Central heating timer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
Forum Member
Hi guys I have a very old central heating system that has a back boiler, but it works and it works well so I don't want to replace it, but my problem is I have an old timer thing at the top of the cellar with the 4 prong timers, I'm wanting to know if anybody has any rough estimates of how much it would be to change this to one of those remote timers that u can carry about. Cheers guys.

Comments

• AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atomania wrote: »
    Hi guys I have a very old central heating system that has a back boiler, but it works and it works well so I don't want to replace it, but my problem is I have an old timer thing at the top of the cellar with the 4 prong timers, I'm wanting to know if anybody has any rough estimates of how much it would be to change this to one of those remote timers that u can carry about. Cheers guys.
    I have a different idea :)

Assuming the timer is basically working then why not use it to set the hot water only. Leave the heating on 24/7. Replace your room thermostat with one of these:

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/What_is_a_programmable_room_thermostat.html

I did that several years ago. Fitting them should be easy because they are designed to fit the existing wall box. The new ones only use two wires and installation is no harder than wiring a plug. I actually bought an optimum start model. Instead of telling it when to come on you tell it what temperature and when. It then decides for itself what time to start.

http://www.heatmiser.co.uk/support/article-145.html

Edit:This seems to be the current version of mine:

http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=CM907

I also bought an add-on module that sets the time according to the MSF signal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Hi, sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure it would work on mine, my heating is either on or off I have no thermostat and the rads are so old none have valves to turn them up or down so they are on full constantly.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    atomania wrote: »
    Hi, sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure it would work on mine, my heating is either on or off I have no thermostat and the rads are so old none have valves to turn them up or down so they are on full constantly.

Then you could really save some money with a portable wireless timer/thermostat.

The receiver part usually plugs into the mains beside the boiler and in addition only requires a simple 2 wire connection, either at the boiler or the old programmer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Hi,so I'm a little confused, I have no mains near my boiler or current timer, but could I plug the thermostat in our living room and control it by that?

I have actually changed the timer before years ago but with the exact same lol.

Could you possibly tell me what exactly I would need to be able to have a remote as I have no idea at all. Thankyou for your time.