How to remove oil stain from blocks on drive?

GemwbaGemwba Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

My car has left a big and ugly oil stain on my drive which despite rain, old father time and efforts at jet spraying have failed to remove.

Can anyone here recommend a method or treatment for removing oil stains? My drive is blocked paving stones.

Cheers! Gem :)

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petrol will dissolve oil - try that

HOWEVER I think oil cannot be removed from tarmac surfaces etc - which is why when a lorry crashes and leaves an desel spill on the carriageway - the carriageway has to be resurfaced
  • GemwbaGemwba Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply! I'm willing to try anything! :)
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard oil can't be removed from tarmac/brick drives either.. it stains it IIRC a bit like the way bleach stains clothes.. Although don't quote me on that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeyes driveway cleaner is supposed to be good at removing oil stains...as is washing powder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemwba wrote: »
    Hi,

My car has left a big and ugly oil stain on my drive which despite rain, old father time and efforts at jet spraying have failed to remove.

Can anyone here recommend a method or treatment for removing oil stains? My drive is blocked paving stones.

Cheers! Gem :)

You'll never be able to get the stain out completely. Buying and fitting replacement bricks is an option. So is lifting the bricks and turning them over assuming the oil hasn't penetrated/discoloured the other face.

And when jet spraying your block paving be very careful not to blast the sand away. Pressure washing isn't normally recommended for block paving.
  • GemwbaGemwba Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the replies!!!! considering all recommendations on here!!!

Cheers my dears!!! :)
  • windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    someone told me a product called Gunk would get oil stains out. Might only work better on block paving though.
  • ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard bog standard washing up liquid does the trick!
  • liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coca-Cola
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunk is pretty good, have you considered blasting it with a high power pressure washer?? you would have to do the whole area but it might be worth a try (even if it doesnt remove all of it you will probably find its less noticable).
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Hi.

I had the biggest oil stain ever on my greyish block paving driveway. It must have covered over a dozen blocks.

I tried everything but to no avail. I then bought swarfega from B and Q and tried that. Straight away it lifted the oil up and it was then left stained. I applied and rinsed off once a fortnight and over the next 6 months or so a combination of this and the sunlight on the drive the stain is now invisible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    As mentioned, Cola usually works.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windowseat wrote: »
    someone told me a product called Gunk would get oil stains out. Might only work better on block paving though.

Yes, you don't want to use it on tarmac surfaces.
  • UnforgivenUnforgiven Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I asked the very same question months ago and I tried the washing powder suggestion...it didn't work :( ... so I await any successful replies from you! :D
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get most of the stuff off with gunk or, if you can find any these days...Jizer (Green tin).Then use brake cleaner, you can buy it in 5 litre containers if you need a lot.
    Jizer and brake cleaner will wash away and will not leave residue.
    Brake cleaner is a brilliant cleaning agent. I use it to remove oil stains all the time. Brush it on and wipe it up