Comments

• Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I see the expert who studies TV is back :p

Surprise surprise :rolleyes:

I must admit I find the figure a little low but ratings is such a complex area that to say a show is doomed using just the overnights is getting a little tired.
    A show is doomed when the overnights, final figure, audience share and AI all hit the floor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »
    Surprise surprise :rolleyes:

I must admit I find the figure a little low but ratings is such a complex area that to say a show is doomed using just the overnights is getting a little tired.
    A show is doomed when the overnights, final figure, audience share and AI all hit the floor.

I think the viewing figures are still quite healthy in comparison to the other shows watched at the same time.:)

Gotta remember it's still another long weekend which we've never had before, well not this long anyway for Mayday. I expect next week will pick up.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Just read the episode thread. Glad to see the stuff I was confused with was mostly "not yet explained". Or just detail. It was a cracking episode.

Has anyone mentioned the absence of a caption for Nicholas Courtney? I thought they might have one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest we keep ratings discussions to other threads, but nobody sane would suggest a BBC show was in any danger while it remained one of the most popular non-soap dramas on television and particularly while revenue from overseas sales, DVDs and paraphernalia was so healthy. Direct revenue from advertising slots is of course absent in the case of BBC broadcasts.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    5th lowest overnight since 2005, ouch, sorry, no way to put a positive spin on or excuse that one, one million of last week's viewers didn't feel at all compelled to see the conclusion to the story, If it doesn't start levelling out next week and continues to drop slightly each week, they're going to have to stop putting other shows first and schedule it right. Hopefully the autumn will see it bounce back a bit.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    meh, overnights are overnights, the show is still going strong.

Anyway, yes, Doctor Who Fans :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Anyway, yes, Doctor Who Fans :p

Hello! :)

Excellent episode last night, although I'm not a patient person so series-long arcs are a bit frustrating! I hope that the excitement of the first two episodes doesn't dent the excitement for the 3rd episode. The trailer looks great but I want answers :D
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read that apparently the finals for TIA are 8.86m so that is quite a jump and exactly what we expected.

Sorry, I know people don't really want ratings chat in here but if I even see the ratings thread out there I am likely to go and stand in between the Silence and River and pray she doesn't stop firing.

Someone just had the pleasure of being the first ever person on my ignore list too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Just read that apparently the finals for TIA are 8.86m so that is quite a jump and exactly what we expected.

Sorry, I know people don't really want ratings chat in here but if I even see the ratings thread out there I am likely to go and stand in between the Silence and River and pray she doesn't stop firing.

That's great news isn't it :) I'm afraid I've been dragged into the ratings thread, it's getting quite violent in there! I'm just not sure why "fans" of the series find the need to use ratings as a sign that the show is rubbish. Accept the overnights as what they are and move on, don't try to read the shows fate in them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the ratings bores will be contrarians, whom you'll find everywhere. Some of them may be anti-BBC types. Some of them will be just plain old trolls. Please let the ratings thread die.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats a stunning time shift there, 2.2 million. :)

Regarding last nights ratings, there has been a big drop from episode 1 to 2 every year except series 2 (boosted by football) and 4 (small drop), so it was always likely. Series 1 there was a drop of 3 million, series 3 1.5 million, series 5 1.5 million. Seems perfectly consistant to me. The idea that the ratings will keep dropping by the same amount here on is slightly ridiculous, and shows lack of recognition of past trends.

Further, I don't think any excuses need to be made for the second most viewed programme on a Saturday night though, especially not if we can expect massive time shifts.

Anyway, in terms of opening episode ratings, it's possibly not that helpful to compare to past series given how much later the series started this year, but even so

episode 1 ratings:

Higher than series 2 and 3, slightly lower than series 4.
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Well, you can tell the new series is back in full swing when this thread drops half way down page 2! It is a busy forum again!

I see the DW sub-forum has been shifted to the TV forum...

*goes off to figure out where Cult has gone*
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cult no longer exists. It has regenerated into US TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha i did have a bit of a heart attack when i logged on here!:D :o
  • Options
    Forum Member

Found it, thank you! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what i make of the lay out yet. I guess we will have to get used to it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness for the voice of reason - it's a bit mad out there and we moved!

Hope you had a good day, Muttley.

Do we reckon Canton will be back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Thank goodness for the voice of reason - it's a bit mad out there and we moved!

Hope you had a good day, Muttley.

i hope he will at least have a cameo role later this series...:)

Yeah had a good day thanks...good job i've a good sense of direction, no one sent me the forwarding address! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, Doctor Who had a final 43.3% share last week, higher than even BGT managed later in the evening....and a higher share than any series opener than Rose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebo...I love you! *sniggers*

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how people are claiming the show is doomed for poor ratings. I don't know about you but it's been another glorious weekend and well being that we live in the UK people like to be outside in the sun.

Personally until the level of the stories get to get worse and the viewing figures drop to 2.1 or whatever then we need to start to panic.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Here's my theory on who I think the little girl regenerates into:
    I think the little girl regenerates into the Doctor that we saw killed. This is because the girl was created by the Doctor's DNA which was stolen by the Silents. The "future" Doctor is not really the future Doctor but the Doctor borne from the girl. The "real" Doctor knows this which is why he chose to "go on adventures" rather than go back and find the young girl. However, Canton stays close to the "new" Doctor who also shares the real doctors thoughts. To end the Silents reign properly The Doctor has to die so the "new" Doctor works hard to devise a plan which will see the demise of The Silents once and for all!

There are reasons for this:
    Firstly Canton knows him, so it's possible that young Canton works alongside the "new" Doctor in order to devise a plan that will work! It takes 42 years which is why Old Canton is there!

Secondly it would make sense for this to happen as The Silents could then be following "new" doctor so forming a distraction for real doctor!

Thirdly, I think it's a good idea! I hope it's not right though as I don't want people to think I've cheated and been looking for spoilers because for once, I haven't!

That makes loads of sense and is what I fervently hope will happen.
    Tumpy wrote: »

I've just watched the episode again on BBC3 and at the end the Doctor says something like "Goodbye till the next time, Canton", to which he replies "I'll look forward to it", so unless he means the beach scene, I'm crossing my fingers he'll be back soon.

Coincidentally I'm about to borrow the Firefly series DVD from a friend (I've never seen it) and I gather from remarks on this forum that Mark Sheppard is in it? Really looking forward to that. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic viewing figure and a whopper of a percentage share for The Impossible Astronaut! Let's hope we can get a massive timeshift (which I expect we will) this week too! :)

Little niggle I know, but I wish DS would stop referring to Arthur Darvill as a "guest star" in their articles - he's a proper regular now! No more "guest starring" than Matt Smith :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coincidentally I'm about to borrow the Firefly series DVD from a friend (I've never seen it) and I gather from remarks on this forum that Mark Sheppard is in it? Really looking forward to that. :)

Not in every episode, but yes, he pops up a couple of times. I loooove Firefly!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    Not in every episode, but yes, he pops up a couple of times. I loooove Firefly!

I've heard good stuff about it. :)

Even seeing Mark S now and again will be good.

What was Ken saying about being fickle a few pages ago? Canton is vying for my affections with Rory something drastic. :)

(Don't tell k9fan - or clever chick)
This discussion has been closed.