Letters wearing off keyboard

Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
Forum Member
✭✭
I bought this Logitech keyboard on the 6 July 2007 because the letters had worn off my old keyboard, but, hey, at least they lasted a couple of years. It's the wireless/mouse package because my mouse was giving in too. Just over 3 months later I've just come to notice that my M is all but disappeared and one of the arrows on the arrow keys is going fast. Ok, there's obviously an issue of disappearing letters on keyboards but, christ, I'd expect them to last more than 2 or 3 months!

Doing a google it seems the letters disappear on this particular keyboard faster than most, so there's no point me asking for an exchange. Seeing as the thing is shortly going to be completely unfit for purpose, do I have the right to demand a refund or at least an exchange for another make/model?

Can anyone recommend a decent black keyboard that letters don't wear off please? This package wsa £24.99. I don't mind paying up to about £50 for something multimedia and something that will last.

Comments

• radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the same problem with my wifes computer.So we went to Tesco & bought a Tesco value keyboard & mouse for about £8. Not wireless , but then less can go wrong.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who needs letters on a keyboard? ;)

Nah seriously, if it's just the M and one of the arrow keys that are starting to go, what are you worrying about? I presume you still know what those keys are. By all means go ahead and buy a new keyboard, but is it really all that urgent with only 2 keys effected so far?
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it shows you use the M key more than the others!

At school, on different keyboards, the most popular letters to rub off seem to be A, N, R an T...

We do love a rant in this country :D
  • Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can touch type then there shouldn't be a problem :confused:
  • bpreceybprecey Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    If you are not happy with this, I would take it back. I expect it has a years guarantee like most things seem to these days. I think, you would need to take it to the retailer you got it from, failing that contact Logitech.
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Mine is a Philips and it's just a few months old and the letters are fast disappearing. Mainly the e,u,o,a,s,h,c,n.

It also has a nasty habit of not printing the p either unless you hit it two or three times.
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of getting slagged off by Microsoft haters! heh

I've had one of these (Mouse and keyboard package) for a few years, they were £60+ when I got them, but now £30 on Amazon.

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wireless-Optical-Desktop-Elite/dp/B0000CGUTP

This version has done me well, tho' pretty much dated now, because the mouse takes batteries (rather than a recharge pad, tho' the batteries last months) and the new versions are bluetooth (around £70).

The keyboard (no chance of the characters fading) and mouse are very comfortable and for £30, they feel very high quality and I'd still very much recommended.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its got a 12 month guarantee so I would take it back and get a new one.

I have the same problems with my keyboard, but only a few letters are wearing out . . . O, N, R & P. Don't know why?:o
  • Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Saitek Eclipse. Looks swish, and the letters aren't printed on but are the gaps where the key colour isn't. Can't see me having any probs with this for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    How about one of these:
    http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

It is a bit on the expensive side though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people seem to be hard on keyboard letters. A friend of mine has an incredible ability to wear off all the letters. I don't know if it's abrasive fingers or a tendency to rub at the key rather than hitting it.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. It's not a rant - it's a sensible question regarding a keyboard that has letters wearing off after only 3 months of use and, according to other customer's reports, the rest will go soon too. I don't have much of an issue with half an M missing and half an arrow, for now...as I can touch type, but my 7 year old son uses this pc a lot and needs to know what letters are where and if half of them are missing in a couple of month's time the keyboard is utterly useless. Just learning, he looks at the keyboard all the time for the letters.

The 'urgency' is regards to my rights to have a replacement - obviously these letters are all going to start wearing fairly shortly off according to other people's reports and the longer I leave it, the less likely I'll have a leg to stand on.

I'm confused as to why it's just the M for now. I wonder if the M is something my son uses a lot on one of his games. That would explain the arrow key too I suppose. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about one of these:
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/

No letters to rub off :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd just write the letters back on in permanent marker. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    gyles wrote: »
    What about one of these:
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/

No letters to rub off :)

You know you're a true geek when you look at that and consider putting it on your christmas list :eek:

But what happens when you need to press PrtScr or Ins. Surely even the geekiest geek in the universe still needs to look at the keyboard for them!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy some Tippex.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CS Aye wrote: »
    Personally, I'd just write the letters back on in permanent marker. :)
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Buy some Tippex.

I might just do that, not the point though is it. You buy a keyboard, you expect the letters to stay on, or am I just expecting too much? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the past 5 years ago, I've been using Cherry entry-level keyboards exclusively. Not only are they wonderfully comfortable to type on (and virtually silent), but the labelling on the keys doesn't seem to fade even the slightest bit! On top of it all, they're dirt cheap too.

I cannot recommend them enough. :)

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=43QG
  • winactivewinactive Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luvsnail wrote: »
    For the past 5 years ago, I've been using Cherry entry-level keyboards exclusively. Not only are they wonderfully comfortable to type on (and virtually silent), but the labelling on the keys doesn't seem to fade even the slightest bit! On top of it all, they're dirt cheap too.

I cannot recommend them enough. :)

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=43QG

Mmmmm....Cherry Keyboards.

Makes me nostalgic for my first build, I did a lot of research and they are excellent build quality and comfortable to use with good 'feel'. Glad to see they are still around and haven't vanished due to the £1.50 membrane rubbish that seems to be everywhere.

Paid £13 for mine, retail. Looked nice and worked very well. Fell in love with Microsoft Keyboards after the durability of the Intellimouse persuaded me that MS actually make great peripherals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I have a Saitek Eclipse. Looks swish, and the letters aren't printed on but are the gaps where the key colour isn't. Can't see me having any probs with this for a while.

Oh really???

My Saitek Eclipse II is four months old. Not only are the letters e, r, t, i, o, a, s, l, c and n transformed into grey blobs, the black surface of the keys has almost worn off as well. Far from being one of the best keyboards around, this has turned out to be the worst I've ever had from any manufacturer at any price.

So much for the much touted "laser etching", a process that means nothing at all where durability is concerned.

As soon as I can find the sales receipt for this over-hyped piece of junk I'll be sending it back. But where is the keyboard that will last, say, two years?

Or is that just too much to ask nowadays. . .
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed a few of the letters were disappearing on my desktop keyboard, but a damp cloth wiped over them brought them all back as good as new.

Dare I ask if you've tried that? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is one simple answer to this, and it is "Logitech".

Try your local Tesco's they have a great wireless mouse/keyboard from Logitech at a fantastic price.

But the standard keyboard one is only about £15.

I'm a touch typist and have had Logitech keyboards for years - and even the oldest one has absolutely no hint of wear on the keyboard. lettering (not that I need it).

For me, I've found that the name "Logitech" at the moment results in faultless operation, no matter what it is. They've never let me down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Microsoft Wireless keyboard and Mouse. I've been using them daily for just over a year and there are no signs of wear yet....I've just had to change the batteries in the mouse for the first time.

I'm not Microsoft's biggest fan, but I'd recommend the wireless keyboard and mouse based on my experience. :)
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    There is one simple answer to this, and it is "Logitech".

Try your local Tesco's they have a great wireless mouse/keyboard from Logitech at a fantastic price.

But the standard keyboard one is only about £15.

I'm a touch typist and have had Logitech keyboards for years - and even the oldest one has absolutely no hint of wear on the keyboard. lettering (not that I need it).

For me, I've found that the name "Logitech" at the moment results in faultless operation, no matter what it is. They've never let me down.

I had a Logitech keyboard that I must have used daily for 7 or 8 years and it was still in near-perfect condition when I retired it for a shiny new Logitech G11. Unfortunately, these days a lot of modern equipment just isn't built to last. I still only use Logitech for keyboards and mice, but always go towards top of the range ones, as they do seem to have a better build quality.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Tippex was quite toxic.

Enamel paint from a model shop is probably best.