Options

Drinks to get in for a lunchtime buffet?

fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
Forum Member
I don't drink (apart from the occasional glass of rose) so I need some advice here.

We're getting married in December and we'll be putting on a small buffet lunch for our families before we all go by taxi to the venue. I think I should provide a drink for those who want one before we go. I haven't a clue what to get in.

I don't intend it as a huge binge, just a glass or two of something for those that want it. We'll only have 8 guests at the house so I don't want to get lots of stuff that won't be drunk. I wondered getting 3 bottles of wine - one each of red, white and rose but maybe that would be a bit girly for the men?

Can anyone help with a clue please? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Get some cheap champers for cocktails (bucks fizz, mimosa etc).
    A pack of bud or corona for the fellas.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Get some cheap champers for cocktails (bucks fizz, mimosa etc).
    A pack of bud or corona for the fellas.

I reckon that sounds about right. Thanks :)
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or a jug of Pimms. Nice and festive.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    sweet dessert wine. Get everyone a bit merry for later!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or a jug of Pimms. Nice and festive.

I wouldnt say Pimms is festive...

OP, how about some mulled wine? A nice touch at that time of year :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »

Of course it is. It's a party drink, for any kind of happy convivial occasion. 'Festive' doesn't just mean Christmas.

festive adjective
    1.pertaining to or suitable for a feast or festival
    2.joyous; merry

Pimms can be made as strong or as weak as you like, too, so if you don't want people getting too merry so early on, you can adjust the proportions accordingly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OP, how about some mulled wine? A nice touch at that time of year :)

Pimms always makes me think of summer garden parties

mulled wine sounds fab, although I'd say get a six pack as well, and possibly a non-alcoholic but still slightly 'posher' looking thing like schloer (cannot spell that at all)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is. It's a party drink, for any kind of happy convivial occasion. 'Festive' doesn't just mean Christmas.

festive adjective
    2.joyous; merry

Pimms can be made as strong or as weak as you like, too, so if you don't want people getting too merry so early on, you can adjust the proportions accordingly.

Pimms is for summer, when strawberries and mint are in season. Thanks for the language lesson though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pimms is for summer, when strawberries and mint are in season. Thanks for the language lesson though.

You're welcome :)

There's no law that permits us to consume Pimms only in summer. And it's not obligatory to serve Pimms with either strawberries or mint, there are plenty of alternatives. There is more than one kind of Pimms as well. Pimms No 3 is even marketed as 'Winter Pimms'. HTH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're welcome :)

There's no law that permits us to consume Pimms only in summer. And it's not obligatory to serve Pimms with either strawberries or mint, there are plenty of alternatives. There is more than one kind of Pimms as well. Pimms No 3 is even marketed as 'Winter Pimms'. HTH.

Indeed - called 'winter Pimms' as its brandy based and recommended to be served with orange and spices - quite similar to mulled wine really, which is a lot more ready available. As a former landlady/licensee, the drinks lessons are not required. Thanks all the same!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    What kind of foods are you having in your buffet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mulled wine idea is nice, very festive. Sparkling wine is good, asti, prosecco or cava, can always add a drop of cranberry or orange juice to make it a bit cocktaily. A pack of lager/beer/cider and as someone said, shloer. I love it, comes in so many different flavours and is such a lovely drink, quite special
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my son got married we had members of our immediate family at the house prior to the ceremony. We had champagne, orange juice for Bucks Fizz, beer. lemonade and cola.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

festive adjective
    2.joyous; merry

Any booze meets that criteria :confused:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed - called 'winter Pimms' as its brandy based and recommended to be served with orange and spices.

Also very pleasant with apple juice or ginger ale. Just had some in fact. :)