they can keep the character, as Georgia Moffett or recasting via regeneration...so many options :D
  • kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    Killing Clara is the option I hope they take, it hasn't been done in the revived show and very rarely happened in the original run and as you say is a logical step to ending their time.

I think it would be good for the programme to actually do that story and show that travelling with The Doctor is playing with fire and characters could get burnt, they have played with this a bit such as The Doctor being worried about seeing Amy and Rory die if they keep travelling with him, and his conversation with Rory's dad where he said some of the people who have travelled with him have died. Also we see how companions lives can be affected by travelling with The Doctor and that's not always for good and family members can get hurt and all that, but they have never gone down the path fully and killed off a companion we have followed.

It would surprise viewers and remind them that there is peril in the DW world and to never take it for granted that the characters will make it out of whatever mad adventure they got themselves in this time (well at least when its finally time anyway :p) it would help add some dramatic weight, a shot in the arm which shows need now and then and one I think DW needs, one to keep the audience on their toes and not think everything will be fine. Though the cynical side in me doubts they will ever kill of a main character.
    You got no chance. They only wiped Donna's memory and there was uproar on here. It is family viewing so don't hold your breath for a real companion death.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    You got no chance. They only wiped Donna's memory and there was uproar on here. It is family viewing so don't hold your breath for a real companion death.

I know, wishful thinking, saying I doubted it would happen was me being optimistic :p

Though I really don't see why not there's plenty of death in family programs/books/films, I find it strange that people think because it plays to everyone it can't kill characters off, for a random example Harry Potter kills lots of beloved characters and the main theme of the whole thing is death.

There's no reason why DW can't do it, they just need to go there and anyone who has a problem with it then tough luck, that's how J.K.Rowling dealt with it, she had complaints that the books were getting to dark (as did the movies) and she ignored it and stuck to what she wanted to do, good for her, it was what was best for the story not oh I don't want to upset anyone so I'll play safe and not kill or do anything.

The idea that children can't handle death in stories is quite insulting to their intelligence, yet its a strange adult view that many people have.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    The idea that children can't handle death in stories is quite insulting to their intelligence, yet its a strange adult view that many people have.

If they made Bambi today, Twitter would go berserk and there would be more news crews doing live coverage of the scandal outside cinemas than punters queueing up.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they made Bambi today, Twitter would go berserk and there would be more news crews doing live coverage of the scandal outside cinemas than punters queueing up.

Haha :)
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Really? But Finding Nero started with the horrible slaughter of nearly an entire family. A huge one at that... Don't remember pitchforks and news crews. :confused:
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Really? But Finding Nero started with the horrible slaughter of nearly an entire family. A huge one at that... Don't remember pitchforks and news crews. :confused:

That was twelve years ago, before Twitter, Facebook and the current climate of offence existed. It was also about fish, which are delicious - as many self-proclaimed vegetarians will testify on their way to a protest about the meat industry. People who hunt and eat deer have as much regard by the Ofcom-bothering public as fox hunters. Finding Nero would get a 'Clarkson' style petition by the Twitersphere, whereas Bambi would get a 'Brand' style response. But I think we're over-analysing my off-the-cuff remark.

Mind you, Finding Nero came out after a certain radio presenter appeared on the Brass Eye special supporting the charity "Nonce Sence" saying, "Paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me... Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is a scientific fact."
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    That was twelve years ago, before Twitter, Facebook and the current climate of offence existed. It was also about fish, which are delicious - as many self-proclaimed vegetarians will testify on their way to a protest about the meat industry. People who hunt and eat deer have as much regard by the Ofcom-bothering public as fox hunters. Finding Nero would get a 'Clarkson' style petition by the Twitersphere, whereas Bambi would get a 'Brand' style response. But I think we're over-analysing my off-the-cuff remark.

Mind you, Finding Nero came out after a certain radio presenter appeared on the Brass Eye special supporting the charity "Nonce Sence" saying, "Paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me... Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is a scientific fact."

I enjoyed Brasseye immensely!

Anyway, I was also going to include Up! as a rebuttal too... So there! :p
    Forum Member
    Jenna's casting was announced around the same they started filming Asylum Of The Daleks and Samuel's was announced when filming for Listen and Time Heist began. If there's a chance we might get someone on board the TARDIS with Twelve and Clara, then I assume their casting will be properly announced when they start filming of course. I do think adding another companion for the second half of Series 9 would help keep the dynamic fresh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a picture of Toby Whithouse

https://instagram.com/p/0pnF13jqSD/
    Forum Member
    Cue Whithouse being announced for showrunner for the 2017 series lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Cue Whithouse being announced for showrunner for the 2017 series lol.

Cue the new companion being a vampire or a ghost.

The ghost of Clara Oswald perhaps. Then she can die and still be in it and EVERYBODY'S happy. (Grin.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and this was the day that Doctor Who became an even more valuable brand for BBC Worldwide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and this was the day that Doctor Who became an even more valuable brand for BBC Worldwide.

I suppose this was.

The beauty being the worst thing that could come from Capaldi thumping Moffat is Sylvester McCoy in a wig.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 9, episode 6: Star In A Reasonably-Priced TARDIS.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Zayn Malik from One Direction is leaving them, will there be a place in the Tardis for him? :)

On a serious note, I wonder if there will be a sneaky reference to Rose (episode title) in one of this year's episodes?
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    Now that Zayn Malik from One Direction is leaving them, will there be a place in the Tardis for him? :)

One Dimension?

I shouldn't try.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Filming pics

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/doctor-who-series-9-fan-8922360

Not exactly very revealing, but still.
    Forum Member
    Hopefully a big announcement about writer/director/guest stars for Block 3 will be done soon.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I rewatched Rose last night and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. Rose, Jackie, Mickey, the Autons smashing their way out of shop windows, Christopher Eccleston's stunning performance and an extremely witty script. Still as brilliant as ever.
This discussion has been closed.