Anyone here ever taken Metformin?

fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
Forum Member
Did you get the 'gastric upset' side-effects? How soon did they kick in and how long did they last?

I'm in my 4th day of taking it and I was doing okay until a couple of hours ago. :(

Please can anyone offer advice about the duration and how you coped with it? :cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep!

I stayed indoors for 3 days, after 2 days it got a lot better but was still too cautious to venture out until after day 3.

I still got the met belly even after a few weeks if I took it too long after eating, you need to take it absolutely no more than 5 minutes after you've eaten. Obviously for some people it doesn't affect them and the 5 mins isn't so critical, but if you have the starting met belly then I'd say you are more sensitive and to make sure you eat enough plus take the tablet pretty much immediately after eating.

It does get better. I'm off of it now (I took it for circa 5 months) , I'm not diabetic and was prescribed it for something else that is now controlling itself as the Metformin did its job in getting my insulin not overproducing.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Husband takes it, he was told 10 days on half strength then up it if all ok, if not he was to go back to doc and it would be changed (this is in Spain) but he has been fine
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Thanks, both of you.

If it stays at today's level, I'll stick with my full dose (500mg twice a day) until I go to the clinic on Monday but if it gets any worse I'll have to drop to one a day to see if it helps. I'll ask for advice when I get to the clinic anyway.

I take it during meals as that's what my pharmacist recommended.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'm on 4 a day and never had real problems, but regularity increased and constipation became a thing of the pars until I started liraglutide about 2 months ago
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    fizzycat wrote: »
    Thanks, both of you.

If it stays at today's level, I'll stick with my full dose (500mg twice a day) until I go to the clinic on Monday but if it gets any worse I'll have to drop to one a day to see if it helps. I'll ask for advice when I get to the clinic anyway.

I take it during meals as that's what my pharmacist recommended.

I tried taking Metformin and despite perservering for months, I couldn't get over the gastric upsets, which were on a daily basis and interfered with my ability to do my work. The hospital put me on Gliclazide instead and that has worked fine for me. (BTW some internet forums on Metformin refer to it as Metfartin' - for fairly obvious reasons :D)
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the gastro symptoms don't settle, ask the clinic for a modified release version. As the name suggests, this releases the drug gradually rather than all at once, and it helps some people with the less pleasant effects.

And if that doesn't help, there are a whole host of drugs that can be tried if metformin isn't tolerable.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^
    Mrs Diva went onto the modified (slow) release after suffering with the original one.She's fine with the S/R version
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on it for about 4 weeks now - started off on a single dose then after 2 weeks doubled it.

I've had a few side effects, cramps but not too bad. Still not regular but more constipated than loose. I checked my nurse yesterday who said it was normal, but I'm going to need more soon so will be checking with my doc.
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on 3 x 500mg a day for about 6 years.

Only trouble I ever had was the first 3 weeks of "room emptying" flatulence scores of times a day.
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I'm on the slow-release one as the other gave me awful runs. These do sometimes but not as often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter ended up in hospital when she first had them. They did wonders for her sugar levels though! She has the slow release ones now but is still very sensitive and sometimes misses one if she isn't having a full meal because the side effects seems much worse then. They suggested she increases the dose, but her body just won't cope with it, she wouldn't be able to leave the house.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had problems with Metformin, so was put on the s/r version, no improvement, so GP changed me to Januvia, been fine on that for 2 years now.
    Forum Member
    Everything seems to have calmed down quite a lot today. I'll be glad to get to the clinic tomorrow to discuss it though as I still feel bloated and a bit sick.

It's not helping that I've got no idea what my blood sugar's like now and haven't since Wednesday morning. I'm not sure how my GP expects me to adjust my diet at a time when I've just started the Metformin and haven't been issued with any means of testing my levels yet.
  • XOXoAbbieoXOXXOXoAbbieoXOX Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the S/R ones and they work a lot better for me than the regular ones. Used to get quite sick on the other ones
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything seems to have calmed down quite a lot today. I'll be glad to get to the clinic tomorrow to discuss it though as I still feel bloated and a bit sick.

It's not helping that I've got no idea what my blood sugar's like now and haven't since Wednesday morning. I'm not sure how my GP expects me to adjust my diet at a time when I've just started the Metformin and haven't been issued with any means of testing my levels yet.

Will your surgery supply you with a meter? If so you are lucky, I had to buy one, but I do get the lancets and testing strips free.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been taking it for 5 years now and still have irregularities - rather than upsets more "can't go for a week" from time to time. I got used to it. ;)
    Forum Member
    Red Whine wrote: »
    Will your surgery supply you with a meter? If so you are lucky, I had to buy one, but I do get the lancets and testing strips free.

I was told they would - I'll have to see tomorrow.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been refused them - I've asked twice! I've been told that I don't need to worry about it and far too many people get too hooked up on their sugar levels and it's not good.

This is the nurse, I'm guessing I'll need to see the doc soon as I'm going to need more meds soon. I'll ask him again what he thinks.

Side-effects wise, today hasn't been a good day which doesn't help when I've been at work. However I'm going to ensure I take the tablets within 5 mins of eating as I've read and see if that helps. If not I'll try to see if I can get the SR version instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blood glucose testing is an interesting thing. The meters aren't actually prescribable on the NHS, but sometimes the manufacturers will provide them for free (through your surgery), because they make money when the NHS prescribes the testing strips. Testing is obviously essential in some situations (people who take insulin being the obvious example), but for some people it's not particularly helpful and can cause harm (often in the form of anxiety, guilt, and people berating themselves for not doing better).

The golden rule is, if you're going to *do* something with the test results (adjust insulin dose, guide lifestyle choices, or even just motivation) then testing is appropriate. If the results do nothing but sit there unused, and leave you with sore fingers from all the blood letting, then you really are better off not testing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I have been taking Metformin for 6 years. I did have upset stomachs when I first started taking it. I explained this to my GP and he prescribed an antacid called Lanzoprazole and that has stopped the symptoms completely.
    Forum Member
    Errodiel wrote: »
    The golden rule is, if you're going to *do* something with the test results (adjust insulin dose, guide lifestyle choices, or even just motivation) then testing is appropriate. If the results do nothing but sit there unused, and leave you with sore fingers from all the blood letting, then you really are better off not testing.

They offered me one this morning - presumably one of the company freebies - but I'd already done some research and worked out how much the strips were going to cost for that brand.

I do want to test - for motivation and for making sure I've got my diet on the right track - so I've just ordered a slightly more expensive machine that will be much lower in running costs.

Good news today though - no need for kidney function tests and my blood pressure is already coming down. the metformin side effects are much less so I'll keep going with it for now.

Thanks to all for the advice.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Red Whine wrote: »
    I had problems with Metformin, so was put on the s/r version, no improvement, so GP changed me to Januvia, been fine on that for 2 years now.

I take Metformin and Januvia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They offered me one this morning - presumably one of the company freebies - but I'd already done some research and worked out how much the strips were going to cost for that brand.

I do want to test - for motivation and for making sure I've got my diet on the right track - so I've just ordered a slightly more expensive machine that will be much lower in running costs.

Good news today though - no need for kidney function tests and my blood pressure is already coming down. the metformin side effects are much less so I'll keep going with it for now.

Thanks to all for the advice.

You can get the strips on prescription, particularly if you demonstrate to your GP that you're using the results in the way you describe. But getting the cheaper strips on prescription is a bit of a good deed for the NHS, I suppose!

Congratulations on the improvements you've already made! Hope you continue to see change, and that you feel better for it :)