DHD4000 Post-DSO

Pop RobertsPop Roberts Posts: 571
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello All,

My local transmitter (Hannington) has just switched over, and my DHD4000 doesn't seem to like the new signals!

It will still pick up the Crystal Palace Muxes and for the past two weeks we were also watching the new BBC Mux from Hannington to get the local BBC news programmes. I did a re-scan today to try to get all muxes from Hannington and get nothing. I know the signal is good as I am getting all from Hannington ok on a Sony STB. Signals don't seem too high, some are good and some are medium strength on the Sony, but the Thomson won't have any of it. I've even tried a factory reset and that didn't help.

I have two aerials one for Hannington and one for CP. I know that the signal from the Hannington aerial is getting to the Thomson, as I can see CP analogue signals off the back of the aerial using the RF loop-through plugged into the TV.

I thought that the DHD4000 was still supposed to work post-DSO? What experiences have others had?

Cheers,

Pop

Comments

• Pop RobertsPop Roberts Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears that manual tuning will bring in some of the channels, but it can take quite a while for the box to resolve the channel even then. It will sometimes find the post-dso channels on an auto scan, but just as often it will tune straight past them!

Pop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    The 4000 seems to be very inconsistent in it's tuning results post dso, auto or manual. Do 3 auto tunes and note the progs it gets and you may get 3 different lists. I found persistence is the only way - keep going until you get the stations you think you should have, then stop!
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to get all the channels I wanted stored after Crystal Palace DSO with a combination of auto and manual tuning. However, it now struggles to actually get a picture onto the screen when I select a channel for viewing (just stays black) though once it gets one it is fine with no breakup at all.

Also, the signal meter on the setup page often produces no reading on any one of the Mux, even though I know the signal level is actually 9 or 10.

Before DSO it was fine.

Looks like retirement time for mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that if you tune to a channel and get a black screen, just press the "Guide" button. The picture soon appears in the small screen top right, and then press "Enter" and the channel is now found.

Its a shame that it is a bit temperamental post-DSO, but it still records fine (no black screens so far!). I've also found that the only way to get a full channel list is a mix of auto and manual scanning.

I'm going to continue to use it as a PVR, and will soon be upgrading the TV to one with an internal Freeview tuner, so the blank screen problem shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,

Pop
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Pop. I had already relegated the lovely 4000 to a secondary role because of the EPG issue, so this was just another irritation. I am in the process of bringing a Humax into use as well as the Topfield which I got when the EPG problem happened. It is a bit complicated running three at once (plus an HDD DVD Recorder) so once I am happy with the Humax the 4000 will go into retirement (like me!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    My DHD 4000 never worked properly after DSO. It found all the channels but they stuttered all the time. I think this was do to not coping with the increased signal strength.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nwg wrote: »
    My DHD 4000 never worked properly after DSO. It found all the channels but they stuttered all the time. I think this was do to not coping with the increased signal strength.

I wonder if you tried an attenuator? Although I didn't suffer from problems associated with too much signal, I found that I could insert about 36dB of attenuation after DSO to reach the point where the signal was just starting to break up. Much of this excess signal was due to the removal of the "Guildford Notch" from the Hannington transmitter.

The only real problem I have now is when recording one (or two) programmes whist playing back a previous recording. The previous recording plays back fine, but there is some stuttering on the new recordings. As long as I don't view old recordings at the same time, new recordings work fine. I think its time to look for a replacement!

Cheers,

Pop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I did try one of those and it didn't do stop the problem enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    The DHD4000 can work post DSO (mine does) but mileage seems to vary. Search down the forum (go past 1 year ago) to find other reports on this. I found that changing channels could be glitchy but recording worked no problem. No 1 precaution is to ensure it's tuned into the correct UHF channels (by using manual tune if necessary). Don't use mine much anymore but keep it as it still works and could be used as a stop gap if any of the other boxes dies.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    I'm in the Tyne Tees region and both of my DHD 4000s have become useless overnight. I got around the initial autotuning problems with a manual tune but now all channels are unwatchable due to constant freezing and stuttering.

I've tried both attenuating and boosting the signals but nothing seems to help. Meanwhile our Pioneer Plasma is perfectly happy with all channels on the same feed. :confused: