Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Blimey...:o:o

Are those television 'soaps' or something..:confused:..weekly series? I don't watch that sort of thing so not heard of them, but those figures sound pretty mad to me! :o

They run for 10-16 episodes a series, one series per year so it's big bucks over a shorter period of time.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Also reported by Popbitch first. YMMV.

Well if Popbitch reported it too then it must be right!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It's in BBC's interests to keep the fee as low as possible and just do its best to meet its only goals: inform, educate and entertain. Meanwhile, you'd be better off as a cable subscriber to get the kind you like. In other words, you get what you pay for.
    Excellent post. :) I love a good fact and a good figure.
    whatever side of the Clarkson fence you sit on the real loser here is the BBC as WHATEVER they did there will have been a queue of other media outlets ready to criticise them and put more pressure on the incoming government to slash the licence fee.

Never a truer word. Rival media controllers would dearly love something to bring down the BBC for obvious and not-very-impartial reasons. Its is mildly amusing, but depressing as well, to see people like Littlejohn railing against a story that involved a man threatening and punching a smaller man without any reason and not getting away scot free. He must have lost his string-em-ups from the cut and paste collection.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good - Clarkson's been interviewed and done the decent thing by at least telling the trolls to lay off the producer.

Whether they will or not is another matter (they didn't bother with the facts about who complained after all) but it hopefully might help lay this all to rest for a while now.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Ah, 'well-placed sources at the company'.

They're certainly never wrong.
    They must have access to the same insiders as the guy I was replying to.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    laurielou wrote: »
    Good - Clarkson's been interviewed and done the decent thing by at least telling the trolls to lay off the producer.

Whether they will or not is another matter (they didn't bother with the facts about who complained after all) but it hopefully might help lay this all to rest for a while now.

This seems to be a requisite of wrongdoers these days. They are also apparently responsible for all the Twitter trolls and it's their job to call a halt to their behaviour. Strange times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also have a record of sacking presenters for far less serious than Clarksons episode so even if he was lucky enough to get a job with Sky, he wouldn't last five minutes.
    But Rupert's a fan!...

TBF the Radio Times article I read said that the Sky source seemed to be more worried about the effect on their advertising revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In other words, you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure what I get now for my hundred and odd quid a year. Vanessa Feltz blathering on on Radio 2 for half an hour as I drive into work perhaps. Bargain.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't decide whether you were being facetious, or genuinely didn't realise the BBC don't have that kind of money or that BBC and HBO/AMC/Showtime have different structures and purposes.

Don't have the money my backside. If an episode of Eastenders really does cost 250k (shown 4 days a week) then they have more than enough money to create some higher quality TV. They seemed to have the money and power to protect Jimmy Savile as well, so i'm sure money wouldn't be a problem for this sorry arse company.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey...:o:o

Are those television 'soaps' or something..:confused:..weekly series? I don't watch that sort of thing so not heard of them, but those figures sound pretty mad to me! :o

:D No, weekly genre drama. The costs are due to three usual hungry beasts: location, production costs and salary. I think salary is the hungriest.

The financial difference also may have to do with the fact British TV productions and American TV productions are structured differently. British TV broadcasters tend to prefer to let producers and co. get on with their jobs to keep the costs low.

American TV distributors tend to collaborate as much as they can to get the best out of their investments. As in, HBO executives and other relevant parties contribute to the creative and decision-making process of making an episode, which can sometimes increase the costs.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Well if Popbitch reported it too then it must be right!

Not at all, which is why I added 'YMMV'. I personally think that two sources are slightly more credible than one.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't have the money my backside. If an episode of Eastenders really does cost 250k (shown 4 days a week) then they have more than enough money to create some higher quality TV.

What should they do with those three now-vacant slots if they adopted your suggestion to create a weekly slot of higher quality TV?

Remember, they won't have any money to spare as the money (allocated to four episodes per week) would be spent on higher quality TV.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I get now for my hundred and odd quid a year. Vanessa Feltz blathering on on Radio 2 for half an hour as I drive into work perhaps. Bargain.
    Doesn't your radio have any other stations? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol. I did once have a car radio that was stuck immovably on something called London Jewish Radio. "And now for news from the synagogues!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to be a requisite of wrongdoers these days. They are also apparently responsible for all the Twitter trolls and it's their job to call a halt to their behaviour. Strange times.

Not really strange at all, since they were apparently doing it in his name and defence.

It's the very least he can do, frankly, for his own PR in this sh*tstorm as much as anything. Staying silent was just exacerbating the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Probably, I haven't figured out how to work it yet though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really strange at all, since they were apparently doing it in his name and defence.

It's the very least he can do, frankly, for his own PR in this sh*tstorm as much as anything. Staying silent was just exacerbating the problem.

As I said...
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    LOL, never has a truer word been said.

Damn that predictive text :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done that man. I hope the idiots feel a bit silly now.

(I'm not sure that the BBC transcribing his name, as said by Clarkson, as 'Ois' really works. Shouldn't it be 'Osh'?)
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the three of them will go off and start their own show now? Netflix apparently offered a spot for Clarkson and said he'd have free reign.

Could they still call it Top Gear, or is that some trademark name or something? :p Not that it really matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done that man. I hope the idiots feel a bit silly now.

(I'm not sure that the BBC transcribing his name, as said by Clarkson, as 'Ois' really works. Shouldn't it be 'Osh'?)
    I've just spoken to someone who worked on the programme (believe me or don't :D) and he was/is indeed known as "Osh" by the production crew and pretty popular with them to boot.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably, I haven't figured out how to work it yet though.
    Yes these new fangled digital things can be a bit of a pain after using valve powered analogue where at least you got a big knob to play with.

Just hit the button marked 'scan' or 'search' and keep going until it finds something you like. You might enjoy the nostalgia stations. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said...

Not sure what you did say, really, tbh.

A huge number of idiots have been waging a serious Twitter hate campaign against this producer, including issuing death threats, he's had to go into hiding, it's more than a little unpleasant, and they are specifically doing it in Clarkson's name.

Of course Clarkson's not personally or directly encouraged their actions, but any celebrity or public figure with half a brain would make very sure they publicly distanced themselves from something like that if it was supposedly being done in their name and still escalating. It's called damage limitation. Pretty basic strategy in the circumstances, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you did say, really, tbh.

A huge number of idiots have been waging a serious Twitter hate campaign against this producer, including issuing death threats, he's had to go into hiding, it's more than a little unpleasant, and they are specifically doing it in Clarkson's name.

Of course Clarkson's not personally or directly encouraged their actions, but any celebrity or public figure with half a brain would make very sure they publicly distanced themselves from something like that if it was supposedly being done in their name and still escalating. It's called damage limitation. Pretty basic strategy in the circumstances, I'd have thought.

You're right, but most members of the public with half a brain know he isn't really responsible for Twitter trolls doing what they do, and yet it is almost demanded that he has to come out and tell them to stop, because not to do so "exacerbates the situation", suggesting direct involvement and / or responsibility for them.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    His sad little face will be staring out of a portion of cod and chips today :cry: Or would be if Political Correct madness hadn't stopped the practice of wrapping take away food in newsprint, damn you bearded EU boffins >:(