Satelitte question?

squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi new to this forum so please don't shout at me if this is really obvious. We moved into this house nearly 3 years ago. There is a dish attached to the side of the house with a big long cable that comes into the living room. We've never had sky or things like that. We have freeview and were going to update our box as it won't work at switchover, then we read about Freesat.
What I'm wondering is do we buy a box and plug it into the dish and will it work? or do we see if we can borrow one of someone to see if we can get it to work? and do we need anything else. or will I need to get a dish fitted as well?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Its always worth checking that the dish is ok by borrowing a friends sky or freesat box first, if it works then all you need to do is decide what type of box you want.

Many of the people here will offer advice without shouting at you, welcome to the forum.
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you we're going to ask round our friends to see if we can borrow one and try it, it's got to be worth a go, before we buy one, we thought freesat looked quite good but it depends on this dish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The requirements for Sky and Freesat are exactly the same. A box, a dish that's pointing at the correct place in the sky, and cable to join the two.

The uncertainties in your case are:

1. Whether the dish is pointing at the right place. Chances are that if it's a small oval dish of the type you see everywhere then it's been used previously for Sky and is already pointing at the right place.

2. Whether the dish is operational, or rather, whether its LNB is working and of the correct type. the LNB is the thing that sticks out on the arm.

3. Whether the cable is connected and not broken anywhere.

But certainly, borrowing someone else's box will clarify if everything is in place. If it doesn't work, then you'll have to investigate the above points.